I'm pumped!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dennishoddy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    The wife let the dogs out last night about 8:30, and came back in saying there was an armadillo in the yard. I didn't know how much time I had to get a proper firearm out of the safe, as the dogs chase them, so I pulled my .380 with laser out of the pocket, and Started the hunt... ::)
    He had burrowed into some leaves around a flower pot to hide. With my wife holding the spotlight I booted him out of there, and across the yard he went. BAMM!, missed.(curses from me, laughs from my wife) BAMM!(more and worse curses from me, and hysterical laughter from my wife) Bamm! A HIT! ;D ;D
    He made it across the fence, but was slowed down enough I was able to get up there and administer the coupe D' Gras ;D ;D My first kill since my back went out ;D
    Here he is in the weeds. I'll have to get him packed out of there before the dogs find him. Any body want some wild game meat?
    [​IMG]

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I was just talking to a buddy the other day about shooting an armored Opossum! Didn't plan on doing it with my P3AT though :-? Looks like it did a nice job on that one! What loads are you shooting?

3. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Not trying to sound like a prude or anything just want to understand. Why exactly did you shoot it? Are they harmful or dangerous or something? We have them here but I've never heard of anybody just shooting one for the hell of it.

4. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Armadillo In Mustard Sauce:

http://www.xrecipes.com/g49.htm

Armadillo Stew - Video
    [ame]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1084945/armadillo_stew/[/ame]

Enjoy, bon appetit.

5. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Nice! Never hunted with my 3at but it looks like you done good. How much penetration did you get? What round?

6. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    They'll tear up a yard, they can possibly carry rabies, rip flowers out, forget a vegetable garden. They are looking for worms and they have vicious claws to dig with, and defend with. So yeah, I don't want them around a residential area, especially with children and pets. Of course, in a heavily populated area like I live in, even a .22 would probably bring a visit from one of Sheriff Shoar's buddies. That still leaves 10 pumps in the Crossman pellet rifle.

7. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Several weeks ago we had an armadillo digging thru the flower beds in my neighborhood. He dug big holes in some of the yards. Lately there have been skunks coming up and eating my outside cats' food. I pulled out the Ruger Hunter and capped him since they carry rabies. After I shot him he sprayed the area and stunk up the place.  :-[ I've seen a possum once or twice, and if he comes back again he's going to get a lead shower as well.

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    These Mexican immigrants are now spread widely across the U.S. In my home state of Alabama they are public enemy number one for deer hunters. They tear up green fields and make so much noise that they spook deer and frustrate hunters. I know plenty of folks that kill all of them they find. I have never personally killed one but I've cursed a few of them for making me think the biggest deer in the woods was coming to see me. ;D

I must admit that I've never thought about eating one before. I've eaten a lot of things but I'm not sure I would find armored opossum very appetizing. I would be willing to at least try it if someone else did the gutting, cleaning, and cooking though.

I honestly have no idea if they can even be found this far north in the KCMO are.

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    AFAIK we have always had armadillos in Florida. They are often seen run-over on the roads here. Possums and raccoons seem to be in decline. I've seen only two run-over red foxes over the years. Years ago I even let a raccoon in the house, he or she was obviously a former pet as it was even toilet trained, perched on the rim of the bowl to do its business. Ended up having to "encourage" it to leave with a long barbecue fork after it started to rip up the furniture.

10. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    armadillos are just a opossium from the south. they can get into all kinds of stuff that you don't want them in.

11. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Sure hope this post is 'tongue in cheek'. Because I don't think they taste very good. That too is tongue in cheek.

But on the other hand, armadillo is good eating.

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Hey Billyjohnso20, just head south of Clinton. About twice a year from Clinton to Springfield I'll count any where from 7 to 15 of 'em in the road. They're migrating north so be on the lookout. :)