Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then your dealer is ripping you off. There is no nice way to say it.

They all pay the same price from the distributors. The distributors all pay the same price from Keltec.

If your dealer is charging more than $400 for this gun, they are gouging you. They know you want it, and they are capitalizing on that, jacking up the price and lining their pockets.

Don't give them your business. There are good dealers out there, one near me is one of them. (No, I am not here advertising for them, hence why I am not mentioning their name or even what town they are in.) Gen 2's, including 9mm Glock models, are $369 all day long, have been for months. They get half a dozen in, they sell out in a week, they know they are in high demand and they don't take advantage of it. That's a good dealer.

I even see people selling used ones online for $450 for a used Gen 1... and up to $550-$600 for used Gen 2's. It's insane.

Anyway, shop around, there are deals out there and there is no reason to pay over $400 for a gun like this... Certainly not the $450-$550 range that seems pretty common.

This reminds me of when Ford brought back the T-Bird a few years back. My dad thought my mom might like one so he went to the dealer. It was $60k. He was like WTF? The car had a $30k MSRP sticker price, and then there was a $30k "Dealer Premium Fee"...

The dealers were so sure that this "limited car" would be such a hit, that people would pay double to get it and they were trying to rape customers and make a hefty profit.

I see no difference between that and dealers charging way over MSRP because they are convinced that it is "rare"...

End of rant. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
The price is dictated by region, competition & availability.

Nobody is getting ripped off if you the buyer agrees to pay the seller the price the two of you agree on. In other words, there is no such thing as price gouging if the buyer has the ability to say NO THANKS, and walk away. Obamacare is an excellent example of actual price gouging, because the buyer has no real alternative... you even get penalized for saying NO THANKS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure they're making as much as you think they are.

MSRP is $500 - $550 and my (small) dealer's base cost is anywhere from $306- $346 depending on the model. I believe my dealer pays shipping too...Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are gouging. They all pay the same price for the guns. If your dealer is charging you $500 for that gun, they are taking advantage of the perceived shortage to make an extra profit.

If you want to support shady dealers that do so, I guess that's your right, but at least b honest and admit what they are doing... Haha

·
Registered
861 Posts
Here's how it works. Dealer buys gun from manufacturer. Manufacturers have a suggested retail price. Dealer is free to ask what he wants. Sometimes if the market is good the buying public is willing to pay more than msrp sometimes way above. The dealer is free to ask ridiculous prices his right. As a buyer it's up to you to do your homework and understand the market for the item, you are free to buy, haggle or just pass.
If a dealer buys a gun that the market has gone soft on he may be forced to sale the gun at a discount, sometimes a heavy discount even below his cost to free up some money to use elsewhere. So if the dealer has a gun you want that has been discounted below his cost are you going to pony up the difference and pay MSRP? No...well how about enough to cover his cost? Why not? Could it be your willing to take advantage of the situation to get the best deal for you?

·
Registered
861 Posts
So when a car dealer charges 20-50% more than other dealers, for the same car... You don't think that's... Odd?
Greedy, speculative, nervy, sure. But he is free to try and you really wouldn't like a system that is set up to restrict his ability to do so. You know what the car is worth to you, move on and deal with one of the other dealers. That greedy dealer may be in an area of affluance. If his market consists of people who have too much money but not enough time, are too lazy to shop or simply don't care...why wouldn't he ask top dollar?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that people can charge whatever they want and it's your fault if you are dumb enough to pay 40% over retail... Haha

I just think it is crazy that people let them get away with it.

Especially when they go to sell it used and they think that their $500 asking price is fair because they paid $550 for it new... To me, it's still $140 more than new retail at a good dealer...

These dealers taking advantage, are really skewing the market into thinking that these things are worth more than they are.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Put yourself in the sellers shoes! Many gunshops come and go and I believe they all want to stay in business! I don't blame them for jacking up the price a bit while they can! Now charging 100 bucks for a PMag like after the CT shooting that is another story!

If you think it costs too much walk away and look elsewhere! Supply and demand and has been going on a long time!

·
Banned
325 Posts
Put yourself in the sellers shoes! Many gunshops come and go and I believe they all want to stay in business! I don't blame them for jacking up the price a bit while they can! Now charging 100 bucks for a PMag like after the CT shooting that is another story!

If you think it costs too much walk away and look elsewhere! Supply and demand and has been going on a long time!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

Ok, you are right. Enjoy your $500+ sub2k I guess? :)
No need to be "dogging" anyone who is willing to pay more than what you think they should. Take this in mind, a firearm is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. Regardless if you agree or not. Please stop trying to provoke a fight on this forum! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
All I can say is that I'd been looking at buying a sub2k for about 5 years now and the only one I came across at MSRP was a G19 at a gun show. I picked it up, then put it back cause I didn't like the grip. But 20 minutes later I figured I'd buy it anyways since they were normally selling for $100-$200 over MSRP. When I went back to that table someone else was already filling out paperwork for it.

I bought a NIB Beretta ver.gen II at a local shop for $450 late last year. Typically the Glock versions were going for $100 more, and the store admitted they'd have priced it for more but the didn't realize they'd bought the Beretta version instead of the Glock. Their loss, my gain.

There's another local shop that posts several guns per day on their facebook page, and they get in a lot of local trades. He's gotten three Sub2ks (two used, one new) and he usually prices them at or below MSRP. They sell out in FIFTEEN MINUTES on average.

Same for the PMR-30 and CMR-30, it's all supply & demand. You don't have to like it, you don't have to buy it. But even if everyone on this board banded together and refused to pay MSRP I doubt it'd put a dent in KT's sales figures.

I've been thru too many ammo panics to know that the value of something can change in a minute.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I won't pay those prices. I have dealers that don't gouge me. I can get one for $369 any time I want...

That was my point. It amazes me that dealers charge $200 more and that some of you folks not only pay it, but defend it. SMH...

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I won't pay the high price either but around here you can't find an S2K and a few folks are willing to pay that high price when they spot one on the shelf!

I still really don't blame the stores around here for charging a bit more as this is not a high volume item and they know within a few days they'll get their price.

I work with a guy who paid like 540 for one and when he told me that he just said " I don't give a XXXt I now have one!"

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guess I got "gouged"

I paid $425.00 for my Gen 2 9mm Glock mag Subby.

Considering the difficultly in finding one, I'm absolutely fine with the price.

OP! Just remember, it's OPP (other people's property). Don't worry about what someone else payed for their property.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh, I won't pay those prices. I have dealers that don't gouge me. I can get one for $369 any time I want...

That was my point. It amazes me that dealers charge $200 more and that some of you folks not only pay it, but defend it. SMH...
Are you a dealer?

Posted earlier:

MSRP is $500 - $550 and my (small) dealer's base cost is anywhere from $306- $346 depending on the model. I believe my dealer pays shipping too...Tom

I guess I don't understand the outrage here. The MSRP is $500. I paid $450 out the door from my gun shop for my G17 Sub 2000. They get two or three in each month (usually 40 cal models) and they're gone within a day or two so they could easily charge more than MSRP if they wanted to (much more for the Glock versions), so where was the gouging?

In your opinion what's an acceptable margin for a gun retailer?

·
Banned
325 Posts

If that is the case, please buy one or more at that price, glock19/23 mag versions please, I will pay you $425 for each to ship it to my ffl. :rolleyes:

Like I said before, stop trying to get a flamming war or getting memembers to fighting among each other here. Maybe your idle time would best be spent more wisely else where. You are on the verge of trolling! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
My local gun store has a sizable inventory, knowledgeable sales staff, a resident gunsmith, additional insurance for an indoor range, and city/county/state taxes to pay, among other expenses. He does this in a small city that is dealing with a downturn in the energy industry. He charges about 10% under MSRP on guns. He did not raise his prices during Obama-scare (that endeared him to many new customers). I patronize his store at every opportunity. I want him to be there and be there for a long time. I sometimes buy online and sometimes at a gun show, but only if the savings are truly substantial or for a one of a kind gun.

He sells the Sub 2000 at less than MSRP. The Sub 2000 is so popular that he has a waiting list. When I decided I wanted a Gen 2 Glock, I got on to that list. It took about 3 months before my name made it to the top. I was happy to pay his price (which was less than KT's MSRP even with the local 10.25% sales tax). I do not begrudge his prices. I enjoy shopping there.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
End of rant. :)
Apparently not. :(

The market varies along with availability in some areas. Anyone can look around online and see what others pay and what is available at what price in a given location. Thanks for your information and opinion. Others can make their own judgements based upon their circumstances.

·
Registered
478 Posts
They all pay the same price from the distributors. The distributors all pay the same price from Keltec.
Either is possible, but both are unlikely. Sales volume counts in business.

Think K-T doesn't cut Davidson's a break, compared to Academy? And in turn,
Davidson's wouldn't give a deal to someone like Bud's Gunshop, for dozens of units, compared to Bubba's Gunshack, for three?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.