Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a sub 2000 gen 2 glock 17 9mm model.
First stupid question.
I can't pull the charging handle back to the locked position. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just a wimp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The little teeny skinny charging handle that you can’t get more than a finger on can be a little tough to manipulate, especially on a new gun where nothing is properly lubed or broken in yet, but it can be done.

I find a quick motion is easier than a gradual one. Don’t hesitate to break it down and lube the bolt a bit - you’ll need to sooner or later, so why not now? Also, get a rubber sleeve for the charging handle - makes a world of difference.

Reactions: BJK

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just purchased a sub 2000 gen 2 glock 17 model.
First stupid question.
I can't pull the charging handle back to the locked position. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just a wimp?
It needs to be worked quite a bit to unstiffen. I suggest you leave it open for a few days. Then get the $4.50 charging handle cover from Tacticool Products. Makes it a lot easier to charge. You might also want to order the bolt tube cover for $14.25. Either way it's free shipping. I bought both and am glad I did.

Reactions: BJK

·
Registered
809 Posts
And welcome to the world of Kel-Tec and the best forum for KT owners on the WWW.

Reactions: cb56

·
Registered
71 Posts
First stupid question.
Hang in there, it gets better! I struggled with it when it was new as well. I agree that a quick pull works better than a gradual one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I did not like the OEM charging handle at all. That said, the OEM was better with the cover than without. My solution was an unbranded replacement handle with much better sizing, & no pinch point with the tube.

OP did not say specifically how he is attempting to charge, however for me it is more effective to run the charging handle with my foregrip hand, middle finger (with index finger parallel with the tube), fire control hand on the PG, push forward with FC hand, pull back with the charging handle finger.

Badda bing...

·
Registered
110 Posts
When my sub2k was new I would brace it against my chest and use both hands to pull the bolt back. After a few hundred rounds it gets a lot easier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
First stupid question.
I want to confirm you're having trouble with a NEW sub. If you bought a used sub, you want to confirm that a Tacticool Recoil Buffer is not installed before breaking out your inner Magilla Gorilla.

Tacticool makes a very effective recoil buffer but it does prevent you from locking the bolt back unless modified.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, but mine is new.
I've read through the manual. I know I'm supposed to clean the barrel before shooting, but am I also supposed to lube the bolt and other moving parts?
I have hoppe's #9.
I guess that qualifies as stupid question #2.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hoppe's #9 will do just fine. I personally like to clean and lube every new pew pew that I buy, but that is me. Some people will just take them out of their box and head to the range. Your firearm, your choice how you take care of it. My philosophy is a clean gun makes for a more reliable gun.

Enjoy your new subbie. I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just to be clear Hoppes #9 is a cleaner and a great cologne, but it isn't a lubricant. After using the Hoppes it gets wiped down to remove it and then oil applied to the moving parts. Oh, and don't use it on the skin even though it does smell great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, thanks. Btw just ordered the MCarbo Bolt tube cover and the recoilless charging handle.
I imaging M Carbo and Missouri Tactical will be seeing alont of my business in the next few weeks.
I want to put the taller rear notched sight and the buttstock recoil pad on.
I know 9mm but I'm an old guy with arthrirtis in my hands and shoulders and every bit helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most new guns typically ship with a anti-rust grease. This should always be removed prior to shooting with thr parts then being properly lubed (unless they are RF85 parts). It is extremely important with accurate target rifles, perhaps a little less important with “plinker” guns like the Sub2K. Target rifles should have their barrels broken in using procedures such as the Shillen method.

In my humble opinion, I think it is important to always take a new gun apart to clean its major moving parts and to better understand how the gun works. It is also a good idea to inspect all the gun’s moving parts for cracks or burrs or even missing components to address errors caused by the human condition (we all make mistakes). It is better to replace a bad or missing part prior to shooting your new gun and potentially having the “rocket science” go bad, damaging the new gun or worse, lose a finger or eye. I use a good degreaser and occasionally a small sonicator to clean the new parts, then let the parts dry overnight (I use an air compressor now to speed up the process).

When my Sub2K was new, I just sprayed the bolt and ballest with a commercial gun cleaning solvent as well as the barrel and the bolt/ballast tube until the solution seemed clear and the parts looked clean. Then I sprayed it with a commercial light oil Ready to shoot! And shoot it did. I wish its ammo cost what it did pre-Obama!

·
Registered
31 Posts
First stupid question.
I was very disappointed at first, but bought the operating handle rubber sleeve and started wearing a golf glove on my right hand when shooting. Makes pulling the handle a lot easier. Still stiff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First stupid question.
I had the same issue. It’s just really hard to change. I installed a M Carbo 2 finger charging handle with rubber padding. It did the trick. Check out M-Carbo

·
Registered
809 Posts
I guess all subbies are like that. I'm an old man and mine felt impossible for a while. Working it a lot will make it easier after a short while, especially with the cover.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts