Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13841 - 13860 of 13916 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I heard an early long version of Tambourine Man sung by Bobby Zimmerman that included all the lyrics he wrote for that song and realized what it was about.
Swooning loyal voters and protesters following the intoxicating beat of a dancing idological idiot.
How appropriate.

·
755 Posts
I just read an article online that said realtors are now calling the master bedroom the owners suite, or the primary bedroom. Their reason is that the term Master Suite can imply that there is a master that oversees the household, typically a male, and from a historical perspective, as a master of slaves. This can potentially have gender and racial implications where there is perceived exclusion of females or minorities.
What will we call Master Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Mechanics, etc? Where will this end?
It's no longer a "slave" cylinder. It is now an "enslaved" cylinder. You can't call Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, and Mechanics, "Master" any more. They will be called "Chief." Oh, sh*t, that won't work...it'll upset the Native Americans. How about Super Bro's? Royal Blue Collars? First class? No, somebody will be upset.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Passed the field problems and decision making scenarios last night. Heckuva LONNNNNG day. Pretty much the most mentally taxing thing I've had to do in the whole academy. First few scenarios were a total adrenaline dump, but the more we did, the easier they got just through sheer repetition. Decision making was basically a series of shoot-or-no-shoot things with the simulator - aced 'em (and with good shot placement, to boot). :)

Soooo, all that's left is like a week of driving track, some odds n' ends classes, a couple piddly tests, a couple of exercise sessions, and finally the CFE (Comprehensive Final Exam), which I'm not stressing over much. Then, pretty much a week-long winding-down period leading up to graduation and then ... well, on the streets we go (a few months of FTO and then probation until the end of July 2021 - basically walking on eggshells for a year). Sooooo, there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Only downer is it's looking pretty strongly like they're just going to live-stream our graduation. Arizona's governor currently forbids gatherings of over 50 people, and there's at least 40 recruits plus our RTO's, our sarge, our LT, the commander, probably the chief and assistant chief, aaaaaaaand ... yeah. Ain't happening. The governor's order expires 3 days before graduation, but it seems pretty clear since the state's 'Rona numbers haven't peaked yet that he'll extend it. Soooo ... that sucks. :(

But y'know what DOESN'T suck? I found a two-tone "titanium" finish PMR-30 at one of the LGS's today for like $429. Hmmmm... *rubs hands together while slobbering* :D

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Another Frank Hammer, you are!
When do you get zapped and sprayed?
Hopefully not both on the same day.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Already got OC'ed about a month or so ago. It sucked, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated it to be. I was expecting to be coughing until I puked; instead, my eyes just refused to open (my eyes weren't actually burning, weird as it sounds, they just refused to open unless I really strained or manually pried them open) and my face felt like I had the worst sunburn ever. Apparently, I did pretty good, kept my bearings, didn't lose my mind or anything, and was laughing and joking about it while I hosed off; one or two folks barely held onto their wits, and a couple of the girls were sobbing, but everyone else made it through. Guess I'm not as sensitive to the "spicy air" as I thought. Good to know if I ever get accidentally sprayed by a coworker during a scuffle or something, it won't take me out of the fight. :)

Phoenix doesn't Taser their own folks anymore. They supposedly stopped doing that years ago - too many injuries and stuff, I guess. I think DPS still does it, though. Those highway guys have a WAY harder experience with academy than we do, between having to march everywhere and absurdly long runs and having to qualify on rifles and whatnot ... AND they get paid less than just about any other department in the state. Seems backwards to me, but oh well.

Finally ran through that tank of unknown gas in the Yamaha today. Darn near killed myself with the heat while I was at it, but the 40+ mile ride around town was still fun. Filled up with 91 octane and a bit of octane booster. Was hoping that the pinging/detonation I've been getting was due to the dealership filling it with 87 octane and the tuner being set up for 91. Nope. Still pings. Finally decided to download the Dynojet software to my laptop and plug the mini-USB connection to the tuner and the laptop to see how the previous owner had it set up. Good grief. I only have a mild understanding of how to set up tunes on the thing, but holy cow, the previous owner had this thing set up just plain WRONG. Instead of adding fuel to account for the high-flow intake and exhaust, they were PULLING fuel from the tables on the map with some Autotune map that looked like they'd set up completely backwards. I downloaded a few manufacturer "canned" maps from Dynojet and picked one that was a tune for almost my exact setup, and sent that to the tuner. Haven't had a chance to run it yet because ... welllllll, I'm having a couple of beers tonight to celebrate yesterday, and beer n' bikes don't mix too well. Sooooo, hopefully, I'll have a chance to try it out tomorrow morning before it gets too insanely hot - supposed to be 116! :eek:

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Ok... I won't post this here. A lot of it won't pass muster with the family friendly stance we have here.
A lot of this is dumb or old or so telegraphed it is useless.

But...
it is funny. Some of the fun comes from just how bad some of it is. Some is truly golden. Lots of it just needs some watching.

Go to Youtube.com. type in BBC and 'Old Jews Telling Jokes'.

Have a friend turn off your machine is an hour our two, it could be harmful after a bit.

Lop

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
OK, it's near bed time so I found & bookmarked. We will enjoy, stopped after 2 jokes, will power we have.

Thanks lop

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Bike runs more gooderer now. Amazing what happens when you make an engine not run insanely lean and actually give it fuel when it has a lot more air coming in. :) Still has a smidge of ping, but it was over 110 when I was riding it home yesterday, so that's kinda understandable. I might fiddle with it and pull some timing out of it and/or add some more fuel and then save the map as a "summer tune" for the really hot part of the season and then default to the current tune as a "the rest of the year" tune. Of course, the ideal solution would be to either send off the ECU to that Ivan guy who flashes the ECU with some custom tune specifically for my setup and then fine-tune it myself from there OR just take it to a local shop that can tune it on a dyno, buuuuut ... that's a few hundred bucks I don't wanna spend right now.

Y'know. 'Cause, like ... mo' guns. Priorities. Y'know. Reasons. :D

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
20200608_102600.jpg
Ok, I need some help for the KBT.

I want more light on my motorcycle. The stock bike had these 'A Bugs Life' mirrors that gave really good views of my elbows, and little of what was on the road behind me. One of the very few mods I've made was to put bar end mirrors on. They work and (to me) look great. They are to dang small to see if that car way back there is a cop, but they are rock solid with not a bit of vibration in the image and the optics are perfect. I'm happy with them.

Pulling the stock mirrors left two mounting sockets that just beg to be filled with two small lights. I found a nice looking light on line for $8.99, course I'd need two of them. I'm a firm believer in the rule 'there is such a thing as not paying enough'. I want good lights. Good lights mounted correctly and not messing with the clean look of the bike. I had to drop the bike off at the shop yesterday and asked about lights.

$1500 for a pair. The lights are 5, installation is complex, it is the bmw/ducati dealer, they don't run sales.

So, Keltec bikers, are good lights worth it? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Ok, some extra info:
I hate cheap tools.
The bike is a toy. A very pretty one.
I like safety and more light is more safe.
I can afford the $1500.
I want to keep the look of the bike very clean.
$1500 for two lights sounds stupid expensive.
My last wheel gun was $1300 used for a 5 shooter.

looking forward to your input, thanks guys,
Lop

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I would say dollar for pound of metal, you spend more on your guns than the bike.
Boolits go faster than your bike, are much safer as long as you do tour your part.
I would give up the high speed cycle altogether. If you want a road toy thats plenty fun, get a used Slingshot. Then do some body work as they are butt ugly, but the essentials are there. You will have plenty to tinker with.

Take it from a guy whose starting to hit that wall, keep your body in one piece as long as you can.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
If the lights are way bright, fit & look like they belong there then $500 for parts don't sound that bad, I can't believe I'm saying that.

As for a grand for labor, My attitude has changed somewhat. If I've got the time, enjoy the work & it's within my capabilities & tools I'll spend 3 days on a 4 hour job & love every minute of it.

However, as I get older, can afford it & have more projects than time I'll pay someone else to turn a wrench. I just got thru spending $1,100 with my local independent retired~from~honda mechanic. Front wheel bearing, A/C relay, condenser fan, condenser & diagnosis/checkout.

I could have replaced the relay & fan & the condenser wasn't leaking but was beat up. I figured I'd give him some work, it looked kinda slow at the shop, & I'd rather spend my time doing something other than sweating in the driveway.

Now my Shovelhead, ain't nobody ever turned a wrench on her other than me & my best friend Brad & he's gone on to Harley Heaven.

Finally, don't scrimp on lights if you are riding at night. I know when I was riding after dark I always wished I had more light.

Have fun, be careful.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I agree with not wanting to cheap out on important things where safety is concerned. However, $1,500 for LIGHTS? Yikes. I haven't even heard of lights for a car costing that much, let alone something for a bike. I would definitely hunt around for alternatives. I can maybe see $500 as reasonable, but for 3x more that amount, are they really 3x better? :confused:

Bear in mind that this is coming from a dude who's reluctant to spend about $120 on an LED headlight and bracket assembly for his own bike to replace the so-so LED headlight currently on my Yamaha Stryker, but ... well, that's just my cheapskate tendencies at work there... :D

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Bear in mind that 66.6% of that is labor DW.

Then again I have spent over $1,000 on a 6 shooter ... twice. Both Rugers at that. :eek:

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
*le sigh* Looks like the transmission on the 'Hoe (2002 Tahoe) is toast. I mean, can't really complain, since it's got like 209k miles on it, and it DID just get me all the way through academy without leaving me stranded, but still ... ugh. That's about $2k I've gotta cough up for a rebuild. First time I've ever spent the coin on a trans rebuild, too, since any other time before, I just took that as a sign that the car needed to go bye-bye and traded it in for a different old car. Buuuuut, I just happen to actually like this one enough that I feel it's worth the investment. Motor's still great and doesn't use hardly a lick of oil between oil changes, doesn't leak anywhere, A/C is ice cold, interior's in great shape, tires/brakes/shocks are all new ... really, no reason NOT to keep it, y'know? Anyway, with all of the overtime I'll be working over the next year, I'll be able to absorb the cost in a jiffy. In the meantime, though ... no spare cash for new pew-pews. :(

13841 - 13860 of 13916 Posts