I ordered a Crimson Trace today!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by abuck50, Aug 24, 2008.

1. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I am a new Kel-Tec owner. I took it to the range yesterday after cleaning and lubing it. My first mag at 25 feet made me laugh! only 2 shots hit paper! I moved it up to 20 feet for the second mag. I then shot a nice 6 inch group about 4 inches above the bullseye! The pistol performed nicely with only one fte after the about 50 rounds. I got to the point where I hit paper most of the time. I couldn't stand not hitting the bullseye at least once so I got out my Ruger Blackhawk and hit it twice out of 6 rounds! That is real good for me. LOL. I ordered a Crimson Trace laser site today from Cabelas. I will let you guys know how it works next week.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

3. abuck50

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Those are some nice groups! I can't wait to try it. I hope I get similar results!

4. Badman400

Badman400 Well-Known Member

I just received and installed the LG 430 on my P3AT. The install was easy and done in 5 minutes or so.

I sighted mine by the iron sights, (a small amount of windage is all it took), but haven't been to the range yet.

The grip works well as far as activation. Like some have said, a little difference in feel but you get used to it almost immediately.

I tried out the free Galco holster (I carry front pocket) that came with it, but chose to stick with my Elite Survival Systems pocket holster. It feels more comfortable to me and prints less.

Last night I stepped out onto the rear deck and used my storage building to check for visibility. The building is about 100 ft away, and the dot was very bright and clear.

I can see where this would aid a lot in shooting the little KT more accurately. If it stands the test of time, it will be one of the best accessories I have acquired. :cool:

5. abuck50

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have installed mine also! It was very easy. It still fits my pocket holster also. I had to remove a few thread on my in the pants holster but it works great in it now also. I haven't made it to the range yet but have practiced with snap caps. I will probably save lots of ammo that way and can practice in the house. It has got me to pay more attention to the way I was pulling the trigger. Can't wait to get to the range though.

6. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Or the "X" ring?

Well, you know the answer.... ::) :cool: ;)

Congratulations on the CT. Post a pic. (Hint, Hint).

7. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i think its time for me to order one!!!!! wheres the best deal at???? anybody found them cheaper than $175

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just a reminder, a different laser product that has been around for a long time and is really nice for the P3AT (and other KTs) is the www.armalaser.com. Rick has been very good to this board and many believe his product has some benefits over the CT. I have handled many lasers from Rick and am extremely impressed. I have not handled any CT lasers so I can't speak from first hand experience about them.

-Scott

9. Badman400

Badman400 Well-Known Member

I got mine for $145.95 from Elite Tactical Supply here on this forum in the Trading Post section.

I got the last one he had at the time, don't know if he'll be getting any more. :cool:

10. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Considering what this pistol was designed for, is it really necessary to get this for it? After all, isn't it for up close 'work'?

11. Zectron2348

Zectron2348 New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    With all due respect to those putting lasers on , I was wondering the same thing.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you have the time to bring the weapon up to full ready and aim you might be right that a laser might not help much for the distances that most SD shootings are.  

However things are not range perfect in self defense shootings.  You might be shooting from the hip, from the ground, at an awkward angle, etc.  Your target will be moving and you might be too.  It might be too dark to see your sites.  Under these circumstances $150 will save your life.  I can maybe/guess/point shoot and hit my target some of the time under these circustances without a laser.  With the laser if that dot is on the target when I pull the trigger I will hit the target 100% of the time.  If someone is dragging my girls down the hallway I'd sure want that extra security when taking the shot.

The added confidence that a laser gives you (or another person that you hand your weapon off to that is not as proficient at it) AND the possible de-escalation factor of having a red dot on BGs chest are two more huge pluses.  I'd say that any self defense weapon without a laser is ok but severely missing a very important and relatively inexpensive component.  There are many times when you will only be able to make "that" shot for sure if you have a laser and I cannot see any drawback to having it (assuming you train with and without it so you don't rely solely on it.)  So in my mind the question is not "what good is it?" but rather "why doesn't everyone have one?"

-Scott

13. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    +1! Eloquently said!

I really like my laser a lot!!!

Here's why:
    1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). Not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

To those detractors that haven't actually tried it, all I can say is - "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it"!

Bobo

14. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Only complaint I had on the CT I put on my Dad's S&W Snubbie is I couldn't see the dot in bright sunlight.

15. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    My ArmaLaser is very bright on light objects in sunlight, the darker the object the dimmer the dot in any light. In bright sunlight the iron sights are still there, so it's usually not a big issue.

Bobo

16. abuck50

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    [[​IMG]

This is a photo of my P3AT with a CT installed. As you can see the CT does not make the P3AT any harder to conceal. It does cut my aim time in half and doubles my accuracy!

I take concealed carry seriously. My ex-wife got mixed up with some bad people. One of them threatened my son and I. This criminal has shot people before and has spent time in prison for the shootings and for stabbing another person. I was advised by my friends in law enforcement to buy a small gun that I could carry all the time. I was planning on paying about $600 on a carry gun. The gun dealer I went to showed me the Kel Tec and I bought it. I still don't have $600 dollars invested even with holsters!

God forbid, someday my life and the life of my 11 year old son may depend on me getting off some quick & accurate shots. I want to stack the odds in my favor as much as I can. I will be looking for a P40 or P11 soon as winter nears.

17. Zectron2348

Zectron2348 New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Have had two family members with first hand experience in a true to life real gunfight.

Laser is nice, but don't rely on it too much, .....

Real life gunfights tend to be fast, furious, and over in seconds with very little time to even use iron sights. Learn to point shoot and practice, ... practice, ..... practice!

18. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I don't think a laser would help at all. Folks, coming from a military background, when the shooting starts, NOTHING make sense.

1968, in the DMZ with the USMC. Shooting it out with NVA troopers (Them bastards were tough). Bullets flying all around - it was all a blur. No sh$t! Much like when you're in an auto wreck - you can't remember a thing.

Except this: After it was over, you're shaking like a leaf and thirsty as hell. Amazing how wonderful water taste after a firefight. Just amazing! Better than a cold beer.

Forget the laser sight.

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Respecting your experience but not your logic. When the shtf you don't know what is going to help. It is not hard at all to imagine the real world scenario where the laser MIGHT help. I have yet to come up with the one where it will hurt. I just can't imagine giving yourself every possible advantage and "forgetting the laser" seems to be "forgetting" an advantage. :-/

There may be a variety of reasons why someone might not want a laser or choose not to put one on their weapon (cost does come to mind but even then it is not really that much in the grand scheme of things.) But "when the shooting starts, NOTHING makes sense" doesn't seem to me to be a very good one.

-Scott

20. Bobo

Jun 13, 2005
    Most of us here are not considering using a laser in a military setting. For that matter who would want a P-3AT as your only weapon in the DMZ with all hell breaking loose? Not me!! So should we forget the P-3ATs also?

Most of us have P-3ATs for possible problems at home, at the ATM, while getting gas, walking through a dark parking lot, a road rage incident, etc. These are times a laser may also be advantageous. As adamsesq suggested, it certainly won't hurt.

Bobo