Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But how can I be certain I am getting the most current version? I understand the original offering used a colored frame that did not hold up too well. Then they went to ceracoting the frames. This worked for a while but there were peallng issues. Then they finally got the ceracote to stick to the frame. Is that rendition correct? One more thing, any discussion about night sights or are least fiber optics coming out. My 50 year old eyes need help!

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
But how can I be certain I am getting the most current version? I understand the original offering used a colored frame that did not hold up too well. Then they went to ceracoting the frames. This worked for a while but there were peallng issues. Then they finally got the ceracote to stick to the frame. Is that rendition correct?
Nope, never heard any of that. Sounds like gun shop BS to me. :confused:

·
Registered
718 Posts
The green grey and black grips are solid color all the way through. I heard the flat dark earth cerakote guns were cerakote and the first editions had problems with color sticking. I suspect keltec used the air dry version of the product and it won't be near as durable. Type H heat cure will not come off the grips period.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the coyote tan in the PF9 and the P3at. The PF9 is new, but the P3at I carry often. The finish is holding up great so far.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
But how can I be certain I am getting the most current version? I understand the original offering used a colored frame that did not hold up too well. Then they went to ceracoting the frames. This worked for a while but there were peallng issues. Then they finally got the ceracote to stick to the frame. Is that rendition correct?
I haven't heard that one. The first colored frames were, ims, molded from different colored resin. No way on Gods' Green Earth that those colors would chip, flake, peel, etc. and they aren't likely to fade or be chemically discolored either.

Of course, any sort of spray-on coating system will eventually wear, even if it's just that it rubs off on high friction contact areas.

One more thing, any discussion about night sights or are least fiber optics coming out. My 50 year old eyes need help!
There are, currently, no factory made replacement sights for the PF9 (or the P11) except those made by Kel Tec which come stock on your firearm.

This is a long standing "issue" and, if you search, you'll find any number of home-rolled solutions by KT users. The most common of them are:
  • Paint the sights with a high-visibility color, often model paint, nail polish, or (sometimes) after market gun sight touchup/recolor products
  • Use a high-tec "glow in the dark" product such as NiteSiters or SiteGlo (ims) paint.
  • Hand make fiber optic sights by modding stock sights with fiber
  • Buy (if you can) tritium vials and hand make night sights from stock sights

For what it's worth, I've experimented with the NiteSiters with decent results, as well as with various model paints, also with decent results. I have recently ordered some spare sights from KT and some fiber optic light pipes and will be making up a few sets in the near future for my own experimentation.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
My coyote tan ceracoted PF9 has a black frame, if that helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts