Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Federal .30 Super Carry
I saw this and my first thought was about what Kel-Tec could do with this. I suggest a CMR-30 in this caliber.
Like the 22TCM, there are apparently too many problems with a center-fire CMR. This round would be well suited to the Sub2K platform, though, it looks like to me. But the availability of the round might make it unappealing just like the 22TCM.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It might could happen with the Sub2K if the round becomes popular. I will look for the pistols because the round looks very interesting. Thanks for introducing me to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The round looks very promising, I like the numbers. Might take a little time to get the guns and ammo out in numbers.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I would like to see some cartridge dimensions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There's a much cheaper way - it's called the 7.62x25 Tokarev. The Russkies have been using it for for 90+ years with great effect. The TT-33 and variants like the Yugoslav M57 are famous for their reliability. They and their magazines are also quite inexpensive. It's interesting - when moving the hammer to half cock on a TT-33, it actually locks the sear, trigger, and slide. The half-cock is essentially a multi-function safety. While a bit heavy (all steel) it shoots very well; being very controllable despite the hot round. If someone really wanted to, they could shrink the pistol size and use a polymer frame. A Glock in 7.62x25 Tokarev would be excellent. The biggest complaint is the tiny sights. A semi-talented gunsmith can easily remedy that.

As to ammo, the bottlenecked 7.62x25 Tokarev case feeds more reliably than a straight-walled case. Prvi Partisan makes an excellent JHP round. Finally,an outfit called Craft Holsters makes high-quality, reasonably priced carry holsters.

The .30 Luger is another caliber that the .30 Super Carry duplicates. Tbis round dates back to 1898! It's a real zipper, too - a 93 grain projectile @ 1,200 fps. This is the father of the ubiquitous 9mm round, so it could use the same 9mm magazines used in the hundreds of 9mm pistols on the market.

Bottom line: This new round is just a slight repackaging of an old, proven concept; just another means of separating the ignorant from their $$$.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There's a much cheaper way - it's called the 7.62x25 Tokarev. The Russkies have been using it for for 90+ years with great effect. The TT-33 and variants like the Yugoslav M57 are famous for their reliability. They and their magazines are also quite inexpensive. It's interesting - when moving the hammer to half cock on a TT-33, it actually locks the sear, trigger, and slide. The half-cock is essentially a multi-function safety. While a bit heavy (all steel) it shoots very well; being very controllable despite the hot round. If someone really wanted to, they could shrink the pistol size and use a polymer frame. A Glock in 7.62x25 Tokarev would be excellent. The biggest complaint is the tiny sights. A semi-talented gunsmith can easily remedy that.

As to ammo, the bottle necked 7.62x25 Tokarev case feeds more reliably than a straight-walled case. Prvi Partisan makes an excellent JHP round. Finally,an outfit called Craft Holsters makes high-quality, reasonably priced carry holsters.

The .30 Luger is another caliber that the .30 Super Carry duplicates. Tbis round dates back to 1898! It's a real zipper, too - a 93 grain projectile @ 1,200 fps. This is the father of the ubiquitous 9mm round, so it could use the same 9mm magazines used in the hundreds of 9mm pistols on the market.

Bottom line: This new round is just a slight repackaging of an old, proven concept; just another means of separating the ignorant from their $$$.
Except the 30 luger/mauser and the Tokorov that evolved/was copied from it are bottleneck cartridge. The SC is a straight walled cartridge and I think is an attempt to bridge the performance gap between the 380 and 9mm in guns compatible with 9mm. It's too hot for 380 sized guns.

It really takes nothing away for any other cartridge. It's not like they're going to stop making 380 or 9mm. So more options is good. As they said it is a ground up design of a self defense cartridge using modern bullet designs. Probably not going to see a lot of ball ammo loads. So you get a fairly hot little load with the potential of high capacity guns. WIN-WIN in my opinion.

I would love to see what Keltec could do with this cartridge. What kind of innovative hi-cap pistol, PCC can they come up with? Maybe a P11 replacement in 30SC is in the works, who knows?

Like I said more options and choices are a good thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's actually longer than a 9mm. It should be interesting to see what Keltec and others come up with in this cartridge and what kind of velocities you can get in longer PCC barrels.

380 on left, 9mm on right

·
Registered
94 Posts
All of the articles I have read along with the available drawings showing the dimensions all say the 30Super Carry is 1.169" long which is the same as teh max allowed length for 9mm.

Here they are next to each other
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
905 Posts
W
All of teh articles I have read along with the available drawings showing the dimensions all say the 30Super Carry is 1.169" long which is the same as teh max allowed length for 9mm.

Here they are next to each other
Which means that on a battle field, a person with a 9mm weapon could pick up .30 super ammo and use it single shot, while the .30 super carrier could not use a 9mm round, much like in Vietnam where a 5.56 could be used in an AK by the NVA or VC, but not vice versa.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The problem is that the CMR is built for the .22WMR. The .30 super carry has over twice the max. chamber pressure of the .22WMR. Couple that with the larger case head, and the resulting bolt thrust would require a much larger bolt (3x?) to maintain the blowback action. This would likely result in a rifle weighing in at something like twice the weight of the CMR. Alternatively, Keltec could rework the CMR into a locked breach or roller delayed system to contain the pressure. If they went down this road, Keltec would probably go for 9mm long before the .30 super carry.

In any event the resulting firearm would bear little resemblance to the current CMR-30. Your most likely vendor for a rifle in .30 super carry would be someone like CMMG . . . they love making PCCs in calibers other than 9mm and .40S&W.

Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts