Ideas to improve slide "grip-a-bility"?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jbabbler, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Like the title says. What, if anything, have you guys done to get a better gripping surface on the slide. My wife loves this gun and shoots it well but has a heck of a time chambering the first round.

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It's all in the technique.

Don't try to pull the slide back.

1. Grasp the slide with left hand, fingers on left side, thumb on right.
    2. Extend left arm, and rotate the gun to left until hand & arm are straightened out and provide the strongest grip.
    3. Keeping finger out of trigger-guard, grasp grip and Push forward on gun with right hand until full slide travel is reached.
    4. Release slide with left hand.

Since the left arm is extended & comfortable straight, you are able to use all the muscles in the left hand to grasp the slide and do nothing else.
    You aren't using some of those same hand and wrest muscles to try to grasp the slide, and pull it back at the same time.

BTW: It will get much easier after the gun is broken in with a couple hundred rounds or so.

BTW2: Some folks have used skate-board tape on the slide. But it's real hard on pockets & holsters!

rc

3. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    My wife couldn't even begin to pull the slide back when the gun was new. After a fluff and buff, shooting about 50 rounds and a clean and lube, she can do it no problem.

4. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I'll try all of that with her but shouldn't I be doing something to the gun? ;)

5. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006

+1 rc
    it's all in the technique, nothing wrong with gun IMO.
    here are some pics.....  http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

6. k9pound

k9pound New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I'll try all of that with her but shouldn't I be doing something to the gun?  ;)
    [/quote]

Nice I was in tears.

There is another technique.

1 hold to muzzle down range with the weapon close to the body
    2 grab the slide with the left hand fingers on the right, palm on the left side. the hand will be over the slide
    3 push the gun forward and pull the left hand back
    4 let the slide move out of your hand muzzle down range.
    5 as always finger out of the trigger guard.

My hands are larger than average and about 3/8" away from the muzzle. Practice this with an empty gun several times.

7. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I'll try all of that with her but shouldn't I be doing something to the gun? ;)
    [/quote]
    After reviewing my post, I knew something like that was coming.

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My left arm is paralyzed but I have no trouble cycling the side. FWIW, my wife carries an XD SC 40 and has no trouble with it, my PF-9, LCP, Or P3AT. Maybe I married Super Woman but I know quite a few women in our church that cannot cycle their husbands' XDs much less carry one. I have no idea but as I said, I have no problems either. My arm is dead but the hand can still the grip of the gun. All I do is lock the arm, grasp, and rack the slides on all my semi-auto pistols.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The detail provided above by RC is basically the same as on corneredcat.com and works great for people that have problems racking the slide.

What I found interesting this weekend in a Utah Concealed Carry class where firearms handling (but not shooting) was part of the class is the number of people that could not rack the slide back and trigger the slide lock at the same time. Seems there is a benefit to not having one on the P3AT after all. ;)

-Scott

10. edd_browne

edd_browne New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    After intensively dealing with this problem for the wife,
    after several attempts I settled on attaching pieces
    of non-skid textured rubber pads (made for shoes)
    using Loctite Extreme Repair glue.

(should come with the p32/p380)

11. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am currently using the Tire Tube as a solution but may stipple the frame a little as well. I shot 50 rounds through it flawlessly last week but when my wife shot it she got stovepipes after the 3rd shot. I'm sure she';; get the hang of it but she won't carry it until she can shoot 2 or 3 mags w/o an issue.

12. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    i used john norrell's flat black moly resin to refinish my slide, and as an added unanticipated benefit, it signifigantly improved my ability to grip the slide. i had a real problem gripping the slide too, not the guns fault, just my girly grip! now it's perfect.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

13. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    VERY COOL ScatMelee! I have been reading over the link you provided and will be placing an order tomorrow. Do you have any pictures of your's?