Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13881 - 13900 of 13916 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Got the Tahoe back from the shop - $2,500 total. Ugh. The driveshaft had to be rebuilt from end-to-end because the yokes were jacked up and the U-joints were worn out (something I noticed anyway prior to the trans rebuild), so that added almost $500 to the original estimate. But anyway, it shifts all nice n' happy now, so about the only two things left to ever possibly fail on this truck are the fuel pump or the engine itself. Fuel pumps aren't difficult or expensive to do on these, and the motor doesn't even hardly use oil at all, so I SHOULD be good for at least another 100k. Or until some stupid ol' snowbird plows into it and destroys it... :(

Also got my factory rims for the Gokart. Got 'em cheap because some dingleberry let them get all corroded from whatever and then hosed them with that Plasti-Dip junk that was halfway gone. Took like 3 hours to scrub all that junk off. Just waiting on the tire shop to get the 4th tire in from another location so I can get some rubber mounted on 'em and then the Gokart will be roadworthy enough again for me to drive to work. Soooo, now I'll finally have both cars good to go and I can stop borrowing the wifey's gas-hog Expedition with no A/C. :)

Now to spend the next 6 months putting money back into savings to make up for all this expensive crap...

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Things I've learned after one month on patrol:

1. There are FAR more people of the general public that are supportive of law enforcement than those against (the negative folks are VASTLY over-represented ... at least where I'm working, anyway);
2. Multitasking? No. Epic mental juggling circus act? Oh yeah. Driving + running plates + listening to the radio + having someone in the passenger seat talking to me = UGH;
3. I can remember song lyrics from obscure 80's songs and movie quotes, but I can't remember what time it was on my watch a second ago or someone's name that I just wrote down;
4. You'll almost never see someone commit super-dumb traffic violations (like crossing 4 lanes of traffic to turn right from the far-left lane) UNLESS you're already on the way to a hot call and don't have the opportunity to stop them;
5. That temperature the thermometer reads for outside? Yeah, add about 20 more degrees when you're wearing like 15 pounds of Kevlar, polyester, boots, and Bat-belt gear. Again ... UGH;
6. The whole "1% of the population commits 95% of the crime" idea definitely rings true, and it has nothing to do with race or anything else. In just a couple of weeks, it's obvious how most of the calls (and usually of the same nature) originate from the same addresses and individuals over and over and over again. It's usually drug- or alcohol-related, but there's also a LOT of folks with serious mental issues roaming about (often made worse with drugs and/or alcohol) that seriously need to be in some kind of institution instead of roaming free and doing all kinds of wacky things to themselves/others;
7. I definitely like older vehicles. These fancy-pants 2018 to 2020 Tahoes are wayyyyy too fancy with all of their electronic whatnots and touch screens and doohickies. Plus, you can't hardly see out of the tiny little back windows AT ALL when reversing, and that goofy fish-eye lens camera is worthless for anything but going straight back;
8. Squabbles between rich people are just as annoying as (or sometimes more so than) those of average or poorer folks because they're just so darned petty. Trivial stuff (usually involving property) that normal people don't have the time or effort to worry about are like, OMG, end-of-the-world type drama things to those above a certain income level;
9. All of that "Code 3" driving with lights and sirens screaming is NOT as frequent as TV and such would have one believe. Honestly, even after a month, I've only had to hit the siren ONCE when driving, and for all of like 5 seconds (before the dude on foot hopped a wall and we had to get out). Usually, it's just a lot of driving the speed limit quietly from one address to another ... kinda like a pizza delivery driver, really;
10. When you're busy running calls or pounding out reports, 14 hours sure flies by. But when the radio's silent, 30 minutes seems to last FOREVER because the suspense of "when's that hot call tone gonna pop up" keeps you from wanting to commit to anything time-consuming ... like eating.

Anyway. There's good and bad, but overall, it beats the hell out of slaving away behind a retail counter, sitting behind a desk in a hospital lab, or babysitting crooks inside of a jail, that's for sure. :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
A job you enjoy. Means a lot in self worth. Do a good job of taking care of the 1% and keeping the rest of us safe. Thanks for doing what others won't do.

·
Grand Poobah
2,249 Posts
My Dad was a Police officer for ten years, then went to Firefighting.
He still listens to the scanner for fire or Police calls...

Reactions: darkwriter77

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Hi Guys,
A quick question. Wife has a 2011 Kia Sportage with 64k miles. Book/dealer says it should have a trans fluid flush and a radiator flush.
What says you? Dose a modern vehicle need this so (seems to me...) soon? btw, vehicle has a pretty easy life. No stop 'n go, drives are usually 10+ miles each, no towing or heavy hauling.

Lemmeno...

Lop
godot.png

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Since I started driving these modern Hondas. 03 & 07 I'm changing engine oil at 3K, trans & rear end (AWD) at 20K. Now this is easy on the Hondas, all drain & fill just like the engine & only the engine has a filter. I do the radiator yearly.

My local Honda mechanic, retired & self employed, told me that if I did this they would continue to run essentially forever. The only problems he ever saw were due to skimping on the maintenance.

I got mine at 120K & 164K, did the full 100K service & changed all fluids.

The 85 & 87 Jap trucks? Oil 3k, coolant when it looks off color, trans, when it gets low..

BTW on Hondas use only Honda fluids except for engine oil. It does make a difference. Fortunately these things are easy to work on & stuff is accessible.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hi Guys,
A quick question. Wife has a 2011 Kia Sportage with 64k miles. Book/dealer says it should have a trans fluid flush and a radiator flush.
What says you? Dose a modern vehicle need this so (seems to me...) soon?

Lemmeno...

Lop
Anytime you see the word "flush" the intention is to flush money out of your wallet. The word is undefined in the mechanical world like 'assault weapon'.
Transmission fluid and filter change? Real.
Clean cooling system and replace coolant? Real.
"Flush" usually means drain some out, fill it back up and charge them $99.99 .
Many videos are online of them actually doing nothing and charging the customer too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Anytime you see the word "flush" the intention is to flush money out of your wallet. The word is undefined in the mechanical world like 'assault weapon'.
Many videos are online of them actually doing nothing and charging the customer too.
Several years ago they, consumer reports I believe, did a test to see how common it was to cheat customers. They messed up the dwell on some points, that tells you how long ago it was, and had a woman take the car to the shops. I don’t remember the exact numbers but a minority of the shops adjusted the dwell and charged a reasonable price. Most cheated just a little but some were outrageous to the point of claiming the engine needed to be rebuilt. A competent and honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
That is incorrect. When you simply drain and refill the transmission, you leave a lot of dirty fluid in the torque converter and in the transmission lines that will contaminate the new fluid. "Flush" is the appropriate term describing a process wherein a machine is hooked up to the transmission that pushes new fluid into the system on one end and forces out ALL of the old fluid. It is run until they see new fluid coming out, thus all of the fluid is changed.

LOP, I would stick pretty close to the schedule. If you want to stretch it to the max next time, spring for $ynthetic fluid$ like Mobil1. They last much longer and do a better job of everything transmission fluid does.

I think you can flush the radiator yourself by loosening the draincock, sticking a running water hose in the filler and letting it idle a while. Just watch the heat temp gauge. Then drain and just add your own coolant and water mix.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
There IS an element of truth to what BlakeHanson's saying. When it comes to a transmission fluid "flush," a lot of shops will unhook the trans cooler lines from the radiator, hook up some doohickey to them, and push fluid through there. Problem is, they don't change the filter when they do it, so that could still be plugged up, and doesn't pull fluid through the whole transmission/pan, so there's still junk left hanging around in the bottom of the pan and some other places. That's sometimes, though, not always.

And at any rate, STOP going to the dealership. There's a reason they're known as "stealerships" on car forums.

Far as the "Should or should not" aspect of trans fluid changes, or how often, ol' Scotty Kilmer has a few pretty good videos on it. (Yes, he kinda yells when he talks, but he's a good source of car info.) In this, around the 6-minute mark, he specifically addresses trans fluid flushes:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
My son had a KIA that had an engine go bad. KIA would not honor the warranty because he had service done by a non KIA shop. He ended up paying for a new engine. Check the warranty before you make a decision to do or not to do, that is the question.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Read the maintenance schedule in the back of the owners manual. Most modern vehicles running Dexcool coolant don't have to have the coolant replaced before 100,000 or 150,000 miles.
The schedule will tell you when the transmission needs to be serviced and what needs to be done. Most of them are after 100,000 miles.
Edit: Per the manal:
"Automatic transaxle fluid
(if equipped)
Automatic transaxle fluid should not be
checked under normal usage conditions.
But in severe conditions, the fluid should
be changed at an authorized KIA dealer
in accordance to the scheduled mainte-
nance at the beginning of this section.

NOTICE
Automatic transaxle fluid color is basi-
cally red.
As the vehicle is driven, the automatic
transaxle fluid will begin to look darker.
It is normal condition and you should
not judge the need to replace the fluid
based upon the changed color."
The first part says it should only need to be changed under "Severe conditions".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since I started driving these modern Hondas. 03 & 07 I'm changing engine oil at 3K, trans & rear end (AWD) at 20K. Now this is easy on the Hondas, all drain & fill just like the engine & only the engine has a filter. I do the radiator yearly.

My local Honda mechanic, retired & self employed, told me that if I did this they would continue to run essentially forever. The only problems he ever saw were due to skimping on the maintenance.

I got mine at 120K & 164K, did the full 100K service & changed all fluids.

The 85 & 87 Jap trucks? Oil 3k, coolant when it looks off color, trans, when it gets low..

BTW on Hondas use only Honda fluids except for engine oil. It does make a difference. Fortunately these things are easy to work on & stuff is accessible.
Since 2002, I've never used any engine oil but full synthetic, seems to always be Mobil One. I change the oil in my 2007 Mercury Marinier and 2007 Toyota Camry at 4000ish miles ( for the one that gets driven almost totally in town ) to 6000ish ( for the one that gets driven almost totally on the interstate ). I always change the oil filters and air filters at that time.

The engines on both my vehicles run like new.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Lop,
It’s hot down there, radiators need love too. As do transmissions. I’ve done these things to vehicles and it never hurt them and these components never died either.

One ford exploder an ex wife had actually fixed itself after a transmission fluid and filter job on it.... quickly sold that POS soon there after too.

Neither job is “fun” and disposing properly of the fluids is an extra trip to parts store/shop. And the exact milage I feel like is a suggestion to get it on the calendar within 1-2k miles.

now, Were we talking a german car or that scooter of yours... Do it exactly as scheduled or experience the wrath of engineers w bad accents.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
Since 2002, I've never used any engine oil but full synthetic, seems to always be Mobil One. I change the oil in my 2007 Mercury Marinier and 2007 Toyota Camry at 4000ish miles ( for the one that gets driven almost totally in town ) to 6000ish ( for the one that gets driven almost totally on the interstate ). I always change the oil filters and air filters at that time.

The engines on both my vehicles run like new.
Mobil1 only in both vehicles too, not less than every 6 months. 99 Toyota Camry and 03 Dode Dakota, both with well over 200,000 miles and I'd jump in either one and drive it coast to coast without a 2nd thought as those engines both run like new. The rest of the vehicles, trans fluid, coolant, shocks, suspension, timing belt/chain, and various engine externals are kept up by the auto tech department at my high school.

·
Grand Poobah
2,249 Posts
I just checked the mileage on my 1997 Dodge Caravan, 207,678 miles WOW...I change oil once a year and just switched to Mobile One Synthetic...Same weight.

Reactions: Tex Ohfive

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

This is Dame Rigg's first and last bit on the Avengers as Emma Peel.

lop
Thanks for sharing. I didn't even notice the first one was black & white until the color one came on; the color one seemed unnatural.
Back in the day when a hot female star didn't need a large bust.

Reactions: HatRon56

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
After the first few, mostly good memories for those alive in the 50's and 60's:

https://safeshare.tv/x/FEDEwZHZXu

I replayed it at half speed to appreciate it more and try to remember all the names.

Reactions: VegasSub2K

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
So I drive for a living. I see a lot of bumper/window stickers. Some good, some odd, lots bad or boring.

I saw won today that I first thought was opposing the 'pro-life' stance, then I realized they were just horse lovers. There was no "N" in
"Spur Life".

lop

13881 - 13900 of 13916 Posts