Inside my barrel?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jiffyloose, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jiffyloose

jiffyloose New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    My barrel doesn't look smooth at all inside. Is this normal? My p3at is parkerize and the barrel inside almost looks like it is too...my springfield xd9sc is very smooth and shiny on the inside. I am looking in the barrel from the front end...( unloaded ofcourse). Anyone?

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    well, it is normal with these small guns. heck, sometimes you can not even see any rifling.

does it shoot ok, if so, do not worry about it. the bad guy you use it against won't.

and it will probably hurt him just the same

3. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    By smooth and shiny, do you mean silver in color? They ARE smooth and shiny, just dark colored. Look at it with the barrel removed from the gun and light shining in from the other end, you will see what I mean.

I agree with RJ, shoot the dookie out of it. Looking down the barrel you just can't see squat.

4. jiffyloose

jiffyloose New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    dark in color....yes. I guess it is just different that the XD9 which is shiny in color.

5. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    My P-3AT is like yours. The Parkerized versions come with Parkerized barrels. The internal Parkerizing will wear off as you shoot it. It doesn't seem to adversely affect accuracy or function - at least it hasn't in my gun.

BTW, the Parkerizing on the exterior of the barrel where the slide rubs will also wear off over time.

Bobo

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Most re-finishers don't plate or Parkerize the inside of the barrel. Evidently, Kel-Tec's sub-contractor does. Maybe to save cost?

7. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Oh, it's parkerized. Missed that part ::) It will wear away quickly. Seems very strange that they do the inside of the barrel.

Have they always parked the barrel as well? The last parkerized KT I saw had a shiny barrel hood. Maybe it was polished by the owner, idk.