Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERY SINGLE MALFUNCTION that I have EVER had with my P11 has been with this stupid 12-round magazine. My standard 10-rounders? FLAWLESS! ... even after I lopped off the mag follower legs to eliminate the rattle problem. But this 12-rounder has been nothing but trouble. When I first got it, the only two times the slide wouldn't lock back was with the 12. When my slide stop broke, it was with the 12. Today, two nosedive FTF's halfway through the mag, AGAIN with the 12. But my 10's? Still never had a problem, even when loaded up with 11 rounds. I don't even trust this stupid mag enough to mess with it at the range anymore, much less for CC'ing. I love my lil' P11 to pieces, but this stupid 12-rounder is going into the deepest, darkest corner of my gun closet - I'd feel bad trading it in or even giving it away because it would just curse someone else with its issues.

Anyone else equally fed up with their P11's 12-round magazine(s)? I'm sure a new spring might at least HELP the thing, but I've heard enough in the past from others having issues with their 12's that I think there's some kind of weird issue with the mag design itself - either the follower or the spring design, not sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a couple nose dives with my 12 rounder. I contacted Kel Tec wanting to buy the 10 round follower and spring. They just sent them to me for free. Great service. Emailed them on a monday and had them by thursday of the same week.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
My 12 rounds mags are just fine. Being the same size tube, they make the 10 rounders obsolete. Send it back to KT and they'll replace it.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pretty sure mine's mostly just worn out (either the mag spring and/or the follower), as most of the time it won't even lock the slide back if I rack the slide manually with the 12 in place and empty, but with the 10's it works perfectly. I think I'd only sent my 12 back to Kel-Tec if they were willing to just exchange it for another 10-rounder.

I just don't have much faith in the 12's at this point. Two extra rounds aren't worth it ... well, ONE extra round, really, since I can fit 11 in the 10-rounders. :)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
10 rounds is all you need anyway.

I got by quite well for 50+ years with 7 in a 1911, 6 in a Model 19, and 5 in a Chiefs Special at various times.. :D

rc

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 12 rounders are fine:) I agree with rcmodel that 10 rounds is enough. But I figure if they make a mag that is the same size but more bullets. then why not:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same here.

Almost every problem I've had, nose-diving fail-to-feed jams, broken slide-stops, have all been with the 12 rounders.

I won't even use them at the range anymore.

The 10 rounders on the other hand have been flawless with no problems at all.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, at least on the bright side, I already have a spare 10-rounder. So, I have one with a mag base extension and one with a flush-fit base, so I can switch from one to the other if necessary to suit my concealment needs. :)

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why only 10? Probably for the same reason that Ruger makes the LC9, SR9(c), and P345 with all those goofy and redundant safety features like a magazine disconnect, manual safety, loaded chamber indicator, etc. Reason? So they can sell in more states like California that have certain requirements or place specific limitations upon firearms available there, with 10-round magazines being a pretty common theme. That, and I think the P11 was introduced around the time of the Assault Weapons Ban era, where 10 rounds were the max all across the board from ANY manufacturer in the US, so that probably factored into it.

Given the fact that more people seem to have trouble with the 12-rounders than the 10's seems to me like the 12-rounders were something either Kel-Tec and/or Mec-Gar came up with as an afterthought, like "Hey, guys! Check it out! We can actually squeeze 12 rounds in here!" After all, they did/do sell mag adapters so you can use the S&W 6906 magazines, which are also 12-rounders but are a tad longer, as well as the S&W 5906 magazines which are 15-rounders and significantly longer ... but the problem with those (at least with the S&W59's) is that those mags usually require Wolff extra power springs to feed reliably because of the shorter stroke/faster slide action of the P11.

Just a theory, it might be that the 12-rounders are especially vulnerable to spring wear either due to the short action of the P11. That, or perhaps because they compress so tight when you have that 12th round squeezed in there it might be over-stressing the mag spring and causing it to soften up a lot faster than the 10-rounders, which have some spare room left in factory form (because of the mag follower legs which limit how far you can compress the spring).

Whatever the case ... meh. Stickin' with the 10's in my P11 exclusively from now on. If I feel I need more capacity than 10+1, I'll just carry my SW9VE.

·
Registered
84 Posts
10+1=11.......
We have a winner!

Besides 12 + 1 = 13 and although I am not superstitious. why take the chance. That and I have the S&W Model 59 15 + 1.

:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Probably because some states don't allow any more then 10 rounds in a mag. free states do allow higher round count magazines
I only choose to visit and spend my money in free states...usually the ones that have full ccp reciprocity with Texas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
12-rounders have been perfect in my P-11 with 124-gr mild practice loads, 115-gr self defense loads, and the occasional expensive factory 124-gr +P self-defense proof shots. What my P-11 seems not to like is cartridge overall length greater than 1.1" with HP projectiles. It therefore can be finicky feeding Speer Gold Dot factory loads which measure 1.125-ish. That seems no different between the 10-round and 12-round magazines, or 15-round S&W 59xx magazines for that matter.

I have, oh, a thousand or fifteen hundred rounds down the pipe. Well broken in. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some people seem to have good luck with the 12s and there are also a lot of problems reported with them.

On the other hand I have yet to see anyone reporting problems with the 10 rounders.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got around to finding a program to convert the video files from my digicam into a format that I could actually edit and then post up. Here's the one and only time my P11 has had a serious malfunction, and it was with a 12-round magazine:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU8Ard-HJkw[/ame]

If I dig around a bit, I may or may not have footage of one other time when my P11 has locked the slide back prematurely, again with the 12-round magazine. The other weekend when I had two or three nose-dive jams with the 12-round magazine, unfortunately I didn't have any video rolling at the time. Regardless, the 12-rounder is sooooooo not getting any more love from me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
im in between i filed off the feet on my 10 rounder and cut off one twist in the spring and presto 11 round mag works just fine gives my 11+1 twice the fire power of a revolver

1 - 20 of 23 Posts