Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is the response I received from Kel-Tec Customer Service when I asked them what to do when the slide gets jammed when trying to remove it.

"pull the assembly pin, if it gets stuck a little, just bump the back of the slide with a rubber hammer or block of wood, it will come of, sometimes then jam up a little. no problem."

Sure glad that the Glock is my favorite! Too bad they don't make the P3-AT.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
JDL said:
Hi,
This is the response I received from Kel-Tec Customer Service when I asked them what to do when the slide gets jammed when trying to remove it.

"pull the assembly pin, if it gets stuck a little, just bump the back of the slide with a rubber hammer or block of wood, it will come of, sometimes then jam up a little. no problem."

I've done the block of wood thing.

The 3at's are not Swiss watches ???

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jim---I guess I should keep that in mind. I only bought it for handy concealment so I guess I shouldn't complain as long as it fires. And, so far I've had little trouble with it at the range. It only frustrated my that it did what it did when I tried to break it down. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
JDL said:
Hi,

This sure sounds like a thread on GT.

It seems to be a common glock problem, as well.

JerryO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi JerryO,
I don't know about that. I have Glock models 26 and 30 and have put over 2700 rounds total through them in the past 5 months without even one problem. And, I've never had the slide lock up and jam when I took them apart for cleaning.

JDL :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
JDL said:
I too love my Glocks. However, you and I both know that there’s not a snowballs chance that Glock would ever push the envelope to manufacture a feather-weight pocket pistol like a P-3AT. A lightweight slide simply can’t plow through dirt, debris and lint like a heavyweight slide. That being true, no way Glock would ever risk it’s reputation.

Wilson – who’s known to polish any rough spots off parts that tend to drag :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got this from the Glock board -  

The person claimed that federal regulations made it impossible for Glock to import the 380 ACP -  
They need 75 points - to be imported - as you can see a pistol less than 6 inches gets ZERO - plus they get 1 point per ounce - The  G25 & G28 don't even qualify - it would be harder (maybe not possible) to hit 75 points with a small light pistol.

If this is correct then KT is getting protected from Glock by the government.

Import Points:
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1 point. G28 = 1 point G25 = 3
Weight 1 point per ounce with mag G28 = 20 points G25 = 22
.380 auto 3 Points
Loaded Chamber Indicator 5 points
Firing Pin Block 10 points
Double Action 10 points
Target Sights 10 points
Target Grip 5 points
Target Trigger 2 points

S&W or Kahr (or any US company) could give it a shot - I sort of wish someone else would - competition is a GOOD thing - but until then the KT is the only game in town.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I think you are correct about the import points.

Back when the smaller Glocks first came out, they had a smooth grip, and came with a cheesy plastic adjustable "Target" sight to get enough points.

They all fell apart after one box of ammo, and had to be replaced with a new non-adjustable, or steel adjustable sight.

Later, the finger groove & thumb-rest dimple "Target" grip came along, and the throw-away target sight went away.

Regardless, if Glock did make a .380, it would be shaped like a brick, and twice as heavy as a KT.

PS: The .380 Glock 25 lost another 5 import points because it is a blow-back action instead of a locked-breach like all the others.

rcmodel

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
JDL said:
 I have Glock models 26 and 30 and have put over 2700 rounds total through them in the past 5 months without even one problem.
That's nice. Try buying one for $225 and dropping it in your shirt pocket. Let us know how that works out. Can we say... apples and oranges. :-/

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Just my .02
You will recive best help on this board just ask and many will be very willing to help. Come in bashing and compairing to a gun 2-3 x the price and most will pass you by. We like our little inexpensive guns. There not perfect but I'v seen 1000.00 guns fail or come from factory with worse problems.
Try searching this board for previous post of similer problems(the search works pretty good most times).
Kel tec comes with a lifetime service thats backed by one of the best service departments I'v seen.
If you can't fix the problem send it back.
Good luck.
And if you hate that little POS and cmbkmb don't give you 100.00 I'll be glad to be in line for 95.00 ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again,
If you will notice, I did NOT bash the Kel Tec. I only posted their customer service response. I was surprised that a manufacturer would recommend using a rubber mallet or piece of wood to dislodge a slide on a relatively new gun. That's all. The rest was just response to some SOFT-SKINNNED individuals. I did check out other postings and they did help and I appreciate that. I got the slide off BEFORE I got Kel Tec's response because of a previous posting. I just hope the problem does not continue.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
JDL said:
Hi again,
If you will notice, I did NOT bash the Kel Tec.  I only posted their customer service response.  I was surprised that a manufacturer would recommend using a rubber mallet or piece of wood to dislodge a slide on a relatively new gun.  That's all.  
Not surprising. I bought a brand new Harley in 1976. The rear brake caliper started dragging. Under warranty, mind you, the recomended fix was to smack the krap out of it with a rubber hammer. That's why it had a target embossed on the side.

Don't you just love American Machinery. If it jams force it. If that don't work get a bigger hammer.

Seriously, if it doesn't clear up after you have made sure there are no burrs or such holding the slide up, sent it home to momma. If you feel that this is too much trouble for a new gun....$90.

Jim, who kinda likes messing with problem machinery. ;D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wilson said:
Is there some law that prevents them from pulling a Toyota?

Wilson – who’s not opposed to a US made Glock :)
Good point - Honda and Toyota started producing in the USA - Glock could too - but with the dems in control of congress now - and new anti-gun legislation just getting started (HR 1022 is just step #1) I doubt many companies will be building a gun factory - or even expanding one - in the USA.

Imagine doing a power point presentation to the board of directors - lets build a factory in the US that produces small - light - cheap - guns - and we better hurry because its not a question of if - but when - congress will pass a law that outlaws SATURDAY night specials (small cheap guns).

I have purchased vehicles from Toyota, Honda and Nissan - all built in the US - or at least assembled here - it somehow makes me feel a little better about the purchase - you know US jobs and all. But face it - GM & Ford & Dodge all screwed up in a major way - from about 1970 until 2000 quality was in the dump - Not even congress could protect the US auto makers FROM THEMSELVES.

I am off to do some research on my next purchase - can't decide between an AR-15 or AK-47. Leaning toward the AK because I like the 7.62x39 round better than the 5.56x45 - I should just get both - who knows what will happen in November of 2008.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JDL,

After you have more experience with different weapons you will find that there are many "heavy handed" methods for clearing jams, fixing take down issues, etc..  If you think the rubber mallet isn't a good response - then you wouldn't like the recommended solution for a double fed M16/AR15 bolt carrier jam.

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
wyo-man said:
I think Kentucky is a pro gun state -

I would guess moving a gun business from one state to another has more to do with trying to reduce cost that expanding - I think hunting rifles (bolt action) will be one of the last firearms to become banned.

Order in which guns will become banned under the new DGB (Democrat Gun Ban)

50 caliber & Assault Rifles will be first - then
All other "military" TYPE rifles
All semi auto rifles except 22LR (or less) caliber
Pistols with high capacity mags (10 rounds)
Semi auto shotguns
Semi auto pistols (all)
Large caliber hand guns - anything bigger than 9MM
All hand guns of any type that can be concealed
All handguns
All large caliber rifles (anything over a 22 LR)
All shotguns greater than a 410
All rifles
All shotguns

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.