I'm scared to do anything to my lil baby!!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkboyer911, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rkboyer911

rkboyer911 New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I took it out to the range today......I knew the gun had only 7 rounds put thru it before I bought it...so I had cleaned it really well and lubed it with some Militec-1...I took it out and put 150 rounds of 3 different types of ammo including Winchester Ranger SXT HP, FMJ round nose and FMJ flat nose and not 1 problem it cycled every round like a champ! ;D ;D I wanted to take advantage of the gun being hot and I was throwing the Militec to it while it was good and warm so it would bond to the metal but other than that, I don't want to mess anything up so I'm not sure I want to do a fluff and buff on it ot not...Any thoughts??

2. catfish308

catfish308 New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    If it works don't worry about the F&B. Just get some more ammo and shoot it!  ;)

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    A gentle F&B will only make it better. I also am a fan of Militec-1 oil. It's all I use on my P3 and most of my other guns.

4. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I would say if you make it to 200 rounds flawless (if you can find that much ammo, LOL) then no need to bother in my opinion. If it ain't broke...

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    500+ rounds through mine and never a F&B

Took it out of the box, cleaned it, oiled it, shot the crap out of it. I think I've cleaned it twice in that 500 rounds, mainly to look for uneven wear.

+1 to the others who have said clean, lube, shoot and repeat.

6. rkboyer911

rkboyer911 New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ya the darn ammo is the worst thing......wish I had about 2-3,000 rounds LOL

7. AlwaysCarry

AlwaysCarry New Member

May 16, 2008
    Everyone here is correct - no need to fix it if it ain't broke.

My range report was a long time ago, but I put 200 rounds through it in one session.

My hand was sore by the end, but I believe I only had 1 FTF and 1 FTE at rounds 75 and then 125 or 150; I knew those were because it was getting gunked up with powder and stuff.

There has been no fluff and buff on my pistol; the only thing that I noticed was after the 200 rounds, the recoil springs were curved; Kel Tec had me replacements at no charge within 48 hours.

8. rjwiggall

rjwiggall New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I asked basically the same question a few weeks ago, and came to the conclusion that it's perfect as is. You want to F+B because you've read all about it, but you don't need to. F+B was first done to p3's that came out of the box needing a little "refining"... and yours doesn't need it.

BUUUUTTTTTTT....... it's always fun to tinker.

9. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If you were able run 150 rounds through a new gun flawlessly without any cleaning, you got a great gun and it doesn't need a F&B. Just clean and lube after each range visit -- and enjoy!!.

Bobo

10. rkboyer911

rkboyer911 New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ya i took it home right after the range and cleaned it really well and relubed it with the militec and in the holster it went!

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I now do a F&B on ALL of my semi-autos before shooting them the first time. Most guns are almost perfect out of the box but it doesn't hurt to check one really good to begin with. In the past with guns, all I did was clean and lube then go to the range. I had trouble with them all except for a Springfield XD SC I recently got rid of. The XD is the only gun I've ever owned that would not jam no matter what I did to it. It was just to heavy everyday for me to carry without changing my entire wardrobe. Ironically, my wife carries the XD SC everyday. But I digress.

Doing the F&B is fun but it mainly allows you to get very familiar with your guns. In the end, however, it is up to you as to how much time you want to put into a gun. If you don't want to do the F&B on your P3AT, it's probably good to go right out of the box anyway. If it isn't perfect your first time out, the F&B can help it get there quicker. YMMV.

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Bill and I are exact opposites. LOL

My idea of a F&B (for all guns, not just KT) is: Basic dis-assembly, cleaning, and lube once I get it home. Go to the range, with 200 rounds of FMJ. Shoot the heck out of it.

Take it home, and clean and lube it again.

No problems with any of my handguns yet. :)

13. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Lurker 38

Like your idea of F&B. :cool:

If it ain't broke . . .

Mine worked fine, no need to mess with it. :-*