Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum but they told me to post it here so here I am. I am new at guns and really enjoying my Kel Tec KSG.I want to buy accessories found this list of KSG accessories. I am just curious are their any other accessories I should buy? :)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would put some sights on it and shoot it several times before doing anything else.

A light is the only other must have item if you are planning on using it for anything serious like home defense. A sling of some kind is a smart idea too.

I do like the extended magazine switch but it's not a must.

Muzzle brakes are basically for looks so I haven't bothered. Plus the add length to a gun that the short length is one of its best features.

A recoil pad might be ok but I like the length of pull as it is.

A vertical grip isn't a must either. There have been some problems with the forend rail breaking on older models. There is a metal rail that can go over it to reinforce the factory rail but that adds to the cost. A simple hand stop on the front of the rail is better IMO.

The best advice for a new ksg shooter is to rack it hard, all the way to the rear. The ejection and feeding happen in the last part of the rear travel of the forend. Be deliberate about it until you get a feel for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It gets really expensive adding features and accessories with this beast. I'd say you should full stop and ask yourself what the POU (Philosophy of Use) of the gun is to you. Mine is a combo Skeet/Home Defense gun, so there's a few accessories that would've been superfluous to my POU. Is yours a pure range toy, a man barbie? Go fullout and make it look badass. A hog-blaster for all day hikes in the woods, day or night? Add as little weight as necessary to get the features you need. Is yours a Bird/Skeet gun (Which this gun is totally down for, in my humble opinion)? Get a choke adapter and a nice red dot or holographic sight. Three gun match shotty? Do whatever it takes to make your reloads easier. Security duty? Add a light.

Muzzle brakes are not a must. They redirect the muzzle blast to the side, which arguably reduces recoil, but definitely increases noise to the shooter's ears. For home defense, the noise is real trouble, because you can blast your eardrums out in close quarters with a muzzle brake. In fact, the opposite may be desired. Some people opt for a suppressor on this platform, because a short weapon like this makes a suppressor possible without absurd length problems.

As for red dots and flashlight mounts, don't go cheap. This shotgun breaks cheap gear with it's ridiculous recoil impulse. I've had stuff literally pop off this gun at the range. To that, feel free to buy the recoil pad that KT makes. The best way to test your gear against recoil is to just run a box of high velocity slugs through it. If there's a problem with your gear, it'll show up then.

Good starting point: A set of BUIS from Magpul or something similar, a handstop, and an aluminium (not plastic) offset mount for a flashlight. There's a dozen decent red dot optics, like the TRS-25 and the Holosun stuff, or you can get something nice like an Eotech or a Trijicon.

For the fancy stuff, check out Hitech Custom, SMT tactical, and BullpupArmory.

There's a lot of good info on this forum, but always filter it against your intended POU.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I 100% dig the ability for more grip. I forget what I used, some sort of self adhesive stuff recommended to me by a member here. Pretty sure it was -

Godagrip.com

Anything else you can add after you verify it functions. Recoil is recoil. I want the longer KT made buttstock pad as it will increase the length of pull for me a bit.

I have decided on the Trijicon RMR for my optic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Trijicon rmr

I have one stacked with my gear for the range today. The only issue is it washes out if you're inside looking out. My range has a roof(great if it's raining but all kinds of loud otherwise)and causes issues with my RMR!

Maybe it's just the model I have cause one of the guys I shoot with has an rmr-type sight on an M&P and it works, I think.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the information. Right now I only go to the range but I plan on going hunting because my friend is taking me. You guys helped me a lot
Here are my honest recommendations:

Muzzle brakes—Skip. There are more than a few options out there, and none of them really do much to mitigate muzzle rise; this IS a 12 ga after all. Plus, if you care about appearance, the snub snout kind of ruins what makes the KSG special (visually). Save your money.

KNS QD socket/take down pin—If you use a single point QD sling, get it. The fit is nice. It's easy to use and feels more secure than the factory take down pin. It replaces the forward pin. You still need to use the factory rear pin.

Kel-Tec extended butt pad—Get it. It's inexpensive, relatively easy to install and soaks up some recoil.

Kel-Tec choke adapter—If you really must give the KSG a snout, this is probably more useful than any of the muzzle brakes out there. If you want to install this, you'll need the barrel nut removal socket tool and use a impact driver (easy off-on in seconds, no struggling with vise and breaker bars).

Aftermarket alloy magazine followers—Only if you've got money burning in your pocket. The factory followers work fine as they are.

Gear Head Works The Beast—This is a muzzle shroud. If you want to add the choke adapter, but would like to make your KSG look like it didn't grow a snout, this is it. It also adds M-Lok slots and QD points (though I wouldn't make use of them, being so close to the muzzle). You CAN NOT use this with a muzzle brake.

Primary Machine Shell Deflector—If your wrist get beat up by ejecting shells, this is very nice to have. The price is on the high side (85?), but it works and is very easy to install. The factory blem version are $10 less when available. Otherwise, wear long sleeves or use a wrist wrap.

DIY—Check your chamber for smoothness. If it didn't come from the factory smooth, polish it with steel wool wrapped cleaning brush/rod attached to power drill. The cheaper low brass shells can get stuck and fail to extract. Polishing the chamber helps. The rod will allow you to reach the chamber without doing full-on disassembly of your KSG.

Kel-Tec Kydex cheek rest—To me, this is a must have for comfort.

Holosun Paralow 503C—Very good relatively low-cost solar assisted red dot with selectable dot or circle-dot reticle and auto mode (auto brightness and auto on-off). 50k hours of claimed battery life. Build quality is very good. Very close to the Aimpoint T1 and T2 micros to the naked eye. It's meant for ARs, but is perfect on the KSG (so is the circle-dot reticle). Comes with a lower 1/3 co-witness riser and a low profile mounting base. Use the riser. The latter is useless on the KSG.

Magpul AFG/RVG—Take your pick. Either are GTG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.