Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13941 - 13952 of 13952 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Odd, I've got wheel guns that just swap out the two cylinders. What happened to interchangeable parts? What is Eli's grandson been up to all these years?

Lop

·
Registered
239 Posts
Odd, I've got wheel guns that just swap out the two cylinders. What happened to interchangeable parts? What is Eli's grandson been up to all these years?

Lop
That was my thought , too. That's why I thought he should keep the other cylinder.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
No, no, no. I think y'all are misinterpreting what I'm getting at. I'm not getting rid of the .22 LR cylinder or anything. I'm trying to get a .22 WMR cylinder IN ADDITION to the .22 LR cylinder currently in the Hog Leg. They can be had either with the .22 LR cylinder ONLY, the .22 WMR cylinder ONLY ... OR they can be had with BOTH. They're all built on the same frame, which I'm assuming are all stamped ".22 Magnum" on the right side, so they're all .22 WMR capable, so you can buy them new with either cylinder or both as a combo and swap them out at will.

NAA apparently wants you to send in the gun so they can fit the conversion cylinder to that specific gun. Ruger does the same thing with their Single Sixes, as well as the Ruger Blackhawk and some Vaquero models (I think the .45 LC Vaquero can also have a .45 ACP conversion cylinder fitted for it, just like the Blackhawk). Far as I know, it's just a matter of filing the front-end of the cylinder so there's a proper amount of gap between the forcing cone and the opening of the cylinder chamber (not so close that it drags but not so far that it leaves a huge gap) and maybe a bit of filing on the back end and/or the lockup notches to make sure the cylinder is timed correctly to line up with the bore so you don't shave bullets and such. Each individual gun has a bit of tolerance from one to the next in production, hence the need for fitting the cylinder to that specific gun. A gunsmith can do it, but if I have to get the cylinder from NAA directly, it's easier just to have them do it right there in the first place.

Once the cylinder's fitted to my gun, I can swap back n' forth between .22 LR and .22 WMR at will, which is nice. I didn't really care to have the .22 LR option since I already have my old H&R 622 revolver for cheap plinkin'. Shooting .22 WMR was my main want with the Hog Leg ... hence, why I has teh sad. No loud bang-bang fun from the little pew-pew for a few weeks. :(

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Sent in the Hog Leg yesterday through the LGS. Apparently, sending it through an FFL makes it a cheaper deal: $40 for the cylinder (instead of $50) and something like $13 for return shipping instead of $40 or so I would've paid EACH WAY. Had to pay the FFL fee ($20) because they have to put it on the books to/from the FFL and pay shipping to there ($21), but their FedEx shipping rate's cheaper than what I was able to find on my own (like $40+). Sooooo ... total cost is going to be around $110-ish for a cylinder. Seems steep, but considering I got the Hog Leg for $329 and they sell new (with both .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders) for darn near $600 ... s'okay.

Aaaaaaaand it's gonna take 4 to 6 weeks to get it back because of holidays and such. Ugh. No chance to play with it for the rest of the year. :(

Oh well. Still haven't messed with the Franken-AR I pieced together last month, or the M&P15-22, so getting those function-tested and sighted in might take a range session or two in the meantime, anyway. And anyhow, holidays are gonna eat up all my ammo and range time money for a minute, too, soooooo... :p

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope all is going well, or well as defined in 2020.
My oven decided to die today, so that's fun. Baking pie without knowing the temp if exciting. I've got it cranked to 500' by the gauge, but it might be at 350 or so, I can't really tell.

Foist whirled problems. 2 grand daughters have Covid and I forget what my Dad looks like.

It is a glorious day in north Georgia. Sunny after lots of rain last night. Low 70's and just beaming. I've an itch to go riding and see how much gravel got washed out into the roads.

Well, again, Happy to all,
Lop & Lopwife

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope all is going well, or well as defined in 2020.
My oven decided to die today, so that's fun. Baking pie without knowing the temp if exciting. I've got it cranked to 500' by the gauge, but it might be at 350 or so, I can't really tell.

Foist whirled problems. 2 grand daughters have Covid and I forget what my Dad looks like.

It is a glorious day in north Georgia. Sunny after lots of rain last night. Low 70's and just beaming. I've an itch to go riding and see how much gravel got washed out into the roads.

Well, again, Happy to all,
Lop & Lopwife
This is the one I use on the electric griddle that has no connection between the numbers & the temp. I also use it for my lead pot & other casting uses.

Made fried rice this morning & a cinnamon roll cake yesterday. Not traditionalists around our house. Doing well here. Not going out. You take care on that gravel inspection tour.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Super slow day at work today for Thanksgiving. Super slow days are good - VERY good. And folks brought in lots of yummy food before our shift, although I only got to nibble a little plate before we had to scoot out and grab some calls holding. All in all, even though we were working a holiday, it didn't suck. It was almost weirdly peaceful in town. Almost like everyone's so drained by all of the crap that's happened this year, as a whole, that they just don't have enough energy to be all rowdy and whatnot on a holiday. So, there's that.

Sad aside, right before shift yesterday, got word that my great aunt had a massive stroke and is on life support. She's 87, doesn't have a living will, and her son doesn't know what to do as far as whether or not to, y'know ... let her go. I do not envy his circumstance. I hope I never have to make that own decision with my own mum. At the very least, I don't intend to ever leave anyone else with that kind of a crappy decision on my own behalf, hence the reason I got a living will years ago. If I'm kaput beyond a reasonable doubt ... unplug me, because I'm already gone. And donate whatever spare parts I've got left, because obviously I've got no further use for 'em. (Oh yeah, and don't burn me. I don't care if someone digs a hole in the desert and dumps me in there naked, just don't burn me. For some reason, that whole cremation thing never sat right with me...)

Lotta Thanksgiving lessons in all that for my brain to soak in over the weekend. In the meantime, I'm-a let this post-work, start-of-weekend/holiday beer soak into my belly first... :p

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So finally after working in person this whole time... got the phone call yesterday. I've been directly exposed (again, third one now...) do not come to work, 14 day quarantine. Whole family is going this morning for testing with our local health department, drive thru don't get out of the car-swab our noses and then wait. We have no symptoms, but I've had an scratchy throat thing going on for a week. Already have had two negative covid tests from the first two direct exposures; so I guess the throat thing is some seasonal allergy bs.... So, forced hard stop...love the idea of 14 days off but now having had 24 hrs to process it, kinda pisses me off. I don't have any materials on hand to do any of my home improvement projects I've put off for too long. I guess I will continue the pine tree removal project, and finally get around to bedding the stock on my russin sks rehab. For now, today we all appear to be healthy, and despite being irritated by the quaratine order, I'm thankful my job has a system and we've insurance so I need to stop whining and just enjoy the family time and make lemonade I guess.... stay safe ktog.
D

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I've found on-line ordering & curbside pick-up work quite well at my local Lowes. Heck a lot of things they deliver free.

Found out my local auto parts store (Advance Auto) will deliver to my home. That was nice when I had t replace the alternator on my Element.

13941 - 13952 of 13952 Posts