Interesting encounter with LEO

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Colossal_Uprising, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Colossal_Uprising

Colossal_Uprising New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Get a call from a LEO out of the blue. He says, "Don't freak out on me, I have to ask you this question. You recently purchased a Kel-tec new in box, is that correct?"

Yes

We have had a Kel-tec new in box that was stolen this week and we need to verify the serial number.

read off the serial number...

Ok, that is not the serial number of the one that is missing, but I need to see it in person to verify.

Long story short, he came by and looked at it and I was off the hook.

But it really made me think about any non-dealer face to face deals I make and what the potential repercussions are. I trusted the guy I bought from - I knew his mom many years ago, but it still gives you pause.

2. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    How did LEO know you bought this?

3. painkillerAZ

painkillerAZ Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Arizona
    They checked the form 4473 for all the same firearms purchased most likely...and than called the first guy and so on.
    Seems like a lot of work though/.

4. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    What state are you from? I'm kinda curious where requires forms be turned in for used gun sales that can be tracked that way.

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    One can assume if you bought the gun NIB in a FTF transaction, the only way the cops could have tracked you down is to track down the guy who bought it first from a dealer, who then sold it NIB to you FTF.

Who then gave the cops your name.

rc

6. one_gun

one_gun Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I think giving someone information IE: Serial Number over the phone is asking for trouble. How did you know he was really a cop? I would have asked a lot questions about where it was stolen from and was it from the same person I bought it from and if so where was his copy of the sales rec. or didn't you or he have one. Again bad idea. This would be done on a face to face with proper ID from the cop. Did he have your address or did you give it to him?

7. Colossal_Uprising

Colossal_Uprising New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    He found out because I bought the gun through a guy who placed an ad through the local newspaper. They got the ad and called the guy who told them who bought it to cover his rear - he no longer had the gun anymore and may or may not have had the bill of sale.

So, they called me. I knew it was a police officer because I know all of the officers here very well. I sing the national anthem at every event they have.

8. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 Guest

Sep 19, 2006
    :eek:

I would have told him to show me a warrant, and I'd be happy to give him the info he wanted....

:-X

9. I thinks this makes 734 times I have posted this link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/ame]

10. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

I thinks this makes 734 times I have posted this link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/ame] [/quote]

I did not look at your youtube post, but I'm guessing it is the "don't say nuthing to cops" one.
    I'm with lurker on this one. ;)

11. one_gun

one_gun Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Where I live I also know all the cops. I shoot with some of them. But I still wouldn't give them any info at least not over the phone. The other thing still is Get a Bill Of Sale. Check his address off his Drivers License. What if it was stolen. The cops take it you could be in trouble and out the money you paid. Bottom line still is CYA. :eek: