Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13861 - 13880 of 13916 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Gotta figure in the cost of labor, too, 'cause I sure as heck ain't lifting that monster out and back up into it, myself. :p Shopped around, the average price seems to be right at or just under $2,000 for mine because it's a 2WD model, which makes it simpler and easier to remove and rebuild. I mean, heck, they work on a bajillion of 'em as fleet vehicles for police departments and other gov't agencies all around the state, soooo ... common parts and all that, too. Tahoes are kinda like the new Crown Vic. Given, I didn't buy mine for that reason, but seeing how they stand up to a TON of abuse (I'm still floored by how hard the ones at the driving track get beat on without overheating or anything) and they still manage to last a really long time kinda sold me on 'em. I'm not rough on my cars, but I also don't buy new and almost every car I've ever owned has well over 125k miles on it when I get my hands on it, so it NEEDS to have a long lifespan if it's gonna be of any use to me and the family.

Well, that and it has a lotta room to hold long guns and such for range days... :D

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Can you buy as good a vehicle for 2K? If not, fix it. It sounds like a good machine, and at 200k, it is maintenance.

They can't do the lights this week, so I don't have that temptation. The cost is less than I foist thought, about 5 for the lights, 3.5 hrs at 121 per install. I'm in the wrong bizzness.

I decided to do it myself, and eat humble pie if I need to later. At that price point, lights mountings, and wire harnesses are model specific or close to it.

The shop I'm working with:
https://www.woolyscycles.com/
would have a bad day if Dobbins AFB has one over shoot the runway. The guy who works service (old guy, rides bmw's and a vintage Ducati) swore by this light:
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/darla-ducati-monster

my noodling 'round found this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081S94WJZ?tag=duckduckgo-ffhp-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

They have bigger and brighter ones, but I'm neither the biggest nor brightest one out there, so this seems like a good fit. With them on the handlebars, and not the forks, I want them small. More to be seen that to see. Stuffs on the webs says they are pricey, but earn their keep. Wiring is a harness, not bare wires, and there are lots of videos out there.

Unless one of youens has a better idea, imma gonna go with this.

Thanks again for your input again.
Lop

Ok, old Dobbins AFB story. Back in the '90's (that's the 20th century, for you kids out there) I was shlocking steel at Boomershine GMC. Sell a vehicle to someone with full coverage on their current vehicle, and they were good to go. Covered if they smeared it on the way home. But our money people liked to make sure their money people knew where to send the money. So, sell a vehicle and see them off the lot, then call their insurance company and tell them that Vin #xyz had a loss payee of abc...

So I sold a vehicle. Yeah. I made the call and as I was talking to the lady on the fone I heard the jet fighters heading my way. I said 'hold on, I'm right under the Dobbins flight path...' and then speech was useless for 15 seconds. When I could hear again I said 'ok, ...' and she said, 'Hang on, I'm right down the road from you...' and the same rummbling came thru the fone.

Ok, not the best story, but I still chuckle about it.
L

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Yeah, it used to be about 10 years ago, I could score a decent running "beater" car for A-to-B transportation for about two grand. Nowadays, that will barely get you half a car. Heck, two grand barely even buys you a decent motorcycle. Ugh ... inflation.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
my last carbureted auto was a 1985 Mazda B2000 PU. I had it till 2003-ish?
It had sea foam ported into the carb I could control from a valve in the cab.

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
Maybe look into a used tranny for a vehicle that old.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Maybe look into a used tranny for a vehicle that old.
I was gonna suggest that because the success rate of rebuilds and repairs isn't very good , even if you have a good transmission man.
But then, depending on where you reside, the availability of used boxes, or selection, may not be very good.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Like Alice Cooper, he's still a funny dude and makes a good radio show host for the classics. But he's also the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear the words "used tranny." Well ... him, and this other guy ... er, lady ... or ... well, whatever they identify as...? :confused:

What really bites is this transmission rebuild cost comes at the same time I need to invest in a set of tires for the Gokart (Miata) AND I've got some costly dental work that needs to be done, too. Oh, AND apparently I need to buy a second phone to use for work, unless I wanna risk my one-and-only phone getting damaged/destroyed while on duty and/or potentially letting my personal phone number get out to the masses when I have to call victims or their families or whomever else. Stinks that I can't just keep using my current phone, which works fine, but the darned thing is filling up its own memory with updates over time without me ever having installed any extra apps or anything on it. And phones nowadays ain't cheap - like $250 just for one with a battery that'll last more than a day. Sheesh.

It's like that bit of wisdom my sister imparted upon me decades ago: the more money you make, the more money you'll spend. :(

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Hey Mountain Chef,
Did the ground rumble up your way? Are you and yours alright?
In general, how is 2020 going for ya?

Lop

·
Registered
87 Posts
View attachment 50776 Ok, I need some help for the KBT.

I want more light on my motorcycle. The stock bike had these 'A Bugs Life' mirrors that gave really good views of my elbows, and little of what was on the road behind me. One of the very few mods I've made was to put bar end mirrors on. They work and (to me) look great. They are to dang small to see if that car way back there is a cop, but they are rock solid with not a bit of vibration in the image and the optics are perfect. I'm happy with them.

Pulling the stock mirrors left two mounting sockets that just beg to be filled with two small lights. I found a nice looking light on line for $8.99, course I'd need two of them. I'm a firm believer in the rule 'there is such a thing as not paying enough'. I want good lights. Good lights mounted correctly and not messing with the clean look of the bike. I had to drop the bike off at the shop yesterday and asked about lights.

$1500 for a pair. The lights are 5, installation is complex, it is the bmw/ducati dealer, they don't run sales.

So, Keltec bikers, are good lights worth it? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Ok, some extra info:
I hate cheap tools.
The bike is a toy. A very pretty one.
I like safety and more light is more safe.
I can afford the $1500.
I want to keep the look of the bike very clean.
$1500 for two lights sounds stupid expensive.
My last wheel gun was $1300 used for a 5 shooter.

looking forward to your input, thanks guys,
Lop
Had a pair of the Denali D2's on my last bike & liked them a lot.
https://denalielectronics.com/collections/all-lighting/products/dnl-d2-10000

Others that have gotten good reviews from others
https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=CIL-OP110
https://www.rigidindustries.com/dually-spot-sm-grn-20125.html

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
LOP, now you can do as I do, wash your face and head with one swipe. LOL Makes you look younger.

Reactions: HatRon56

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking of the Mr. Clean approach myself - I wonder what interesting scars will show up. And what wonderful stories I'll invent to explain them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey Mountain Chef,
Did the ground rumble up your way? Are you and yours alright?
In general, how is 2020 going for ya?

Lop
We're all good.
We did feel that. I'm 45 miles from Sparta NC.
It was my first earth quake. We had one big jolt first, with me and the young'in going wtf? A second or two later we got another 3-4 seconds of shake the house - everything wobblin and moving. I was surprised by the noise and the reality that everything in front of me was shaking. Wife started yelling from the back of the house... Every dog for half a mile outside started barking. It was pretty crazy.

It's 2020; if we don't get aliens by thanksgiving I'm gonna be disappointed.

The in general question, is an interesting answer. Some how my benign college food service job has gotten pretty insane. We have about 12,000-14000 20 somethings about to show up for class in a week. We've seen the "build up" as the july 1st off campus leases arrived in town. 2nd years and up, lease and move into apartments july or august first. The highest our numbers have been, was after the 7/1 leases began. Athletes and student resident hall staff were the first 300-400 on campus. We have masks and gloves and screens and all these new procedures but these kids are more interested in all the stuff that's cool when you're 18; and Covid is like just one more "lame" thing their parents are "freakin" about. And when the Mom and Dad drive off.... guessing like 3 weeks from now.
straight up zombie apocalypse.

2 questions

Shot the eddystone any?

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A second or two later we got another 3-4 seconds of shake the house - everything wobblin and moving.
Holy cow...pretty exciting stuff. I've only felt one earthquake in my entire life, and that was only because I was sitting on the toilet and could feel it through the pipes. :oops:. Don't really like the idea of the earth shaking.

And what wonderful stories I'll invent to explain them.
Saved a bus load of children from a lion attack. Lead with that one.

Reactions: 850sub
13861 - 13880 of 13916 Posts