Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My P3AT had problems when I bought it. After two trips to the factory, and paying extra to Parkerize it.... it finally worked great.

And then like a moron I sold it for $100 to help pay for a couple Glocks.

Now I carry a G27 daily..... but boy do I miss my pocket pistol.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Glocks.... love them! - but I certainly can't put one in my back pocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think it would be worth it to buy another one? Are they still having problems straight from the factory?

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Thats up to you. ;D
My P3AT has been perfect from day one. ;D ;D
Straight from the factory. :D
Have lost track of # of trips to the range. ???
Rounds fired, hundreds. :eek:
It is great for me, however maybe not for everyone.
It does have a healthy kick to it when shooting and many people seem to limp wrist.
If you do buy one and then want to sell it for $100
let me know.
There is a P3AT waiting for you at your local gun shop. 8)

·
Registered
840 Posts
The percentage of problem guns from the factory as opposed to ones that have no problems is the question. It's like buying a car a lemon in how many non lemons? If you buy one factory fresh and have problems again play the lottery......you might win!!!!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
They are really putting out some good ones these days. I would stay away from the Parked ones--They Park the INSIDE of the barrel too, and this causes some velocity loss.

Stick with the blue or chrome models.

Packer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
I would stay away from the Parked ones--They Park the INSIDE of the barrel too, and this causes some velocity loss.

That's interesting. I wonder if that explains something I noticed with mine.

At an outdoor range where I can see where the bullet hits the ground after being shot, I noticed the P3AT only seemed to launch the bullet about 20 yards before it hit the ground. Granted - after it hit the ground it skipped along the ground for an additional 50 yards or so before I didn't see dirt being kicked up from skipping.

In reality that probably is more than enough - afterall legal justification only allows for half of that usually - but at the time it had me worried about velocity issues with what I thought was the result of the extremely short barrel and the relatively anemic .380 round (relatively being the key word - as it's still enough to do serious damage).

It did bother me. I actually got rid of all of my guns at the same time and switched to .40 for all of my defensive handguns because of similar concerns.

I didn't consider at the time though how convenient it really was to be able to shove a pistol in your pocket.

I may try the P3AT lottery again soon. I have a couple other pocket pistols I'm keeping in mind too.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
SFLA said:
Think it would be worth it to buy another one?  Are they still having problems straight from the factory?
I miss mine too. :( And it's only been gone two days. Bought it two days ago and after a field strip and lube, took it to the range. FTF's, FTE's, jams. I couldn't get through a single mag. I would normally troubleshoot myself, but felt that this time it may need more than I could give it. So I called KT and sent it in.

I have 5 other KT's and am an avid KT fan, but I'm envious of folks like Raybsc who got a perfect P3AT right from the git.

On the other hand, KT's CS is second to none, and I fully expect it to come back fluffed and buffed to perfection and working like it was meant to. As soon as it proves itself reliable, it'll replace the P-32 as my CCW.

It's not like I don't have a "spare" while it's in the shop. 8)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
There HAS been a string of problems lately where the recoil springs bust out the front of the slide.

Nobody knows what SNs might have the problem, so you would be taking your chances. As Always though--It's IMPOSSIBLE to buy a lemon when it comes with a lifetime warranty. If it ain't right, KT will make it so.

Packer.

G

·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  There HAS been a string of problems lately where the recoil springs bust out the front of the slide.

Nobody knows what SNs might have the problem, so you would be taking your chances. As Always though--It's IMPOSSIBLE to buy a lemon when it comes with a lifetime warranty. If it ain't right, KT will make it so.

Packer.

I blame it on "global warming". These guns are getting hot in interstate shipping and therefore are loosing their hardness-can't be anything else ::)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
SFLA said:
That's interesting.  I wonder if that explains something I noticed with mine.

At an outdoor range where I can see where the bullet hits the ground after being shot, I noticed the P3AT only seemed to launch the bullet about 20 yards before it hit the ground.
If the bullet hit the ground 20 yards in front of you, that is where you had it pointed when it went off.
No amount of velocity loss from Parkerizing, if there even is any, could cause that.

.380 Bullet drop at 100 yards with a 950 FPS muzzle velocity is less then two feet.

Even if you somehow cut the muzzle velocity 300 FPS, it's still less then 3 feet.

rcmodel

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
SFLA: If you are shooting at a target at about the level of the vital area of a man and your bullet hits the ground about 20 yards out either you are shooting at a downward angle or your shooting technique is at fault. No normal ammunition in any normal gun, parked or not, would perform like that if the gun were held approximately level.

If the gun is being held approximately level, I suggest that you review the posts by Two Pistol Packer who has explained very clearly the best technique to use with these little KT pistols.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:

Packer.

Packer is 100% correct.

Had mine in for repair last week due to FTE. Tina notice the front of my slide was going to soon be an issue. Replaced it and the barrel on her own. They will make it right for you. Best customer service, anywhere.

G

·
jocko said:
I blame it on "global warming". These guns are getting hot in interstate shipping and therefore are loosing their hardness-can't be anything else ::)
Global warming is Al Gore's fault! ;D ;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.