irritated is an understatement...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by artimus_prime, Nov 28, 2007.

1. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I bought my P3AT back in March. Right out of the box, the magazine wouldn't stay seated in the gun. Off to Kel-Tec at my expense. Never fired a round. Problem is fixed and I take my pretty new pet to the range. I leave frustrated. Nothing but FTE's. I'm not limp-wristing, that's FTF's. Takedown, clean, lube, buy extra mag and two +1 extensions. Go back to range. More FTE's no matter the ammo. Go back to range, a loose assembly pin falls out when fired and slide somes off frame. Result= recoil springs lost. Springs replaced by Kel-Tec. Solutions on forum= become novice gunsmith, buy more tools, work on gun. As a result, I have lost all faith in my CCW. Kel-Tec has good customer service, shoddy product. I wasted my money. My trusty S&W Sigma has 3000 rounds and not one failure... and I've never had to fix a thing.  

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    ap,

I took a look at all nine of your posts and have a few questions.

1. Have you shot the 3AT since you've installed the new springs?
    2. Why did you not ask for a new assembly pin when you got the springs?
    3. Why did you never ask for help on this FTE problem
       or even mention it on your first post on 11-18-07?
    4. Did you do any research before you bought the 3AT?
        since you got the gun in March and didn't post here until November
        I would assume, no.
    5. If you're that frustrated with becoming a "novice gunsmith"
      why not send it back to KT with a detailed description of the issues and let them fix it?

If you want help, we can help.
    If you want to get $100 for that 3AT PM Wilson.
    If you don't want to be a novice gunsmith send it to KT.
    If you want to b*tch, take it elsewhere.

IMO, you've insulted KT and KTOG members and compliments will get you nowhere  :-?

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with your P-3AT. It happens sometimes, and it really hurts when it happens to be you.

I was fortunate with mine - over 2500 rounds without a single gun induced failure.

Most people get a good one. Occasionally someone gets the lemon - sorry it was you. :'(

Bobo

4. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I bought somewhat of a lemon myself and it has been at KT for five of the six weeks I've owned it. However, I trust KT will fix the problems and send me a working pistol. I'll not complain here. If I do it at all it will be where I can do some good. :)

Just my thoughts.

Reggie

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Take it to KT. Here we help people fix em not complain about em. When you called KT did you tell them as you told us that the pin had came lose and  it had happened several times. There could be frame damage from not having pin installed properly ( it can't be in properly if the grip is bulged as you stated and this is not shoddy product in MHO it's careless and dangerous to try to operate in this condition ) and if the frame is damaged it must be returned for proper repair/replacement.

6. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Bought mine in August, used, one round through it. Did not know at the time but it was owned by a gentleman I had worked for and with over the past 30 years. I did not know anything about Kel-Tec until I started reading up on cc weapons. I had to F & B mine also. I found it interesting and learned a lot about the guns and some of the problems. I have not had problem one in the last 200 rounds and that includes 50 today that my son in law put through it with not a probem. He was happy and enjoyed the outing. There are lemons in anything manmade. Buck up and work with Kel-Tec. These weapons are very good. LOVE mine and looking to get a P9 next year. Good Luck. :)

7. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Artimus: Hang in there ,like everyone suggested send the gun back to kel-tech with detailed instructions.They,ll make it right. Thanks to a pm from Jocko I fixed my frame bulge issue.Did,nt even have to hit it with a hair dryer.nice sraight line along the slide now.No big ting....l.

8. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Bummer, although when my assembly pin came out, it was because I did not seat it properly. I now use the back of the small screwdriver I use for disassembly to press the pin until it "pops". Never comes out this way. I suspect that is what happened to you there.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That OUGHT to be on the opening pages. I like it alot.

-Scott

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    That sucks but it happens. It doesn't seem like there's a gun in this size and weight you can buy and not run some risk of having problems out of the box. Send it back to keltec and have some different ammo to try in it when it gets back. Maybe a cooling down period would help you out.

11. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    Rubb, that has to be the best advice ever given to a noobie! ;D

12. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    the way I see it, there are a few things that do not make sense

1. purchased in march, presumably of 2007, sent off to repair, march 2007, at his own expense. he must not have been very nice to erica on the phone. i have neverp aid to ship them a new weapon that does not work, they have always sent a call tag.

2. did you not use it from the time it returned until November of 2007? That would indicate either it sat in a safe not being used, or you were carrying an untested firearm to protect your life. either way, both are bad, just different degrees of so.

3. have you talked to KT about the pin? My guess is the grip bulged and it was no seated properly.

oh yeah, and BTW, on this one I call SHENANIGANS.
    :-?

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I feel your pain, well some of it anyways. Mine had FTExtract right from the getgo. First call to Kel-Tec said to run another 200 rounds through the gun. Did that but no improvement so second call got me a new extractor shipped which fixed that problem. Next was the mag started to fall out when shooting even though I NEVER SLAMMED THE MAG HOME! Researching mag problem is how, I believe, I first found this forum. Got me the metal catch which solved that problem. Read here about "peening" and sure enough my gun showed signs (Ser # J2Rxxx). Bought nylon washers to mitigate that problem and will send the slide in once I get a second P3AT in HC.

Point I'd like to make is that the P3AT is such a great CCW for me that it has been and is worth all that I've been through to get the gun reliable. I'll have zero problems with my HC model, right. :)

Hang in there ...

14. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

1. I just got the springs yesterday, so no I haven't shot it yet.
    2. I also installed a new assembly pin with the springs yesterday.
    3. I didn't mention the FTE's because I researched it on the KTOG and didn't consider my P3 to be "broken in" yet.
    4. As for your ASSumtions, I certainly did research the P3AT. Two friends highly recommended it and I also shot it. They never mentioned any such issues with their P3's.
    5. I have sent it back to Kel-Tec before. This is neither convenient or cheap to Fed Ex ground a firearm.

If I want to b!tch, I will b!tch. It's my right as an American as much as it is your right to respond and make false assumptions.

Thanks to jocko for helping with the frame bulge issue.

Soybomb- You are right. I should've cooled down before posting. My apologies to all.

virtual-rjhauser- i never spoke with an Erica. When I sent the weapon off, it was a gentleman on the other end. We worked through a couple of different solutions and I was very nice. I had taken it to the range about three or four times between the time I got it back in March to the most recent issue in Nov. Some FTE's were the only problem. Those have gotten less and less, but I still get a couple per range day. Also, the pin is now replaced and the frame bulge fixed thanks to Jocko and his PM.

KelTekCajun- I'm not a noobie!  :)

Rubb- I'm sorry you took this so personal.

15. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    That OUGHT to be on the opening pages. I like it alot.

-Scott
    [/quote]

Wow! Can we put that as required reading during the Registration process? Would save us from a lot of extra typing to get that across right at the beginning!

16. That OUGHT to be on the opening pages.  I like it alot.

-Scott
    [/quote]

Wow!  Can we put that as required reading during the Registration process?  Would save us from a lot of extra typing to get that across right at the beginning![/quote]

I agree, but with revisions!

Seriously Artimus... if you really like the gun as far as size, weight, and punch, hang in and keep working with it.

I had a heck of a time with my first one, and came very close to chunking it in the pond.  But I am a happy camper now, and trust my life with my 3AT today.

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    AP - again, we are sorry that you are having problems, and as you have seen, can help you with some of them, but I do want to clear up a couple of things:

You have NO right to complain HERE, American or not.  This is a private place and none of us has a right to say anything here unless permitted to by the owner, moderators.  If you want to exercise your American right to complain, go do it at the town square which is where that right is protected.

And you are a noobie, at least at KTOG.  Maybe not to guns, the internet, or anything else, but by definition you have about 10 posts and that makes you a noobie (newbie) around here.

Again, we'd love to help, but you will get A LOT more of it with a slight change in posting style.

-Scott

18. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Scott,
    You are absolutely right as I am a newbie to KTOG, but not to firearms. I know there's always more to learn. I don't want to argue with you or anyone else on here regarding free speech. That was never my point anyway. I appreciate the posts and the advice I have received from fellow KTOGers here. I just didn't appreciate the blasting I took. I apologized for posting while ****ed off. I expected my firearm to just work.  I understand maintenance, but I got frustrated having to replace parts and having the issues I had (am having).

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Frustrations are totally understandable and many here have felt them and can empathize.  What you have found out is that the KTOG community is fanatical and does not take lightly to general, non productive (other than emotional release) complaining.

Most KTs work straight out of the box like we all would like, some do not.   I think its fair to "expect" that they will, but they may not.  What most of us really like is that they have very few (if any) actual competitors for size, power, etc. AND they are very inexpensive.  They can be made right and nearly all things you can do yourself if you are inclined (which is something you can't say about a lot of other weapon mfg's) and if you can't/don't want to, KT will make it right but that might require some shipping/expense/more frustration.  

BTW - you don't have to ship them overnight and can do it for as little as about $5-8; we can help you with that.

Anyway, weclome again and like others have said, you will more than likely work through all these problems to find this is one of your favorite pistols.

-Scott

20. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Scott,
    agreed. thanks for your understanding man. sorry my frustration got the best of me.