Info on the P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Jaybird7, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Jaybird7

Jaybird7 New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I found this site last night and found some very useful knowledge in the P-3AT posts. I know I'm knew to this and I hope I'm not putting this in the wrong section, but I have a few questions that I'd like to ask. I've seen and heard about Kel-Tecs for years and I'm looking at getting a P-3AT, but I want to make sure that I have all the knowledge about the gun and know what I'm getting.

I saw a few people mentioning replacing the guide springs on their guns. With an average of < 500 rounds a year (after break-in of course) what is the average parts that will need to be replaced on a routine?

I'm use to removing the slide, cleaning the barrel, spring/guide rod while cleaning most of my guns, how far do you need to break these guns down and clean them and at what frequency?

I know a gun is as reliable as the care you put into it, and I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision and taking care of the firearm. I found it very interesting about all the little things that can be done to make this a better firearm. It was also interesting to me about how much cleaning and care that needs to be given after trips to the range. These answered a lot of my questions about how a gun this reliable be so cost efficient.

I hope I'm no asking too basic/elementary questions, but I just wanted to get your insights. All and any info is welcome.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

Actually your questions are quite good.

Unlike a 1000$ pistol you mind find out there, you don't have to replace the springs more often than you clean it. I have close to 1000 rounds on a couple of P3ATs with original springs. I have heard others going 2000. Springs are very cheap, in fact most of the time KT send them out for free.

Cleaning is another story. Field strip as you described and clean them out every 50-200 rounds on average. Some weapons have needed it around 50 to remain reliable but most seem to easily go a few hundred rounds. I usually will shoot about 100 rounds at a time and don't have any reliability issues. One key factor on these babies is to keep them well lubed so I clean every couple of weeks of carry and re oil and re grease.

Getting into a KT is a great, addicting thing to do. Sometimes they need a little bit of work to be 100% but the vast majority of times they are 100% out of the box. Just make sure you clean it before going shooting.

-Scott

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.
    adamsesq provide you with the same answers I'm going to also.

While there are detail instructions around here how to take it down to pieces, you only need to perform the field strip as you are familair. This is easliy performed using one round to pull the assembly pin.

After a few hundred rounds of break in and just for fun, I now only shoot 5 rounds every other week, field strip, wipe it down and relube. the cleaning takes 5 minutes max, with one paper towel, and a bottle of lube.

In addition to removing the barrel, you need to include disassembling and cleaning the magazine. while the barrel is off, take the assembly pin, insert it into the magazine's base release, slide it off, remove the spring, follower and wipe it down

Now you need to go out and find your P3AT ;)

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Nothing to add on the P3AT itself as I have only recently purchased mine but haven't yet been to the range. I'm also a recently new owner of a PF9 and if the AT is anything like the 9 it's going to be a great gun.

Price shopping the P3AT can be interesting also. In my area within 10 miles of each other prices for NIB blued P3ATs range from $250 to $320.

There's a PF9 dealer list at the following link and chances are if they have a good price on the PF9 then they have a good price on the P3AT also.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1184204521/14#14

Also, if you give folks here a general idea of your location I'm sure if anybody is close to you they'll let you know the best price they've found.

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Howdy! I can't say much more than what has been said already except that my p3at still has the original springs along with everything else except the slide is a new one sent to me at my request. That I had to pay for, but the minor materials are very cheap to replace, or even free in most cases. Buying that p3at would be a good investment if it is new/in good shape.

6. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    I found adding the AGlaser recoil pads (one set) and their fine rubber grip sleeve to make a HUGE difference in comfort and control of my P3AT. The improvement in my groups at 15' surprised even me. Anytime you combine a larger caliber with a tiny launch platform the recoil, bark, muzzle flash and general discomfort ARE going to make themselves known in a hurry.

The whole premise of this type handgun IMHO is providing an affordable and more importantly SMALL & LIGHT platform for personal protection. Is a tiny 380 the "best" choice for close range self defense? No. IMHO a 12ga shotgun is. But slid into a front pants pocket my Remington pump tends to 'print' just a wee bit - lol

The P3AT is a handgun most ANYONE can shoot and carry which means they most likely WILL have it along in the very unlikely event the need should arise. (presuming they comply with all local laws and obtain a CCW permit -mine is from Utah) I too now shoot just a few mags at each range visit and put more 380 rounds down range thru my Bersa. But the KelTec has found a comfy home in a front pocket holster. Whether it will serve as a primary or a BUG on all my travels depends on my fashion choice and holster purchases-lol - but either way it will be along.

7. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    my advice is to get pinkey extension..the new ones don't come with it..if you go used odds are it will all ready be there...rubber grips are an nice option also...you may want to do a search to see different options...gpr

8. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Jaybird,

Get a CDNN Sports catalog if you don't have one ( you can download the PDF file ) and check their price. You will probably save money over retail if you buy one from them and have it shipped to your local FFL, as long as he doesn't charge too much for the transfer. Mine charges $20 which isn't bad. If your total cost with shipping and FFL is under $255 I'd be tempted to go that route. If you're not handy or think you might need lots of help with the gun than it pays to make friends with your local dealer, but it sounds like you can handle field stipping.

I think a rubber grip sleeve and a mag extension so you have something for your pinky to hang onto are well worth the cost. Just MHO on all the above.

Congratulatons on becoming a KTOGer. Please write us a range report when you get a chance.

9. Welcome to KTOG J-bird.

You already have most of the stuff I would have given you, except I may tend to push the fluff and buff a bit more than most, and i also suggest LOTS of lube, including grease on rails and hammer / slide contact areas.

I do clean 1x week, even if I don't shoot that much.

And at odd intervals, my 3AT's will look like this:

[​IMG]

10. Jaybird7

Jaybird7 New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Thanks for all the great advice so far, and keep it coming. I'll definitely check out that dealers link and the CDNN Sports catalog for prices to referrence from. I live close to Greensboro, NC and hope to make it to the gun show there this weekend. I have seen the P-3AT any where from $240-270 around here lately. Just hope to find a nice one this weekend.

11. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Based on what I've seen.

$270 is a good price.

$240 is a great price.

Anything in between is a very good price.

12. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Just found this site today...so here's my first post. I bought my P3AT about a month ago and have just finished putting 50 FMJ/HP through it. I had a few jams at first, but think it was from a weak wrist, no problems now, just what I have been looking for, this is a great little pistol. I just ordered a SmartCarry system for it so I can carry full-time without wearing a jacket or having my shirt out. My pistol cost me $249 (southern Utah) and the SC $53, so for less than $300 I was able to get a reliable system for less than the cost of my Walther TPH that I carried before. For the price and reliability the P3AT is a good SD system.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

the best thing you can do would be to clean, lube and shoot some more ;D

14. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    RE: guide rod springs.

I recently passed 2000 rounds and I have not replaced the springs. I disassemble and clean mine after every range session and when I do I inspect the springs then and so far, so good.

15. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    You cannot check recoil springs by LOOKING. As the springs wear and shorten they tend to transfer more and more shock to the rest of the gun.

The BEST thing you can do to ensure the longevity and reliability of your P3AT is to change the springs every 500 rounds. Yours are WAY overdue. Ask KT to send you a free set.

Packer.

16. jocko

jocko Guest

You cannot check recoil springs by LOOKING. As the springs wear and shorten they tend to transfer more and more shock to the rest of the gun.

The BEST thing you can do to ensure the longevity and reliability of your P3AT is to change the springs every 500 rounds. Yours are WAY overdue. Ask KT to send you a free set.

Packer.

[/quote]

cheapest preventative maintenace u can every buy. Ur springs at 2000 rounds are SHOT, ur handgun is taking the beating now..

17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Packer.

[/quote]

Willco

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Packer.

[/quote]

cheapest preventative maintenace u can every buy. Ur springs at 2000 rounds are SHOT, ur handgun is taking the beating now..
    [/quote]

I'm assuming you only mean the recoil springs, right?