Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
RFB Hunter
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Did I Do?

I bought a used RFB with accessories with a high sticker shock price. What I want to know is if, overall, I did really well on the purchase, paid a fair but unremarkable price, or was completely hosed by my impatience.

After a month of serious local and online gun store sleuthing and not being able to find a sub $1500 new-in-box RFB anywhere, my patience was really stretched. Every time I called on an ad I was late by a day or two and it had already been sold. It has been on my list for a while and with tax returns coming I mentally committed myself to a purchase as soon as an opportunity arose. Last week I found a consigned "never been fired" Hunter model with a ton of accessories for an even $2k. Well over my intended price point. Regardless, I got itchy and jumped. Upon receiving the gun and breaking it down, I felt confident that it indeed had little to no sign of being fired, and that the story of it belonging to a well-to-do collector looking to cash out was true. There was very little wear, no carbon deposits or burn discoloration, and what appeared to be old and dry semi hardened factory grease. I promptly de-greased the entire thing and lubed it according to YouTube videos and forum recommendations. It seemed to mechanically operate smoothly and pleasantly. So far so good. I have yet to take it to the range, but I have high hopes.

Anyways, to my question. It came with several Kel Tec accessories as well as 14, 20rnd thermold magazines. The accessories and mags total $685 in today's money from KelTec's online store, (and some aren't even available in stock for whatever that's worth). I threw on some cheap flip up sights, vertical fore grip, and bi-pod from Amazon for under $75. I got a couple of flavors of ammo to test as well. So with everything mentioned so far, plus shipping and FFL fees, cleaning kit, and grease, I'm into it around $2,250 total. I figure that if I deduct all of the accessories and fees the base rifle cost me $1350 for a previously owned gun in great condition, that I was going to want to add the majority of those accesories to anyways. Although I'm super razzed about it all, ultimately I'd like to hear the candid opinions of people familiar with the system and its' costs. I'd like to know whether or not I've lost sight of reality with this purchase, or if I'm doing all right as a new member of the RFB community.

Black Font Rectangle Trigger Automotive exterior

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think value is in the eye of the beholder. That said, my LGS has a brand new RFB for $1150 which is a good deal, all things considered.

As you've already pulled the trigger, it's pointless to find comparisons. As long as the rifle functions fine and is within acceptable margins for accuracy, then try to be happy about your purchase.

Let us know how she does at the range. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You probably could have done better, but you were not robbed. New ones on the web vary by over 500 bucks from 1500 to 2k on the average and if you dig deep you may find it lower but likely have to deal with out of state FFL, transfer and shipping fees.... so while the base cost might drop the out of pocket would be similar.
Sometimes having it now beats months of chasing down a deal to save $200. Ive done the same, we all probably have.
Besides, a cleaning kit and grease and possibly some of the other stuff is usable on other builds; I pull my bipod off and move it as needed sometimes.

·
Registered
RFB Hunter
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound advise all around. Thanks for the responses and the encouragement.
I'll get to shoot it soon hopefully, but I do love the gun even not knowing how it will run and after seeing the money leave my account. So I suppose I'm not going to regret the purchase no matter what the range time will reveal. I can get carried away on projects at times and I really just needed an objective perspective to reorient myself on this one.
I'm a .22lr enthusiast and a tinkerer by nature, and the unique mechanics of this rifle are very enjoyable to me. The challenge of tuning it is something I look forward to. I've ran spontaneous projects in the past but the price points for this caliber, manufacturer, and platform are completely foreign to me. Additionally this was my first purchase involving an out of state seller and there are plenty of horror stories out there involving this situation.
With the input you've all given, my fear that I had allowed myself to be a total sucker to the modern predatory firearms market has been alleviated. Though I will be a little more prudent in the future, it's good to know that I probably only paid a reasonable amount above par for the course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you did a good buy. Mine was slightly used with a vortex scope and 3 mags and custom case 1500.00. It had been vandalized with a wild colored paint scheme . I spent 150.00 more having it cleaned & cerrocoated & purchased 4 new mags & 500 rds & have over 2200.00 in it now. I am happy with it, I love Keltec.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good buy! Don't worry about price (too much), if you plan on keeping it long term. That $2250 that you spent means that it'll only have costed $225 a year for the next 10 years. Firearm prices rarely go down, usually only up, so that money that you spent today is saving you money in the long run, and will make you a profit if you do sell it in the long run. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
My local gun store sells it for around 1200. Luckily I found one new with a hard case for 780 shipped about 2 or 3 years ago. The case is nice but as soon as you put an optic on it she won’t fit in there again unless I dremel it out a bunch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts