Idea for a new feature

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by djturnz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. djturnz

djturnz New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    On a motorcycle forum I go to, there is a feature at the top of each thread to turn the thread into a PDF. It makes it really easy and convenient to print out a whole thread. Especially in KTOG it would be nice since there are a lot of step by step instructional threads here. I don't know how hard it is to do, but it would be cool.

2. djturnz

djturnz New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    i GUESS NO ONE ELSE THINKS THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

3. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    DJ, to have this capability, KTOG would need Adobe Acrobat Elements or Adobe Documents Server, IIRC. I suspect both of thse products are very expensive.

I have Acrobat 6.0 Professional on my machine and I think it was $300-$400.

There are some free .pdf writers you could download. One is here. I think it pops up ads while running though - I have never used it myself.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not trying to shoot down your idea. In fact, I think it's great but I know nothing of what would be required in terms of software financial investment. That would be Ray's department.

However, a suggestion comes to mind. While I'm sure the PDF version would be faster and easier, you could just copy and paste pertinent info into a word document. Usually, such instructions are contained within a post or two and do not encompass the entire thread: :-/

5. JerryO

JerryO New Member

Sep 7, 2004

Believe it or not, I don't have 'word'. I think this vintage of sony came with 'word perfect'. OK, it's the same thing.

But what I really wanted to say is if I highlite text, then right click on it, I get an option to print. But I can't quite try it as our only printer is on my wifes computer.

JerryO

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Sounds like you need a network, JerryO! For now, use sneakernet!

Sneakernet is putting it on a CD, DVD, or Thumbdrive (or Floppy, if it is old enough), taking it to the wife's computer, and printing it from there! ;D