Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am newer to the forums, I join because I wanted a small 9mm that I could pocket carry instead of carry my Smith and Wesson sd40ve or my wife's Springfield xd subcompact. I did some googling and came across the kel-tec PF-9 and I like the way it look and the size of it. I started to dig a little more and found out that it seems like its either perfect or junk and got turned off.

I have a friend that let me borrow his and take it the the range. I loved it, it didn't have a single issue. I was shooting midwest ammo 124 grain ammo(its some reloaded company form ohio) and was very impressed with the gun giving all the bad rap it gets.

The same friend is selling it and he wants 180 for it, but i don't know if i should spend that much or just go buy a new one for just a little more. He got it used and neither of use know how many rounds it has had put though it, and it also has the clip installed and he doesn't have the normal pins to take it off.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If it looks and shoots okay, I think it is a good price. No need to take the clip off. It can be handy for use w/o a holster and won't interfere with most holsters (will fit inside or slip over the outside of most). If you want to remove it you can just put the Chicago mounting screws back in. Many feel they are superior to the original plastic pins.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking I would do for the clip, but my biggest concern is the round count I know the Pf-9 has a service life of about 5000 rounds. I don't know how I feel about spending 180 and go to the range or for god shakes need it and it break. I looked it over and everything looks fine just a little old and used so I don't know.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's a good price. If it was local to me, I would buy it. You can check street prices on www.gunbroker.com for comparisons. The clip is about $12, any extra mags are around $20 or so. That "service life" is not a concern, unless you are using it as a competitive shooter.
The PF9 is my primary carry piece. If it was such a bad design, why did Ruger copy it? Actually, you will have to be careful about one thing. Once you get the KelTec bug, you end up spending more on their other offerings. I only have a mild case, just four.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could see myself owning a couple of them. I do like the look, feel and they seem to point really natural for me.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The price seems right, and for a used pistol, obviously shoots fine. The only concern is that Kel Tecs warranty only applies to the original owner, so if breakage and repair are a concern, and the price differential is not that great, a new pistol might be worth the investment just for the warranty. If you feel competent to do minor repairs should they be needed, get parts etc, then go ahead with the used gun. I would not worry about the round count life. It is not really meant for much range time anyway, and an occasional trip to the range to verify working, keep your hand in, and good regular cleaning and lube will likely keep this gun running for a long time yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the "problem areas" to look for? I still have it so i can go over it to look for any damage or unsual wear?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Check with magnification for cracks...coming vertically up from slide stop notch on slide, and on aluminum frame block, starting around holes for assembly pin.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
In addition, check the frame rails for severe peening or damage, There will be some wear, but should not be excessive. Also, check to see that is not excessive movement of the barrel when it is locked into battery (slide forward, barrel locked into ejection port. Watch where ejected cases go. Should be tossed away some distance. If just falling out really close by, might indicate need for a new recoil spring set. Otherwise, if no problems with the things mentioned by Steve912, it should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Watch where ejected cases go. Should be tossed away some distance. If just falling out really close by, might indicate need for a new recoil spring set.
Actually, Jim, normal recoil springs will allow the extractor/ejector interaction to throw the empty cases 6 to 12 feet on average. Weak springs will allow the slide to slam back hard enough to launch them into the next county. Poor ejection where the cases just fall to the side is usually the result of too stiff recoil springs, a bad extractor, or damaged/missing ejector.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Actually, Jim, normal recoil springs will allow the extractor/ejector interaction to throw the empty cases 6 to 12 feet on average. Weak springs will allow the slide to slam back hard enough to launch them into the next county. Poor ejection where the cases just fall to the side is usually the result of too stiff recoil springs, a bad extractor, or damaged/missing ejector.

Oops, you are right Phil. Obviously a brain fart here, getting it backwards. I really do know better, at least most of the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help, I gave it a good look over last night everything looks fine. I didn't see any cracks or anything out of place. I couldn't take the trigger frame out. The back pin would not move and since I don't own it yet I didn't want to try to hard and break it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dude if you don't get that gun, send me his info. I'd be on that like the look of disappointment on a cat lady's face at a, um, I don't know where to go from there. Anyway, just get the gun and post pics!

Edit: if WPhil thinks it's a good price, it's a good price. He has forgotten more about dealing than most of us will ever learn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to call a LGS today and see their price on a new one. I think they have them for cheap. They are normal 40 dollars lower then everybody in town. If they are then I'll be buying a new one, if not then Ill be picking up my friends.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the help, I gave it a good look over last night everything looks fine. I didn't see any cracks or anything out of place. I couldn't take the trigger frame out. The back pin would not move and since I don't own it yet I didn't want to try to hard and break it.
If you do buy it, don't press out the small metal pin, back near the hammer. It's the hammer block pin, leave it be. If you want to pull receiver out, the fatter pin, higher on grip, is the third receiver retainer--along with the two metal pins that are holding the clip on. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts