Inner Recoil Spring Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by AlwaysCarry, May 20, 2008.

1. AlwaysCarry

AlwaysCarry New Member

May 16, 2008
    Ok - disassembled the gun after my first range report for cleaning. Did not notice anything out of the ordinary, except for the inner recoil spring. The outer one is fine. The inner one (which used to be completely straight) now has a slight curve to one of the ends. It is not bent, broken, or otherwise damaged to my observations.

To reassemble, I just turned it around so the guide rod would follow the curve to keep it straight. Reassembly after cleaning with no problems.

Questions:

1. Has this occurred with anyone else?
    2. Should I be concerned or need to do anything about this?

Thank you.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    1. yes
    2. no

;) ;D

These things get pretty bent, twisted & mangled in the normal course of things. Sounds like yours is fine.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    +1 on RAT76's reply

more than likely a reason for a spring to get kinked is that the ends are not seated against the head of the recoil rod or inside the slide when intially installed (the end coil get interleaved).  then when the slide is first racked the coils have to be forced out and then the spring is seated.

being sure the rod head has the inner agaisnt it is easy to see.  for inside the slide, I like to turn the outer spring to screw it into the slide (LH) and thus work the inner coils free

Check to be sure the springs are wound opposite

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    How important is it to have the springs put back on such that they are wound opposite? I never concerned myself with this and haven't a clue how the springs are now oriented on either of my P3ATs.

thanks...

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It doesnt matter, a RH wound is RH wound from either end ;)  KT should have one RH and one LH, therefore the coils cross to reduce the chance of coil interleaving.

Now, even though it doesn't matter, I always put mine back the same end the way they came out

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    AlwaysCarry,

Don't worry about it!

Mine was the same after about 150 -200 rounds. I kept using them and for some reason they straightened out again on their own after a while. At about 2000 rounds they were still working fine, but I thought I was pushing it and replaced them anyway. The replacements were free - so why not? ;)

Bobo

7. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Now that's ... meticulous ;)

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    worst than that, the recoil rod head is scribed so it too gets put back the same each time :-[

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    :) You're beginning to scare me, please don't tell me you load your mag. so that the markings on the brass are all oriented the same way  :)

take care...

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  11. :) You're beginning to scare me, please don't tell me you load your mag. so that the markings on the brass are all oriented the same way  :)

take care...
    [/quote]

JFB scares alot of us!   :eek:

If you ever need a detail explored, he is the go-to guy, just read his signature!

12. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I thought that was how you were supposed to do it. But then again, my closet goes from light clothes to dark clothes, left to right.