Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

13821 - 13840 of 13918 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Well, on the bright side of things, my sense of smell/taste is improving - about 50% of normal now. On the downside, Wifey's sniffer is like 100% kaput. She can put stuff right under her nose and can't smell a thing.

Today would be a good day for me to indulge in lots and LOTS of garlic-heavy foods without any consequences. :D

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Aaaaaaaaand our graduation date got pushed back by one week. They extended our stay-at-home order for another week, so we all have time to recover and won't need to be recycled. (Either way, I'm stuck here at home for another week anyway. Bleh. Soooo wish I had some kinda project(s) to do here to keep me busy...) No word yet on whether they'll allow guests to our graduation or if they'll just live-stream the ceremony like they did with one or two other classes this year.

Sooooo ... nothing to do except exercise and review class notes n' crap for the next week and a half on our own, and then they're gonna throw us right into our field problems, high risk stop, and "chaos drill" tests (sorta like final exams for practical applications of stuff) without any real chance for review and without having covered a LOT of material (specific to our department) that we were supposed to get to do this week and next week. Sort of a "sink or swim" thing, I guess. Fun time.

*le sigh* Nah, not stressing out at all. :no:

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I'm-a trainin' to be da po-po at forty-two years old. It took me a little longer than most folks to decide what I wanna be when I grow up. :D

Given, there's a LOT of folks who would seriously question my sanity for wanting to join up when things are the way they are as of late. But my motivations for going down this path were based upon a desire I've had literally for DECADES - a career I always considered, but either honestly thought I couldn't do or because I got sidetracked by other career interests in life. (Cars, healthcare, writing, etc.) My drive to do this job is NOT based upon some random whim that's subject to change based solely upon public perception. As I see it, all of this nonsense shall pass in time. It'll almost certainly settle down a LOT after Election Day, regardless of who wins, because a lot of it is being driven by politicians on both sides pulling strings to try to swing voters one way or another. And hopefully, once things calm down again and all the changes settle in, I'll be more able to adapt to the changes because it's all new to me anyway, as opposed to someone who's been doing things a certain way for a long time and then having to retrain to be in line with new policies/procedures.

That's the hope, anyway. o_O

Only have 4 more weeks of academy left. Well ... not counting next week, which is another week of me sitting around the house, trying not to go stir-crazy. Started getting wild with rearranging furniture and stuff today. Got The Kid involved in the festivities by moving his bedroom around a bit, too. Kills some time, and pushing around heavy dressers and such counts as exercise, sooooo ... win-win! :)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
DW- Great news about the extension, thus avoiding the recycle.

Thank goodness folks like you are still willing to step up. Bravo!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
@darkwriter77
Get within 4 weeks of graduation, and now this. Hopefully, this won't cause me to be recycled - that's 5 months of my life wasted that I won't get back.

And then we generally agree "we get what we get".
That's fine until after taking the departments BS for years, you go down on duty somehow that isn't covered and you and fam are screwed.

If this academy isn't flexible enough to grant you continuation of the course, its a big sign of incredible stupidity. If they try to recycle you, call it a sign.
There will come a time when cops will turn in their badges en masse because they're not supported by the courts or departments, city politics, social ideology, whatever.

I try not to watch or read much fiction because it just fills the mind with unforgettable non-truths. But I was eagerly expecting the redoux of the Watchmen on HBO. I saw the pilot.
I will not go into length here why I won't be watching the rest of the series.
Suffice to say the story line is that of a crazy world where anger, violence and fear run rampant. Part of the problem in this world is how there is no respect for the police and its so dangerous to be a law man, they have to hide their identities. Like the feds do in Mexico now. There is a scene, I wish I could un-see, where a patrol cop makes a routine stop and he is in fear for his life. His pistol is locked in a device on the console that is remotely unlocked after he gets approval from his supervisor after he answers a series of qualifying questions to justify the use of force...Giving his threat enough time pump him full of lead.
That was the only worthwhile takeaway.
I just received UOF training that told me if I get shot or shoot in uniform while not in the performance of my duties, I am not covered. I currently work for 7 hours a day in a 8x20 booth with 5 people, nobody but me wearing a mask (Corona virus Covid 19 time) in the US city with the third highest number of active flu cases. The management isn't smart enough to space us out.
I could go on with the ways my agency doesn't have my back.
Yea, I'm proud of what I do, but when everyone in management is just a supine yes-man to a handful of narcissists at the top, the guy at the bottom just "gets what he gets".

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Just to be clear, they are NOT recycling us. They're not even requiring us to get a second test in order to be "cleared" to come back; rather, they feel that giving us 2 weeks of stay-at-home time should be plenty time for anyone who is sick to let the bug run its course, which seems completely fair and reasonable (especially since most of us were asymptomatic, anyway). The downer is that we're missing out on a LOT of training because they had to trim so much from our schedule, lest they be forced to push our graduation date TWO weeks out instead of just one ... and honestly, I'd rather they have opted for the latter, as I kinda feel like we're missing out on a LOT of good training we could really use.

They really, REALLY want us out there ASAP. Even before all of this 'Rona nonsense and riots and whatnot, they were already short by something like 600 officers because they had about a 10-year hiring freeze and there is a HUGE generational gap so to speak; now those folks they hired before that gap are all coming up on their 20-year mark and a TON of them are not loving the way things are lately and they're all looking to jump ship as soon as they hit their 20, so that 600-officer deficit is getting worse every month. Because it takes so long to get background checks and polygraphs and whatnot done on folks, they can't hire 'em fast enough to even begin to keep up with the attrition rate; just the same, even once they're hired, there's the usual percentage of folks that either drop out of or get booted out of academy for the usual reasons (academics, injuries, illness, personality, etc.), so that number gets even smaller still. And then once they hit the streets, there's always ANOTHER chunk of those folks that either bail out or get booted because they either can't hack it in FTO or the job just isn't what they thought it would be.

Say they pre-hire 75 people; out of those, at least 25 fall out of the process for background or polygraph issues (people omit stuff on backgrounds or the poly and get booted when things are revealed); out of the remaining 50 that get to academy, at least 5 will fail out for attendance (you can only miss 20 hours, which is two 10-hour days), at least 2 more for poor test scores, 1 or 2 more for injuries, and there will always be at least 1 clown that gets thrown out because he can't behave like an adult. That leaves you with MAYBE a graduating class of like 40 recruits; when they get out on FTO, I hear something like 30% don't make it for the aforementioned reasons, so you wind up with maybe, what ... 28 or so that make it to the end of their first year? And during those 6 months or so, the department probably something like 200 officers to retirements, lateral transfers, terminations, and resignations. Departments (not just ours) aren't even CLOSE to breaking even on the folks they're bringing in versus the ones leaving.

Some departments are loosening standards for things like fitness and such to try to get more folks to apply and get into and through the process, but I feel that often leads to other problems later on (poor long-term health, higher on-duty injury rates, more sick days, etc.), so that isn't going to fix the issue, either.

There's a cultural shift going on with society as a whole, I fear, and unless things change for the better, it's probably going to get a fair bit worse. And I DO believe that it WILL eventually get better. It's sort of a pendulum thing that takes place over the decades like a lot of other issues: one side pushes and pushes and society lazily goes along with it up until they reach a tipping point where folks are like, "Whoa, whoa, hold on, this is starting to be a little too extreme," and then things start gradually relaxing for a few years before an incident spurs another swing back. Same thing happens with gun control: folks push for "reasonable" and "common sense" stuff about "assault weapons" initially, and then it gets weirder and weirder until they're caught on mic outright stating NOBODY needs ANY kind of firearm, and when a pandemic and riots make people how nutty that rhetoric sounds ... well, then we have record gun sales. And in either case, all of the drama usually coincides with presidential election years, so regardless of whichever way the election goes this November, I figure this should start to ease up a bit by next spring at the latest. Maybe. Hopefully. I dunno.

So, anyway ... I wonder if I can get away with putt-putting around on my motorcycle a couple of hours? I mean, if I don't even stop for gas or anything else, then I'm TOTALLY doing the social distancing thing (especially since I tend to ride on back roads), and I think Wifey is gonna strangle me if I start rearranging any more rooms in the house just to stay busy, soooooo... :D

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I just read an article online that said realtors are now calling the master bedroom the owners suite, or the primary bedroom. Their reason is that the term Master Suite can imply that there is a master that oversees the household, typically a male, and from a historical perspective, as a master of slaves. This can potentially have gender and racial implications where there is perceived exclusion of females or minorities.
What will we call Master Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Mechanics, etc? Where will this end?

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Just wait. The IT folks will get involved at some point and refuse to call secondary hard drives the "slave drive" or the primary drive the "master drive." Seriously. Oh yeah, and let's get the mechanics on board with this PC nonsense, too, and stop calling parts of the brake and hydraulic clutch systems the "master cylinder" and "slave cylinder." Because, y'know, automotive parts have rights too, right? Ugh. I hate this planet. Seriously. Sign my butt up for Mars ASAP on the first outbound mission. There is almost no intelligent life left down here anymore. :p

In other random news ... thinkin' it's time for Godzilla to find a new home. As much as it might be occasionally fun to be able to just crank slightly on the throttle grip and go from zero to OMFGWTF speed in, like, two seconds ... I'm-a gonna hafta pass that godlike power off to some other lucky mortal. Seriously. I crave a cruiser, anyhow, and I must finally admit that the 2013 Kawasaki Z1000 is more bike than I will ever realistically need/want on the street. Fun? Good God, YES. But TOO fun. Seriously. I just lightly goosed the throttle the other day coming away from a stop while riding with my gal (she was trailing behind on her cute lil' Harley Sportster 883, AKA "The Piglet"), and the rear end wanted to go sideways ... and this was at like 50% throttle. :eek: I'm a pretty sane and responsible fella, and being as such, it's kept me outta trouble (mostly) over the course of my years ... but I can totally see how this beast could EASILY get me in a WHOOOOOOLE lotta trouble I don't need or want at this point in my life.

And anyway, the Z1000 has a STUPID amount of power for a street bike. It's sorta like rocking a .500 S&W Magnum or .50 AE Desert Eagle for concealed carry: Can you do it? Sure! Will it get the job done? Well, yeah ... five times over ... and probably STILL land you in a whole heap of trouble when all is said and done. It's like, every time I ride that beast, I feel like I'm just on the ragged edge of being in control of absolute chaos. Between tippy-toeing things at a stop because it's so tall and baaaaarely giving it any throttle at any given time (seriously, anything more than 50% throttle in the first 3 gears automatically means the front wheel is going skyward), riding this bike is starting to feel like swatting flies with a howitzer.

Sooooo ... yeah. I figure I need enough "oomph" in a ride to get me AWAY from trouble (that is, other stupid drivers on the road) without getting me INTO trouble (via twisting that right wrist just a smidge too much), plus I miss the relaxed riding position of a cruiser in general, sooooo ... yeah. Looking at a cruiser again. With absolutely nothing to do this past week or so while in quasi-quarantine but exercise, review radio codes and criminal law, and look up reviews and whatnot on motorcycles ... at this point, I'm kinda leanin' towards a Yamaha Star Stryker. Considered getting another Harley Sportster 1200, but ... bah! Air-cooled motors and Arizona summer heat don't play well together. Seems it's liquid-cooled or nothin' in this part of the world.

Sooooo, this is the beast I'm currently lookin' at, with exhaust, intake, mini-fairing, and mini crash-bar in place:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I just read an article online that said realtors are now calling the master bedroom the owners suite, or the primary bedroom.
Does this mean I have to stop calling the second bedroom the slave room?:ignore:

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Sooooo ... I am weak. I bought it. Aaaaaand, after consulting Google Translate for random words, we settled upon a name for it: Kogan ... which is Japanese for "testicles." :D

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Sooo, I kept the ridiculously loud air horn I had on Godzilla and poked it on Kogan today - yayyy for defensive measures against inattentive drivers! :D

Might start piddling around with the Power Commander V on there and see if I can use the Autotune feature to try to get rid of the nasty amount of pinging I've been getting once it's warmed up. Dunno if someone just put cheap 87 octane gas in there when it's tuned for 91 octane or if they just used some generic "one size fits most" tuning map they downloaded that was made for folks in much cooler climates than Arizona. Gonna run the tank almost dry or just siphon the junk out and dump it in my Tahoe - that thing will drink ANY kinda crap gas! :) - and then fill it with fresh 91 octane before I start fiddling with the tune, lest I wind up tuning it to run on crap fuel.

Previous owner did some good and bad modifications to the bike. They installed good brands/models of intake (Kuryakyn Alley Cat), exhaust (Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered), and tuner (PCV), and they put in an LED headlight module instead of just a plug-in LED bulb - they even fabricated a bracket (welded and everything) to make it fit. Alas, the LED module they used is kinda "meh" at best, nowhere near as good as the "daymaker" style LED unit I put in Wifey's Harley, and putting one of those in this thing is gonna cost me like $120. And while they did put a nice flasher module on the factory LED brake light - flashes rapidly at first when you first brake, then slows and glows steady after a couple of seconds - they also added a bunch of LED light strips all over the inside parts of the bike and tied it to various parts. Nice part is, when you hit the brake, darn near the whole rear half of the bike lights up BRIGHT red; downside is, it also has these stupid other modes where the lights cycle between different colors and/or flashing, and it's controlled by a tiny little remote whose durability I seriously doubt. Wish I could remove the flashy/color features and just have the brake light feature, otherwise I've gotta yank a LOT of wiring junk out from all over. Ugh.

Aaaaaand in other random news ... there's a Russian SKS at the LGS tempting me. Numbers don't match, of course, but it IS in good shape and still has the blade bayonet on there. Thinking my iffy-quality Century Arms RAS47 might be getting traded in for it soon...

13821 - 13840 of 13918 Posts