Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly soon I will be in the market for a full sized 9mm and have not quite decided on what I want to get. I dont want a polymer and I dont want something that is too common either. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
If by "full size" you mean something with a 4" or longer barrel, then I'll throw out the following non-polymer 9mm's:

1. Smith & Wesson 5906 (the Kel-Tec P11 can use its magazines)
2. Ruger P89 (kinda like the AK-47 of pistols)
3. Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical (available in 9mm, both in single-stack and double-stack models)
4. Beretta 92FS (John Woo's favorite!)
5. EAA Tanfoglio Witness (basically a CZ-75 clone, but you can swap slides/barrels/mags for different calibers)

Those would be my first few non-polymer picks, right off the top of my head.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'll second the Beretta 92.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
If you want a bit of History, the Walther P-38, or the newer P1 version are great shooters and can still be found relatively easily.

I also like the Beretta 92 and Rock Island Armory's 1911 in 9mm.

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
An old German SIG 226.

It'll make you famous at the range.

rc
Heck, a newer one from Exeter NH is also a fine gun. I bought mine (to replace a highpoint I was unhappy with) "used" from the factory. It was a municipule turn in that had been sprinkled with holy water from an armorer and put up for sale with a factory warrenty. I paid 585 for a FLAWLESS gun with some holster ware. This is one fine gun. Take down is simple. It has never not worked perfectly. Anytime it has missed you know it was me. I'm not RC, Hardshell, nor Poncho, but I do have a nice selections of guns to choose from, and when the chips are down, this is the one I grab. The only down side is that if you like to tinker and fiddle with your gun to 'get it perfect' you might be disappointed. Load any 9mm in the mag, pull the trigger and BANG. Every time.
The only complaint I've ever heard about Sigs is price. They aren't that much more money and they are such fine guns. Find one 'pre-owned' and that strike disappears.

Lop

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hmm. My top few would be, in no particular order...

a 9mm 1911. Great trigger, and some models are high cap (15, 17 rounds or so). Downside: not usually cheap. Not common --- 1911 is a gold bar per dozen but very few have a 9mm variety.

Beretta 92. Terrible trigger, but an excellent and timeless classic, reliable and accurate.

cz 75 or witness or similar. Uncommonish, these are very accurate, can be carried cocked & locked, and the cz shop can do a lot of neat stuff to the 75's. There are modernized versions of the 75 as well, same thing but a little different, take a look at all things cz, all similar but the little stuff matters too.

The jeherico you asked about is more or less the same as the cz / eaa witness and friends. Good reputation.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fairly soon I will be in the market for a full sized 9mm and have not quite decided on what I want to get. I dont want a polymer and I dont want something that is too common either. Any suggestions?
The CZ 75 is the one you want.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Of course, you could always consider a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Mag with the 9mm conversion cylinder and a 7.5" barrel. Or maybe a Master Piece Arms MPA30SST 9mm with a side-cocking handle, a 30-round mag, and a big thread-on fake suppressor - can't get much more "full size" than that and still call it a pistol. :D

·
Banned
149 Posts
EAA Tanfoglio Witness (basically a CZ-75 clone, but you can swap slides/barrels/mags for different calibers).

These are inexpensive and shoot well.

Scott

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Of course I'll have to also vote for the Sig 226. Or even a Sig 225 (I think that's the number) which is a police trade in from Germany. But the Sig's are a bit expensive.

I like the Smith & Wesson 5906 for the lower cost alternative. And if you don't like the stainless steel look of the 5906 the 5903 is black. Both of these are 2nd generation S&W autos. The third generation would be the model 915 with a black alloy frame and black slide. I have one and love it. Feels great in the hand. There is also a lower cost model 910 with a little less fine lines in the slide. The M&P series replaced these third generation models.

·
Registered
152 Posts
CZ-75

Rock Island 1911 (don't let the price fool you)
They're a solid 1911 backed by EXCELLENT custy service and life time warranty

Beretta 92FS(on sale right now at CDNN for $500 and change)

Ruger SR9

S&W M&P
Glock
Springfield XD

yea I know you said no poly.
But those are three of the best pistols money can buy...bar none

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally Posted by jhawkins
The CZ 75 is the one you want.
I'd second the CZ 75. I'd also so throw in the EAA Witness Steel Compact http://www.eaacorp.com/ . It's pretty much the same as Tanfoglio. I have a couple of Witness-P models and like them very much. DA/SA, DA first round and SA follow ups.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Second the S&W 5906. Got one from CDNN for $299.00. Was graded good to very good condition. Very pleased with conditon and accuracy. Best of all it uses the same series 59 magazine as the Sub 2000 S&W edition.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts