important lesson I learned

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rdemilt, Dec 2, 2010.

1. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Today I went to the local gun range to shoot the p3at,  at this point I have about 250 rounds thru the gun and have cleaned it after each use. Today I was expecting everything to go as always but  after the first pull of the trigger nothing happened  :-[, reracked it, second pull, nothing  :'(. Switched ammo to something that has always worked, it fired but failed to eject the casing  >:(. I went out to the show room and removed the slide, everything looked OK then I noticed that the famous little screw looked somewhat weird, but it was tight so back inside I went to try again, another fire but again it did not eject the casing.. I had a hunch that I knew where the problem was because the last time I shot and cleaned  it I noticed the famous little screw was loose so I removed it cleaned the threads, added locktite and put it back.  Next door is a gun smith so I went to him seeking advice, What we found was just as I thought, weeks before when I removed the famous screw somehow it got miss alligned and was causing problems with the firing pin and not holding tension on the extractor which we found in place but loose. The Smith worked the slide, hammer and trigger which allowed the famous screw to go in 2 additional complete turns, tightening the spring and extractor. he never disassembled the gun so I dont know the exact problem, Back to the range I went and it fired  50 + rounds with no problem. The scarry part is I have had the gun in my pocket for the last 2 weeks thinking it was ready to protect  me or my family if needed. Tonight I plan on looking at the parts diagram to see what happened and Tomorrow I will clean it  so I'll look further into how the screw should fit so not to duplicat that error again.

Sorry for the long story Im just trying to share my mistake so hopefully no one else makes the same one.  

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the "round" firing pin has one side milled flat in the center. you put the screw in so it hit the round out side diameter of the pin. you need to roll the pin so that the flat is under the screw and thus it will go in the addtional turns and it will NOT touch the flat of the pin. with the slide off, the firing pin extends out of the slide and you can see the milled flat.

Use the recoil rod to push in on the firing pin and verify it is free to go in and out. you could have bent the pin when you tried to tighten it in the wrong position

there are photos and drawings of FPs if you need to see or the best thing is pull the pin and see for yourself.

3. droshi

droshi New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I think it points out a good lesson for people looking at the P3AT (such as myself! :)) That it is a gun you have to really get to know how each part works and what it does. It seems this little pup can be tuned and tailored in many ways, but it can also have a few pieces you have to keep your eye on.

I can see how it would be a gun I would be wary to recommend to others than myself....

4. phair12

phair12 New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    The Screw goes in the gap seen below.
    [​IMG]

5. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I dont find the gun as being faulty, I was me that didnt watch that it was assembled correctly after cleaning. Now that I know better that wont happen again.  

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    while the comment is true, those are not p3at firing pins