I'm new here, just got my new p3at today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by junk, Jul 19, 2010.

1. junk

junk New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I have been lurking here for a long while and finally took the plunge !

I just received my new 2nd Gen P3at from my FFL today, haven't even found any ammo yet .

My serial # is KPBxx I'm assuming this is recent enough to have all the latest upgrades (new trigger block) ?

The gun was sealed in hard plastic box and was opened by my FLL in front of me.

One little problem, I field stripped in a bag to be sure not to lose the ejector, and lo and behold no ejector installed from factory. :-/  I know that's no biggie, and I can get one sent out.

And now the bigger problem, the slide won't rack.  :eek:

If you dry fire it (I did without letting the hammer drop hard) the slide will rack once then is locked tighter than a hair in a biscuit and wont slide again (unless dry fired again).

I know it should rack/slide freely whether it's loaded or not.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with the fit and finish, no mold lines, machining looks good ect.

Best, Chris

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG....
    as for your inablity to rack the slide unless it is dry fired...can not think of any possible failure that could be

How are you able to not let the hammer fall hard. There is nothing sticking out past the slide, if there is, that is part of the failure

If the dealer doesnot have another to swap, that one needs to go back to KT

3. angel71rs

angel71rs Member

Oct 21, 2009
    You sure? Take another look, I know I had to take a good eyeball of my pistol to find it on 1st disassembly.

I too was very careful when I 1st disassembled my AT expecting the ejector to fall out. Nope, it was locked in place tight as hell. I'm thinking in later pistols (mine is KT42xx) the ejector was made a bit larger for a press fit to fix the wandering ejector issue. Look for a small metal block pressed in place, it's black so tends to blend in with the grip when new.

I use the pencil trick to protect the firing pin when dry firing. I have plenty of old pencils laying around with petrified erasers to cushion the pin.

4. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    One little problem, I field stripped in a bag to be sure not to lose the ejector, and lo and behold no ejector installed from factory. :-/  I know that's no biggie, and I can get one sent out.

Best, Chris
    [/quote]

The ejector in my new 3AT is also pressed in. I tried pulling it out for cleaning but it's in there tight so I didn't mess with it anymore.

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    First - Welcome to KTOG, uh, junk. It's not unusual for a dealer to unload a lemon on a new customer - just take it back and and gripe if you can. Otherwise, KT will make it right no matter what it takes - but you'll likely have to pay for shipping. Curse the dealer, get help from KT, then you can (finally) enjoy shooting this fine pocket gun.

That press fit just makes it more sneaky. My "pressed in" ejector wiggled free after about 300 rounds down range. Best to keep an eye on it - just pull-push on it after removing the slide each time for worry free cleaning :)

6. junk

junk New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Well an update,

I just pulled it out to take it apart again, and accidentally let the hammer drop hard when I dry fired it. I was using an ink pen to try to not let the hammer fall hard but it slipped .

I haven't the slightest idea why, but now the slide is working fine and dandy  ;D  Might have been a burr somewhere or maybe the firing pin was stuck or something. It is pretty cruddy inside(not from firing but just dirty oil from machining) especially around the firing pin ,  I plan on giving it a good cleaning tonight if I can find the right torx or hex wrench to remove the extractor/firing pin (I wish it had come with one).

Anyway it looks like all is good, just need to get the extractor replaced now and I'll be good to go.

Below is a couple of pics, (one shows where the ejector goes I think, right?)

I wanted to find a hard chrome model but got tired of looking for one and got a great price on this black/blued model from a reputable dealer online for 230.00 with free shipping +20.00 to transfer.

Thanks all !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Nice Pics...
    I'm wondering, if when you were trying to hold the hammer with a pen while dry firing, it was NOT going far enough to clear the hammer block and it was locking up. and it might have something with the non-short stroking trigger since I could not lock up my hammer while messing around today

a 2mm allen works the best...it is a tight fit so besure you get it in as deep as possible. (it is really a 5/64")

8. junk

junk New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    YFB,

Hello, Might have been something with the trigger block, but the gun was brand New (my FFL broke the factory Keltec label on the box to verify the serial number) so it was like that right from the box.

I removed the little orange plastic thing from the partially open breech then couldn't rack the slide the first try from the box, then when I dry fired it would rack only once until I dry fired again, then when I dry fired without letting the hammer ease down it straightened out... pretty weird !

Maybe the hammer block was somehow out of cycle or something, but I still don't know why that would keep the slide from cycling.

And thanks for the info on the wrench I need, I think I should have a 2mm.

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Wow, sure enough...you are missing the ejector. Strange. Does KT not fire at least one round prior to shipping? I thought they did.

Since the ejector is a press-fit part on the newer models, I hope you can install it OK. If it were me, I'd return it to my FFL to return it to where you bought it from. No fault of your LGS or the place you bought it from for that matter. Just a bad assembly and quality control by KT.

I've not heard of missing parts before. Just a fluke.

10. IMR

IMR New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I would take it back to the gunstore where purchased and show them the ejector is missing.
    If they don't make good on it, e-mail or call Kel Tec for a new one.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The LGS was only acting as the FFL. I think he's gonna have to talk to who he bought it from or else the mothership.

12. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Diamond is right. If the LGS acted only as the point of transfer, junk will need to talk to the actual seller, as something seems definitely "wrong" here. I don't think it likely the gun would have been shipped from Kel Tec minus the ejector, and the problem with the slide seems also somewhat suspicious (re-sealing a box is not all that difficult). I would be concerned that some part of the hammer block or other part was/is jammed and broke when the hammer was slammed down in dry firing. I would suggest either back to seller, or failing that, a trip back to "mother" for a thorough check out and repair. JMHO

Jim R

13. IMR

IMR New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    [/quote]
    The LGS was only acting as the FFL.  I think he's gonna have to talk to who he bought it from or else the mothership.[/quote]

My bad... I should of cought that when he mentioned the FFL dealer.

I would just call Kel Tec and ask them to send me an ejector. That would be a lot easier than sending it back to the gun dealer you'd bought it from.

14. junk

junk New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I contacted Keltec , and they gladly sent the part and a couple freebies(included a guide rod and springs I asked about, and 2 extractor screws, and a hex wrench to fit).

Received parts quick(no questions asked) and at no charge ;).

Best customer service ever, I'm sold on Keltec.

I'll update when I get a chance to shoot it, I have no doubt it will work dandy.

I did do a light buff on barrel/ramp with 1000 grit and it polished up nice.

Best, Chris

15. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    That's great news, great customer service.