Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..not on my gun. But on finding a pocket holster that doesn't add a half inch to the overall width of the gun.

I have an armalaser on my P3AT, and when I first purchased it, I bought a K&D holster through Armalaser. At first, it would always stay with the gun when drawing from the pocket. However, I modified it with a few washers to loosen it up, and I got the newer version of the armalaser, with the recessed logo. Now, it stays in my pocket when withdrawing, and has just enough pressure on the sides to hold the gun in position. It's a beautiful piece, and it works perfectly now.

However, the only thing I do not like about the holster is at the top, it adds 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch of width to the gun. Even when carried in loose jeans, it feels like a very large bulge in my pocket. In fact, it's wider than my P40 at it's largest point. If I take it out of the holster and just put the P3AT in my pocket, it is hardly even noticeable. But we know that just having the gun in the pocket without a holster is unsafe.

So, I have been keeping an eye out for a kydex holster that is already made for a P3 w/ Armalaser. I noticed they have a new one llisted on Armalaser's website, so I called and spoke with Rick about it. He gave me the name of the company that was making it (Stellar Rigs), and told me I could probably get it faster if I ordered directly from them.

So, I did. ANd today it arrived. And, I'm disapointed. Although it appears to be a very nice looking holster, it is not any thinner than the leather K&D holster. Here's some pics I snapped with my cell:

In this pic, both holsters are aimed in the same direction.

You can see how the K&D is thicker at the top, but much, much thinner at the bottom. As opposed to the Stellar holster, which is thin up top, but very large and blocky down toward the bottom.

Here's another pic with the tops of each holster facing each other:

Also, on my lunch break, I messed around with trying to see what happened when I drew my gun from my pocket, using the Stellar Rigs holster. I tried at least 10 times times and either one of two things would happen:

1. The holster would stay on the gun
2. The holster would come off the gun, but fall out of my pocket and onto the floor.

I even tried using my pinky to help push it off, but that didn't really help.

As you can see in this pic, the part of the holster that covers the trigger guard is indented quite a bit. I believe it is indented too much, and that is why it is so hard to remove the gun from it when drawing.

To me, a pocket holster should be three things:

1. It should be durable
2. It should hold the gun in place and cover the trigger guard, but still allow the gun to be withdrawn relatively easy.
3. It should be as thin as possible, but still help to keep the gun from "printing" in your pocket.

Well, at this point, I am ready to throw #1 out the window and build my own holster. If I can make one easily myself, but it wears out quickly, then so be it. As long as it is thin, somewhat durable, and holds the gun in place, I don't care. I'll just make another one.

The K&D holster is great for larger pockets, and I plan on keeping it. However, I really don't have a use for the Stellar RIgs holster, since the K&D one suits my needs MUCH better.

To me, it's silly to buy the thinnest gun you can, and then NOT put it in the thinnest holster you can find.

So, anyone got any suggestions on making a homemade holster?? Or does anyone know of a very thin holster that will fir the P3 w/ Armalaser??

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Re: I think I have given up...

I made a holster for my P3 similar to this one;

http://www.ktog.org/pocketholster.htm

I used a dense black foam material and the leather from an old boot top.

It works pretty well. Hides the shape of the pistol. Adds only an eighth inch or so to the thickness.

When I draw the pistol the holster sometimes comes part way out. BUT it does not ever stay on the gun.

I could care less if it doesn't stay in the pocket. If I am needing the pistol picking up the holster off the floor is the least of my worries.

·
Registered
589 Posts

The Grandfather Oak pocket holster may be the ticket for what you are looking for. Light as a feather and thin as can be. And $15.00 Love mine.

I wish they would reinforce one spot of it though because I've had a few crack in the same spot. They recommend front pocket carry, I carry in rear, which works better for me.

http://www.grandfatheroak.com/

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

I have a Grandfather Oak Pocket Companion for my P-3AT with ArmaLaser.
http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html

Reasons I like it:
1] Very Light
2] Very Thin
3] Does Not Absorb Sweat
4] Stays In Place In Pocket
5] Gun Snaps In Very Positively, yet ...
6] Draws Easily, and ...
7] Holster Stays In Pocket During Draw
8] Will Probably Never Wear Out
9] Not Expensive
10] Needs No Maintenance

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

RAT76 said:
I made a holster for my P3 similar to this one;

http://www.ktog.org/pocketholster.htm

I used a dense black foam material and the leather from an old boot top.

It works pretty well. Hides the shape of the pistol. Adds only an eighth inch or so to the thickness.

When I draw the pistol the holster sometimes comes part way out. BUT it does not ever stay on the gun.

I could care less if it doesn't stay in the pocket. If I am needing the pistol picking up the holster off the floor is the least of my worries.

That's very interesting. At lunch time, I was thinking, I wonder if I could just use some type of foam for the bottom part, and then some thin plastic or something for the sides!

If I can get a Grandfather Oak holster for a P3 w/ armalaser, that would also work quite well.

The trigger block is also a cool idea, except for the fact that there is nothing to keep the gun upright in the pocket.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I think I may try and make my own. If that doesn't work, I'm going to see if grandfather Oak can make me one.

G

·

I have been having second thoughs about my Guru... I keep telling my self and others I love it.........

It is a well made and good looking holster.

It does what I want it to do, except it seems to weigh almost as much as the gun.

I have been thinking of making one my self, but I keep hearing about the nemis, which seems to be a good selection.

I may get the Nemisis for my next 3at...

One of my local FFL's promised me he could get me a new Hard Chrome for under $250. ... So I am holding all my gun cash for now...hoping he will come through for me.

·
Registered
589 Posts

The Nemesis is light, the problem I have is the gun does not go in firmly, just kinda drops in. I could easily see it falling out of my pocket while seated or laying down on the couch, won't happen with a GO.

I agree with Bobo for the reasons to like the GO.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

adamky said:
That's good news. So, I guess that means he sells them, but just doesn't list them on the site?? Or was this a custom order that he did for you??
Yes, he makes them, and no, they are not listed on the site. I ordered mine from the site specifically stateing that I wanted mine for a Kel-Tec P-3AT with ArmaLaser. They are $26 for the P-3AT/ArmaLaser model and $15 for the P-3AT only model.

It took about 10 weeks to get it, but during that time they moved their place of business and that held things up.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Bobo said:
Yes, he makes them, and no, they are not listed on the site. I ordered mine from the site specifically stateing that I wanted mine for a Kel-Tec P-3AT with ArmaLaser. They are $26 for the P-3AT/ArmaLaser model and $15 for the P-3AT only model.
Any chance of a picture...

I have the same issue regarding the overall size of the K & D pocket holster for the Armalaser. It a quality holster and works well for Dockers or other pleated casual pants, but not with Jeans.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just an update, I e-mailed Edward at Stellar Rigs about my problem, and he said if I was not happy with it, he would give me a refund. He said he would rather someone get some use out of it, than just sitting in a drawer, unused. Seems like a good guy. Stellar Rigs seems to have fast shipping and good customer service. I guess the true test will be whether I get a refund in a timely manner.

Oh well, I am just glad he agreed to do that, rather than me having to sell it on ebay.

·
Registered
483 Posts

I made a holster using the instructions in the "holster" section for p11 as a rough guide. I used hard foam, plastic from a 2 liter soda bottle [instead of leather] and contact cement. Cheap, stays in pocket when pistol is drawn and doesn't print the p3AT outline.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

possumgravy said:
I made a holster using the instructions in the "holster" section for p11 as a rough guide. I used hard foam, plastic from a 2 liter soda bottle [instead of leather] and contact cement. Cheap, stays in pocket when pistol is drawn and doesn't print the p3AT outline.
You read my mind. Seriously. That was my exact plan. Thin plastic, foam and some glue/cement. Got any pics of yours??

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

ok, after this post, Kevin contacted me and mentioned something about the leather strap at the throat of the holster. After looking at it more, I realized that removing this would reduce the width by almost 1/4 inch.

So, I did it. Sorry, Kevin. And if someone could please tell me what I need to do to protect the leather underneath, please let me know. Will just regular shoe polish work???

This is now a pretty thin holster. I think it may be wise to offer this option on the standard K&D Armalaser holster.

As it sets now, this holster may fulifill my needs now that I have knocked almost 1/4 inch off of the width.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Update! Got a new holster. Had to modify it a bit to fit my pocket better, but I think this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It's the grandfather oak pocket companion. There was actually a mix up or something and I had to e-mail them to find out my order had been lost, but I wasn't in a hurry, so I asked that they sent it out as soon as they could. I recieved it about a week later.

ANyways, Here is what my leather K&D holster weighs (Note that the top strap is removed):

And here is what the Grandfather Oak Kydex weighs (after modification):

So, it weighs quite a bit less. I actually modified the holster slightly. As you can see in the pic below, I cut some off of the end. I did this because it felt a little too long. When carried in my jeans, it actually pushed the gun more forward than necessary, and made the gun print more. Cutting the end off allowed it to sit more to the side of my leg, which makes it print much less.

I also grinded away some unnecessary material below the trigger guard, and formed a bit of a "hook" on the end of the holster.

Just for ships and giggles, here is what the total package weighs.
This includes 5 rounds of COrbon DPX and 3 rounds of Remington FMJ:

Also, one thing I like about cutting that piece with the rivet off, is that it now allows the bottom of the holster to "expand" and the two little hooks grab the pocket quite well. I also shortened the top "point" because it was a little too long:

Just with some practice drawing, I have yet to have the holster come out of the pocket with the gun. Those two little hooks, combined with the point at the top, just grab the pocket really well. The gun is also held with what I consider just the right amount of tension. Keeps it in the holster, but it releases easily during draw.

Overall, I give this holster a big

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
I have a somewhat different take on the matter. I carry my PF-9 daily with an ArmaLaser attached in my right front pocket and a spare mag in the left front pocket of my jeans. I don't find that the thickness of the holster matters much if you use a SOFT holster, not a hard leather or plastic one. Actually, a moderately thick soft holster hides the outline of the gun better than a hard one does. It's also more comfortable as it keeps me from feeling that I have a rather large, hard and somewhat heavy object in my pocket. (You can I.M. me the jokes if you want to) ;)
Holster: KNJ Pocket Holster (Works with ArmaLaser)
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/KNJPocketHolsterPAGE.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2cmyra
Mag Holder: Desantis Mag Packer
http://www.desantisholster.com/m38.html

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FOr my P3AT, I love this holster. It's a very thin and somewhat flexible kydex.

I will have a PF-9 by the end of the week and will be looking for a holster. It will also have an Armalaser on it. So, I may try one of those for my PF-9. Thanks for the links.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.