I took the new one for a spin today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jpaul, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    I picked up a blue/OD P-3AT the other day and finally got to try her out today. I did a very good cleaning on it and cleaned up some of the plastic parts as soon as I got it home. Lubed it down good with Miltech and it performed as it should. No hang ups at all.
    The only down side, I don't have the slighest clue where about half my brass landed. I don't know if its gonna be worth reloading for this round if I can't find the brass. Some of it I found a good 20 feet behind me.
    Also, I noticed on the brass I found that all the case mouths were out of round. I could not see any marks on the slide where they would have been hitting. Are they catching on the top of the chamber on the way out?
    Otherwise I am happy with it. When I finish service testing it my wife will be carrying it.
    A few months ago I could not spell Kel Tec and now I have two of them. ;)

2. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Paul,
    I haven't even shot mine yet, and I'm already planning to get another. I look at these little guns and see endless possibilities. I'll get the first one running and If I'm happy with it, I'm getting an OD one as well.

David

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    "D" shaped case mouths are normal

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Probably on the barrel hood.  Some folks who care remedy that by slightly filing/sanding/polishing that sharp 90 degree angle on the lower edge of the barrel hood.  Just slighly round the sharp edge and be careful not to do anything that would affect lockup.  It's referred to as the barrel hood mod.

[​IMG]

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

Really like the Blued/OD look over all the slide grip combinations I've personally seen (including my HC/Gray).

My P3AT brass also flys all over the place. My brother does reloads for me so I am into recovering as much brass as I can. What seems to help a bit is when you find one casing spend a little time in the same area to try to locate others. I'm constantly amazed at how far and short and in just about any direction P3AT brass gets flung. With my Glock all spent brass lands within no more than several feet of each other. Oh well, still love the P3AT even though recovering the brass can be a pain in the &^%   ;D

Take care...

6. YUP- My .380 brass usually lands one parish (county) south of the gun range!

Notice the notch that Ruger cut in the LCP

[​IMG]

and compare the side by side of the LCP with the 3AT

[​IMG]

The brass is liable to hit anythig on the way out of the gun- especially the corner of the frame that Ruger decided to mill out when all the LCP owners started crying.

Look at your frame in that area and you will likely see a ding. You can file that area down and do the hood mod to help some, but the brass you do find will still likely be beat up a bit.

Try some Santa Barbara Mil-Surp! It seems to fly at least an extra 15 - 20 feet!

7. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

I have a blue/OD P3 also. Mine jammed several times on its' first outing so I sent it back to Florida. It's good to hear yours worked perfectly. I guess most do.