Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13901 - 13916 of 13916 Posts

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
Could have been NBA fans... S.A. Spurs!
We got a lot of those fans around here but I have never seen that sticker, although I bet I could sell some.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
'k guys,
a quick one for the ktbt. I've been working on my trucks fer years now. Mostly simple stuff. I don't mind paying a mechanic when I can't or don't want to do sompfin.
But a simple tire rotation is not going to get money out of my wallet.
But I ran into a puzzler. Since it is the third half of the show, I'll ask you's guys. The wife has a '11 Kia sportage. Nice little vehicle. No frame. It has the notches to put the factory jack to lift any one corner, but how do I jack the whole thing up to rotate tires without caving in the wrong part of the unibody. There is a nice big piece of steel behind the engine that the steering is tied to. That looks strong enough to lift the whole front end and I can then put jack stands at the two lift points. I made little wooden blocks with slots cut so I don't bend the thin steel. I'm guessing a wooden chunk on the floor jack would also disperse the pressure across the steel strut. But might I damage that steel? She has a birthday coming up. I really don't want to get her a piece of steel for her car for her birthday, if you know what I mean.

I'm off to do the oil change/rotation on my TRUCK with a steel FRAME under it. I'll check back in a few.
Thanks guys,
Lop

unrelated pic, cuz we love pitchers.

jkjh.png

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

I took a 2x4 about 4 foot long. Clamped it, popped a line down the middle, set depth on the skil-saw. cut groove for pinch weld. Now cut 4 blocks into 1 foot lengths. depending on weight a shorter length block will split. A full size spare tire placed flat on its side under frame while jacking can prevent castrophe. Good luck go slow,

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Hey Danny, I sent you a p.m. Check it out. Thanks for the info above. That is what I was doing, I was just wondering if there was a better way. I'll watch the rest of your vid later.
Abrams, Sherman, Bradly,
Lop

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
For what it's worth, to do tire rotation, don't you only need one side up at a time?

Reactions: guru2sum

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I use a pair of Harbor Freight aluminum floor jacks. I got tired of jacking up the front, put in the stand. Jack up the rear, put in the stand (or just leave it on the jack) then repeat for the other side if I was lifting all 4.

With 2 jacks I just leave it up & stay out from underneath.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
FWIW, on the cars I've worked on that don't have an easy-to-find frame rail point, I'll usually lift 'em by positioning the jack underneath a control arm's coil spring perch or, on a rear wheel drive, lifting it by the rear differential. Generally safe, as long as you know where to position the jack so it doesn't bend or kink anything. Safety stands then get positioned somewhere underneath another solid point like an engine crossmember or control arm connection point, where practical. I generally try to lower the weight of the car off the hydraulic jack before working and onto the safety stand(s), but in some cases it isn't quite do-able so the safety stand is just there in position and ready in case of an "oh crap" moment of hydraulic jack failure. About the only time I don't use a safety stand is if I'm changing a tire on the side of a road in an emergency. Otherwise, even if I'm not going underneath the car, there will ALWAYS be a safety stand (or two) underneath, in addition to wheel chocks.

With the Gokart (Miata), I have to use two different jacks just to lift the thing: a wimpy little one that's low-profile enough to get underneath the little booger and lift it a couple inches (I think it's the factory roadside jack I kept from a car forever ago) so that I can use the OTHER jack to actually lift it up high enough to put a safety stand or two under it to work on the thing. Even with factory springs, wheels, and tires, that thing sits so low that I can't roll my so-called "low profile" hydraulic jack under there.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
As an aside, you could also get some of these thingies that sorta spread the load out a bit on the jacking point so you can use a regular hydraulic floor jack:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
... About the only time I don't use a safety stand is if I'm changing a tire on the side of a road in an emergency. Otherwise, even if I'm not going underneath the car, there will ALWAYS be a safety stand (or two) underneath, in addition to wheel chocks....
Of course you are correct. In my defense I was Safety Dude at the electric motor plant for 10 years. So of course I'm horrible about following procedures at home.

I think it's required. ;):p:D

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Ugh. Website changes. Me no likely changes. Variety, yes, but changes, no. Wasn't broke. Didn't need fixin'. Now we have ... different looks. Meh.

(Don't mind me. I'm just "off" today because I'm running on half a night's sleep, zero solid food, and the aftereffects of getting 3 front upper teeth yanked out today. Thinking I should go as a hockey player for Halloween now... :p )

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Ugh. Website changes. Me no likely changes. Variety, yes, but changes, no. Wasn't broke. Didn't need fixin'. Now we have ... different looks. Meh.

(Don't mind me. I'm just "off" today because I'm running on half a night's sleep, zero solid food, and the aftereffects of getting 3 front upper teeth yanked out today. Thinking I should go as a hockey player for Halloween now... :p )
and spam in the alerts. good costume choice DW

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I am tormented by the crushing burden of adult responsibility in the face of soooooo much temptation. Went to my favorite LGS yesterday. Soooooo many things in stock now, which is surprising with the election being in the not-so-far-away future. Ammo selection was fairly sparse, though. No 9mm, .22 LR, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP, but they at least had 10mm and 32 ACP and 12 gauge, and a whoooooole lotta .38 Special. Anyway. Things I saw and I really, really wanted for absolutely no real legitimate reasons:

• NAA Ranger II (2.5" model ... I want the 4", but the 2.5" would still be fun)
  • Ruger LCRX .22 WMR
  • Mossberg MVP 5.56 with bipod
  • Ruger American Ranch Rifle 5.56
  • All the parts necessary to slap together a basic 20" AR ... for only like $500 (meanwhile, everything fully assembled is like $300 more :confused: )
  • 18.5" Mossberg 500 (given, I have my beloved 590 Mariner, but still ... I likes teh Mossy burgers)
  • 20" Mossberg 500 (did I mention I likeses them?)
  • Glock 48 (thinking of getting one to replace my G19 for carry and then assigning my current G19 with the Roni MCK to full-time house duty)
  • Ruger Single Six Buntline 9.5" (with both .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders - Pops had that exact model, first revolver I ever shot as a kid, I gave it to my cousin after I inherited since it was originally his dad's)
Aaaaaaaand all I left with was a box of S&B .32 ACP FMJ and a couple sodas. Because I am an adult. And I have to do adulting. And that is why I am sad. Sooooo many wants. Not enough play money to spare. Having to be responsible and save money for other stuff is, like, sooooo not fun. :(

13901 - 13916 of 13916 Posts