IF there was a recoil spring,but there aint

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JFB, May 25, 2008.

1. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    After a discussion in the P32 section concerning the interchangablity of springs between the P32 and P3AT, the ideal of extra power recoil springs was mentioned.  There is an exotic spring design I like, but when I checked a year ago, the size for a recoil spring was not possible.  from their website now, they might have expanded manufacturing ability to make one that would work.  Before I contact them about making one, I would like to have some opinions on what would be needed

The spring type is "flat wire crest wave" and its advantage is a long spring with a very small solid lenght.  also the wave configuration and wire profile can be change.  A HUGE improvement over the traditional wire compression

to me, the technology should be looked into by KT

2. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Re: IF there was a recoil spring,what would you wa

I would want a 16 and 17 pound springs so I could match them to my carry ammo, especially the hot stuff like Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap. I can always switch back to the factory units when shooting range ammo like UMC or Magtech FMJ.

3. EchoKilo

EchoKilo New Member

Jun 24, 2007

I'm not even remotely a gunsmith, so I have no idea about the fine details on the matter. But considering how far my casings are thrown, I would assume that there is plenty of room for a heavier spring. I'd buy one.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Ok the 16# at full recoil, OK...Do you have any feel if the spring should be stronger at the initial travel?

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

I think the P3AT springs are about 12.5 lbs.

From Wolf Gun Springs:
    Based on these, I'd guess about 15 - 17 lbs would cover it.

Maybe, if it doesn't screw up the timing.  Use of stronger springs might speed things up and require extra strength mag springs as well.  

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Ok the 16# at full recoil, OK...Do you have any feel if the spring should be stronger at the initial travel?
    [/quote]

After that first few millimeters, the whole assembly is going to stop when the lock asserts itself anyway. It might reduce some wear and tear on the locking area on top of the barrel and the part of the slide it contacts. I have never had a problem in this area, even with worn stock springs. I suspect there is so much recoil force in the first few millimeters that the no spring (within reason) is going to make a big difference - it is going to be up to the mechanism.

Edited to add: I was thinking the 16# model would be a good match to CorBon DPX with its light 80 gr bullet, as well as less exotic premium ammo like the Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber. The 17# would be helpful with the DoubleTap and Buffalo Bore Gold Dots (and Golden Saber if/when they start loading it), and the CorBon "Traditional" JHP.

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

14.5, 15.5, and 16.5 might be better. Wolff is going to have to do some testing and figure out what works. Getting 16.5 or 17 pound springs in a P-3AT is going to be fun.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

This aint Wolfe, This is just me ;)

And I don't think anyone will get a conventional coil spring any better than what KT has now.

Right now I am not sure I can have a few "prototypes" of one design made by this company. I'm hoping they will run a batch of 100.

Thus I'm only going to ask for one type.

a spring that has 5# when installed and ~17# at full recoil would be just an extra long version of one of their stock sizes

Lets not get hopes too high though

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

I would be very interested in trying such a spring. Even if it is too stiff, it would be worth taking a chance on. I still have a few boxes of Santa Barbara sitting around to try it out with, because I didn't want to spank my little guy with stock springs in place. Count me in.

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

I would like to know the company's website if possible.
    Generally speaking I think that with stiffer recoil springs the chance of limp-wristing would be increased.

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Enhanced recoil springs in a P-3AT

I am not too sure of that. With the stock springs, the slide recoils very fast with hot ammo. The mag springs really have to get that round up and ready quick. If you match the ammo to the spring, it should give similar performance to a stock spring with more moderate loads. Considering the lessened felt recoil, it might actually reduce limpwristing. The only way to tell for sure is to try it.

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I submitted a "request for quote" last night.
    the spring I asked them to make will require two, end to end.

OD .235"
    ID .146"
    total free lenght 2.5"
    total solid lenght only 0.25"
    combined rate 9#/in
    force at 2" (installed) 5#
    force at 0.7" (recoil) 16.7#
    %deflection 24 to 80

I just hope they will be able to make them at a reasonable expendature

13. Re: IF there was a recoil spring,what would you wa

Joe-

Count me in as a supporter with cash for the initial order of 100 springs if they can make them for you.

I am not sure what you consider "reasonable" but I would be happy to throw $20 in the pot to see how they work.

Keep us posted.

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Careful Joe - NAS may try and talk you into letting him distribute said springs and run off to Tahiti with the profits ;D ;D ;D

-Scott

15. Re: IF there was a recoil spring,what would you wa

;)

[​IMG]

Mitch- Who has made enough selling washers he was able to [highlight]RETIRE[/highlight] in Tahiti!

NOT!

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: IF there was a recoil spring, but there aint

:(Bad news,

Just got off the phone

They don't have the equipment to make the spring needed.

17. :'(

Well... I guess we will continue to make do with the free ones! ;)

18. rbsanspree

rbsanspree New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Is the LCP springs heavier or lighter or the same as the p3at? I think the slide is a bit heavier maybe they need a heavier spring? Just some ideas.

19. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Re: IF there was a recoil spring, but there aint

Thanks for your efforts just the same! :)

20. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Count me in too