Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to firearms but I'm pretty certain that's not supposed to happen :(

This happened just today after an extended dry firing session (with snap caps of course!). The total round count for me was a little less than 300, but I've been dry firing pretty extensively and the gun was used when I bought it so no idea how much the previous owner shot it. It didn't seem like it had been shot a whole lot though.

Unfortunately since it was bought used I don't think Kel-tec will do any work on it based on what I've read on these forums. Shame, since all the dry firing was just making the trigger noticeably nicer. Bit of a newb question but how dangerous is it exactly to shoot it in this condition?
Hand Gesture Finger Gadget Wood
Gesture Wood Finger Office equipment Beige

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I'm fairly new to firearms but I'm pretty certain that's not supposed to happen :(

This happened just today after an extended dry firing session (with snap caps of course!). The total round count for me was a little less than 300, but I've been dry firing pretty extensively and the gun was used when I bought it so no idea how much the previous owner shot it. It didn't seem like it had been shot a whole lot though.

Unfortunately since it was bought used I don't think Kel-tec will do any work on it based on what I've read on these forums. Shame, since all the dry firing was just making the trigger noticeably nicer. Bit of a newb question but how dangerous is it exactly to shoot it in this condition?
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that, yes the firing pin is broke and, yes, it's your fault.

The Kel Tec PF9 uses a firing-pin retaining mechanism which can be damaged if you dry-fire without using a snap-cap. These Kel Tec handguns are among the few to still need a snap cap to dry-fire. Most modern guns do not. These do. I don't think it's in the Owner's Manual but it has been reported here on this, and other, forums. KT definitely recommends you use a snap-cap.

Fortunately, it will only cost you a few bucks and a little time to fix it. Order a replacement firing-pin from Kel Tec.

$2.50 + S&H

There are tutorials and videos online to walk you through replacing it, but the short version is, you remove the rear-sight. The button-head screw (part 183) both retains the rear sight and fits into a notch/channel on the firing-pin (which is now broken off). Remove screw. Be careful not to lose the firing-pin spring. If you accidentally launch it into a corner you might be ordering one of those from Kel Tec too. Remove the busted pin. Reassemble. Some people like to put a dab of blue thread locker on the button-head but I didn't bother and never had a problem with it backing out.

Font Parallel Slope Circle Auto part

The biggest danger which you might face is the possibility that slamming the rear notch of the fring-pin into the button-head screw has peened the threads on the screw and you might not be able to get it out or it might be exceptionally difficult.

Might be a good idea to buy another button-head screw (or two) just in case the threads on the one are borked.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: AbelianMonoid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that, yes the firing pin is broke and, yes, it's your fault.

The Kel Tec PF9 uses a firing-pin retaining mechanism which can be damaged if you dry-fire without using a snap-cap. These Kel Tec handguns are among the few to still need a snap cap to dry-fire. Most modern guns do not. These do. I don't think it's in the Owner's Manual but it has been reported here on this, and other, forums. KT definitely recommends you use a snap-cap.
Thing is, after discovering this forum, I've been very careful to ONLY dry fire with snap caps. Seems like even that wasn't enough sadly. The odd thing is that it seems the back of the firing pin is still being retained by the screw, so it must have broken near the front which is odd since I have read that the part where the screw rides in is the common failure point.

There are tutorials and videos online to walk you through replacing it, but the short version is, you remove the rear-sight. The button-head screw (part 183) both retains the rear sight and fits into a notch/channel on the firing-pin (which is now broken off). Remove screw. Be careful not to lose the firing-pin spring. If you accidentally launch it into a corner you might be ordering one of those from Kel Tec too. Remove the busted pin. Reassemble. Some people like to put a dab of blue thread locker on the button-head but I didn't bother and never had a problem with it backing out.
Now this is new information for me. Are you sure this isn't for the P11 instead? I seem to recall that it was the P11 and not the PF9 which has the rear sight retaining screw play a part in retaining the firing pin as well. From my memory the firing pin on the PF-9 is only held in place by the extractor screw.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thing is, after discovering this forum, I've been very careful to ONLY dry fire with snap caps. Seems like even that wasn't enough sadly. The odd thing is that it seems the back of the firing pin is still being retained by the screw, so it must have broken near the front which is odd since I have read that the part where the screw rides in is the common failure point.

Now this is new information for me. Are you sure this isn't for the P11 instead? I seem to recall that it was the P11 and not the PF9 which has the rear sight retaining screw play a part in retaining the firing pin as well. From my memory the firing pin on the PF-9 is only held in place by the extractor screw.
Your exactly right.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Pardon. Yes, I had those two switched around. The issue is still basically the same. The threads of the screw can peen and the firing pin can break.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just received a new firing pin, spring, and extractor screw from keltec. Installation pics will be coming shortly. I also managed to remove the old firing pin but had a hard time getting it out of the firing pin channel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts