Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I loaded 7 different rounds in a P-32 magazine and fired them: Corbon 60 gr, Gold Dot 60 gr, old style Winchester Silvertip 60 gr, Hornady 60 gr, Hydra-Shok 65 grain, Winchester Q4255 71 gr FMJ, and Geco 73 gr FMJ. All rounds fired without trouble.

A second full magazine of Geco 73 gr FMJ would not function. The cases would not eject. Two magazines of Winchester Silvertips ran without problems. The results surprise me. :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you worried about rim lock with those JHP rounds? The OAL of most of those you mentioned allow them to function in a Seecamp, which means you're going to have a lot of wiggle room in the P32 magazine.

Or am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you worried about rim lock with those JHP rounds? The OAL of most of those you mentioned allow them to function in a Seecamp, which means you're going to have a lot of wiggle room in the P32 magazine.

Or am I just being paranoid?
Not paranoid and you can have a rim lock with fmj too. I did with Fiocchi 73g and likely didn't have all the cartridges seated against the back wall of the mag.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both my P-32s function well with long FMJ and short 60gr HP. I was having trouble with one gun and FTE. When I switched barrels in the guns I got no FTE with either gun using Geco. I did not check them with a range of ammo. I am carrying a Corbon 60 gr JHP in the chamber and Geco 73gr FMJ in the magazine.

On a related note, I have 2 Seecamps with the stronger steel SN36XXX range. I took the spacer out of one magazine and ran longer FMJ ammo without a problem. I'm going to use old style Winchester Silver Tips & Gold Dots in the Seecamp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Both my P-32s function well with long FMJ and short 60gr HP. I was having trouble with one gun and FTE. When I switched barrels in the guns I got no FTE with either gun using Geco. I did not check them with a range of ammo. I am carrying a Corbon 60 gr JHP in the chamber and Geco 73gr FMJ in the magazine.

On a related note, I have 2 Seecamps with the stronger steel SN36XXX range. I took the spacer out of one magazine and ran longer FMJ ammo without a problem. I'm going to use old style Winchester Silver Tips & Gold Dots in the Seecamp.
I hadn't thought about adapting the Seecamp to use FMJ. I am struggling to find an acceptable self-defense round for the Seecamp...the best I can come up with is the Corbon Pow'Rball. But, even with that--if Corbons gel test fairly consistently--the best I can expect is decent expansion and mediocre penetration.

With such a marginal self-defense round, I'm leaning more toward FMJ. Or the Fiocchi Extrema, which is too long for a Seecamp but shows decent expansion and just under 12" of penetration out of the P32.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I read on another Kel-tec message board where someone called Kel-tec and asked for HP recommendations. I believe the Hornady Custom XTPs and Magtech were two of the three HP brands recommended by Kel-tec.

My wife's first range visit with her new P32 today saw the gun eat both Aguila and Magtech 71gr FMJs without a hiccup. She's a pretty happy camper tonight. She even had success shooting my Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 9mm with 147gr ammo. A few rounds she limpwristed and missed the big target paper at 21 feet. But overall - for the very first time she's ever fired a gun..... not bad at all.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I think I read on another Kel-tec message board where someone called Kel-tec and asked for HP recommendations. I believe the Hornady Custom XTPs and Magtech were two of the three HP brands recommended by Kel-tec.

My wife's first range visit with her new P32 today saw the gun eat both Aguila and Magtech 71gr FMJs without a hiccup. She's a pretty happy camper tonight. She even had success shooting my Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 9mm with 147gr ammo. A few rounds she limpwristed and missed the big target paper at 21 feet. But overall - for the very first time she's ever fired a gun..... not bad at all.
THX for the heads up on the Hornady and Magtech

Also, glad to hear about a successful range trip with your wife. I like that my wife enjoys shooting with me and isn't too shabby a shot. Some days better than me, yikes

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Kel-Tec response to ammo query

Just for the heck of it, I emailed Kel-Tec yesterday and asked about JHP ammo and this was the reply with a mix of JHP and FMJ listed:

"There isn't a specific ammo for this. Here's some that we've used here though".
P32 - .32ACP
-Fiocchi Shooting Dyanmics (73Grain)
-Gold Dot Speer Gold Dot (60Grain)
-Hornady XTP HP (60Grain)
-MagTech Guardian Gold (65Grain)
-PMC BRONZE FMJ (71Grain)
-PMC BRONZE JHP(60Grain)
-Remington UMC (71Grain)
-Sellier & Bellot FMJ (73Grain)
-Winchester White Box FMJ (71Grain)
-Winchester Super X Silver Tip (60Grain)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.