Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking over accessories for the sub2k gen2 (9 mm) I recently purchased. My wife and I really enjoyed the first trip to the range, and functioning was flawless with a box of Federal FMJ 147 grain. The carbine had been carefully cleaned and freshly oiled, and we heeded the good advice given here not to "limp wrist" the sub while firing.

FMJ 115-grain NATO was slightly less successful, with one FTF in 30 rounds, but I sort of expected that with the lighter bullets until more rounds are put through the firearm.

At home, I had found the trigger was impossibly heavy right out of the box -and I've shot in both pistol and rifle competition. Curiously, the solution was an easy one: just apply a few drops of a light gun oil to the trigger assembly and work it in. The trigger is now still on the heavy side, but quite managable and surprisingly clean in breaking for the shot. Neither of us gave any thought to the trigger weight at the range, so I may put off installing a metal trigger and spring kit. Once again, Kel Tec surprised me!

Both of us found the bolt a bit hard to work. My wife doesn't always have the upper body strength with semi-autos anyway, and has to work out the right ergonomics for each gun. For me, it was mainly an issue that my dominant hand is in a cast right now, following thumb surgery; nonetheless, I can't say the bolt is easy to manipulate. (This mainly concerns me in case of the need to clear a malfunction.)

So,

-Would installing an extended bolt handle help? Right now, all we have is a plastic bolt handle cover in place. I would think a longer handle would work betters, but don't want to just throw money at this and that accessory without first benefitting from all the experience on this forum.

-A related question also occurs to me. A second carbine in .40 S&W is on the way. I know some people add a Sumo heavy bolt handle to help supply additional inertial mass to the blowback system, esp. In the .40. Does this handle also help at all with cocking and bolt manipulation?

Thanks for considering my questions!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally, I’m not a fan of the extended bolt handles. I like things as least intrusive as possible... and extending something down like that doesn’t do it for me. But it is one of those things you’d have to try out yourself. Don’t know if Amazon has any on there, but if you buy through them... can return it if you don’t like it/want to get something different.

For the trigger, definitely recommend looking up MCARBO. I did their entire product line, minus the bolt handle, on mine. Trigger is night and day from stock. Makes the gun feel less like an airgun.

Having the .40 and Sumo/brass bolt, I like the manipulation for it. It is the same height as the stock handle, but wider. I had mine plated to match the gun (nickel boron version).

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I have several subs, and on one of the 9mm S2K I installed the Twisted Industries extended charging handle. It's nice. I got the stainless steel version. Absolutely perfect for people with weak arm/hand strength or a disability/handicap. There is the clearance issue, but so far has been completely irrelevant. No issues, and everyone in the family can not only charge the weapon, but can also lock the bolt open much more easily with the extended charging handle.

Oh, and as far as the .40 shoot it through break in before you start changing things on it. Also your trigger may or may not get better through break in. Usually it gets somewhat better as the parts start to smooth out through use.

That said have you heard about the Tacticool three piece comfort pack?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have several subs, and on one of the 9mm S2K I installed the Twisted Industries extended charging handle. It's nice. I got the stainless steel version. Absolutely perfect for people with weak arm/hand strength or a disability/handicap. There is the clearance issue, but so far has been completely irrelevant. No issues, and everyone in the family can not only charge the weapon, but can also lock the bolt open much more easily with the extended charging handle.

Oh, and as far as the .40 shoot it through break in before you start changing things on it. Also your trigger may or may not get better through break in. Usually it gets somewhat better as the parts start to smooth out through use.

That said have you heard about the Tacticool three piece comfort pack?
Thanks for the kind replies.

I have the Tacticool pack, if that is the one with the nice dense foam tube cover, bolt handle tube, and internal recoil buffer (which I elected to try after a break in period.

The trigger on the 9 mm must have been bone dry at several critical surfaces for a few drops of oil with PTFE to make it manageable.

I am definitely curious to compare the .40 to the 9mm when the former gets here (it was on sale at a price I just couldn't refuse). This 9 mm has pleasantly surprised me to such a degree, that other than trying an extended bolt handle, my wife and I are definitely going to shoot both these guns on several range trips, and a few hundred rounds, before doing more in the way of modifications.

It's good advice for which I thank you, as well as several other members in another thread. Still, it's sort of neat to have the "look what I just found under the Christmas tree" excitement again at 66, and think about ways I can trick it out, even if I don't need to follow up on most of the mods.

Several experienced shooters gave me strange sideways looks last Saturday, when I took the S2K out and unfolded it at the local range. THEN they all wanted to know what I was shooting -that is, after they saw how easily and quickly I punched one large, ragged hole in the target at 25 yards offhand, even with one hand/forearm in a cast. It wasn't hard! The peep rear is optically kind to aging eyes.

The S2K seems to be a clever, accurate, and very shootable package. Reminds me a lot of when I first discovered the Ruger 10/22 years ago. Wow. Serious but oh-so-much fun at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I’m not a fan of the extended bolt handles. I like things as least intrusive as possible... and extending something down like that doesn’t do it for me. But it is one of those things you’d have to try out yourself. Don’t know if Amazon has any on there, but if you buy through them... can return it if you don’t like it/want to get something different.

For the trigger, definitely recommend looking up MCARBO. I did their entire product line, minus the bolt handle, on mine. Trigger is night and day from stock. Makes the gun feel less like an airgun.

Having the .40 and Sumo/brass bolt, I like the manipulation for it. It is the same height as the stock handle, but wider. I had mine plated to match the gun (nickel boron version).

Very nice looking set up. The angled forearm is definitely going on my gun, as I know it will improve tactical handling, and I like the two extra mags on the single point sling. Lean and handy. Thanks for the pics!

While I plan on this being a very fun gun to shoot, I have a serious considerations as well.

A few years ago, I was the alternate juror on a "home invasion" trial. Four young, but already career criminals randomly picked a standard middle-class house in a residential neighborhood, seemly because they thought their visit would be all the more unexpected. They burst in and literally terrorized the family. Three punks had handguns, and they repeatedly pistol whipped all five family members, permanently disfiguring several, and crippling and nearly killing the teenaged son, although no-one offered any resistance. Indeed, if so provoked, I remain convinced (and this thought sickens me) that they would have killed one or more people without a thought. All they got was little more than several ATM cards, some cash, and a handful of jewelry for all their mayhem. Two days later our great LEOs rounded all of them up.

I've had a lot of time to think about that incident. Even though I've held a Master's ratings in bullseye as well as the equivalent in several practical pistol disciplines, after just one trip to the range, I am now thinking a well-broken in S2K (or two) might have been the best defensive weapon that night. It would faster on the multiple targets than any shotgun, and easier and quicker than using a handgun in the same caliber. The extra "punch" from the longer barrel would have been welcome as well.

So being able to smartly clear a jam is important. I think it is worth trying the extended bolt handle for that reason alone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A few years ago, I was the alternate juror on a "home invasion" trial. Four young, but already career criminals randomly picked a standard middle-class house in a residential neighborhood, seemly because they thought their visit would be all the more unexpected. They burst in and literally terrorized the family. Three punks had handguns, and they repeatedly pistol whipped all five family members, permanently disfiguring several, and crippling and nearly killing the teenaged son, although no-one offered any resistance. Indeed, if so provoked, I remain convinced (and this thought sickens me) that they would have killed one or more people without a thought. All they got was little more than several ATM cards, some cash, and a handful of jewelry for all their mayhem. Two days later our great LEOs rounded all of them up.

I've had a lot of time to think about that incident. Even though I've held a Master's ratings in bullseye as well as the equivalent in several practical pistol disciplines, after just one trip to the range, I am now thinking a well-broken in S2K (or two) might have been the best defensive weapon that night. It would faster on the multiple targets than any shotgun, and easier and quicker than using a handgun in the same caliber. The extra "punch" from the longer barrel would have been welcome as well.

So being able to smartly clear a jam is important. I think it is worth trying the extended bolt handle for that reason alone.
If a group of intruders gets the jump on you, no weapon is going to win out. That’s why we have dogs, an alarm, specific landscaping/house layout, etc. Getting to the gun is one of the last things... but you definitely need to be comfortable with it, if a determined individual does get that far.

In regards to a broken in SUB-2000... it definitely will work if you learn and implement it into a useable role. With that same consideration, you can make it better with a few upgrades. Main one... the trigger. If you dry fire the gun, take note of the interaction between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard... the two connect and flex against one another. I was in the “leaving it stock” boat when I got it, until I noticed that.

In regards to trigger pull, the stock trigger is as utilitarian as it can be. My original pistol caliber carbine was a Beretta CX4... which had a crappy trigger from inception (mine was one of the first imported). Kept it stock for years... and tried the SierraPapa trigger kit. Again, night and day... but I never recommended it to everyone for the price (does its job just as the similar parts from MCARBO, but can’t expect it to do all the work for accuracy). I felt it was just personal preference.

Come up to me getting my SUB-2000. Never had anything other than targets to explain differences in setup, but got the MantisX for dry fire practice. Tossed it on the KelTec prior to changing anything with the trigger out... and there was a lot of movement due to the rough pull. Way more than I ever expected. Put in the MCARBO stuff, pre-pull movement was greatly reduced. Take it for what it’s worth.

While I definitely suggest shooting the guns first, especially the .40... I also never suggest something I am not familiar with (furthest I’ll go is say I’ve heard good/bad about it). If you are planning on shooting the guns a lot, I’d look at the upgrade (in future), as you likely will see benefits over the long haul.

For the charging handle, I don’t really grasp it... sort of speak. I put it in the web of my off hand, between thumb and trigger finger, and manipulate it. If I need to use my dominant hand, I just put the handle on the side of my trigger finger lower knuckle (closer to the thumb), and move my arm. Having the Sumo with more surface area horizontally, I can just favor one side and get it into the slot. But I will state I am half your age, and don’t have any hand issues currently to deal with... so completely understand if my way isn’t useful for your situation. Just expanding on my original post.

It would have been awesome if KelTec implemented a last shot bolt hold, which would have reduced the need to pull back on a heavy spring/bolt, but I guess it would have complicated the design too much (as well as make different magazines near impossible).

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
The original Sub-9 had last round hold open feature.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't keep the feature. As far as the charging handle, I wish it had a side charging handle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The original Sub-9 had last round hold open feature.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't keep the feature. As far as the charging handle, I wish it had a side charging handle.
Likely due to the ability to use all the magazines for the design, without greatly changing it between the Glock and multi-models. If you get a new set of polymer receiver halves, and the magazine release, you can convert a multi SUB-2000 to a Glock version.

For the handle, it is a tube design... like a STEN gun. For a side charging handle, you really can’t do it that easily (magazine in the pistol grip, instead of out in front), since the front of the bolt lines up pretty close with your face when it is in its rearmost position. On the tube, you’d have it where your face likely would rest.

Trust me, I’d love to see them do a design change like what happened with the LCP II... taking a design and giving it something that A LOT of people want (slide locking back on empty; not going down the Ruger/KelTec thing), but it likely isn’t possible without making major changes or increasing costs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.