Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It hasn't been that long since Fiocchi 73 gr was 12.99 or so a box. I really miss that. During those days mine and my wife's P32s were range toys in addition to the carry purposes they serve. I'm sure they weren't built to be range toys but we would put box after box through. Nowadays we still shoot them enough to stay proficient but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I agree. Bought mine in the middle of this most recent ammo-pocalypse and have been lucky to find ammo when I can. Best score to date was an old box at a LGS that came in on a trade, $15 for a box of some PPU. sgammo.com has had them on and off for the last 6 months, oops nope I lied... quick check has them out of stock....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the ammo companies are killing the house that laid the golden egg. Us old timers built the shooting and hunting industries. Now the ammo companies will not expand. No reason too. So many new shooters willing to pay $ 2.00 a shot. MD

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Stop manufacturing ammo. Let the supplies of reloading components, powder & primers at least, build up. Then go back to manufacturing ammo.

JMNSHO & YMMV of course.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
found some .32 acp for $39.00

the politics / Ideology / theories no longer matter to me, I just want to get to shoot more and spend less. All the rest of it’s just details…

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Last I've seen, .32 ACP (if you can find it AT ALL) goes for something like $32 per box of 50 locally.

I don't think it's so much an issue of ammo being choked off by any conspiracy of any sort; rather, ammo manufacturers are focusing on calibers that sell in WAY larger quantities - namely 9mm and 5.56/.223, followed by .380 ACP, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W. Rounds that are far less popular in the USA like the .32 ACP are kind of a "we'll make a little bit on the side if we have some time to spare" priority because they don't sell a whole lot of it, even when an ammo-buying craze isn't still in effect. I love my little P32, as do a lot of folks, and there's a handful of other guns like the Beretta Tomcat and such that shoot the same cartridge, but let's face it, .32 ACP isn't exactly a mainstream caliber anymore, even in other countries. I mean, stuff like 7.62 Nagant and .32 S&W Long aren't exactly flying off the shelves during non-panic-buying days, so why would they put much (if ANY) effort into cranking out oddball/obscure calibers when they can sell orders of other calibers way faster than they can even fill those orders?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is an interesting situation. I don't suspect any conspiracy, either. It's true that ammo manufacturers sell a lot more 9mm than, say,, .32 ACP. If the wholesale prices are mirroring retail prices, though, they make more money >per round< on the .32 ACP. That's true in times of scarcity or normally. So, if they can't make all they'd like (shortage of materials, labor, etc), then they'd make a higher profit producing oddball stuff.
But, this ignores the time needed to shut down a line to retool for another caliber.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall to see how companies are making decisions week to week.
In the aggregate, I'd think many companies will be more profitable long term if a larger number of calibers remain popular. 9mm and .22 are high volume commodities with pretty stiff price competition and lower margins in normal times. The ammo industry as a whole benefits by having folks continue to shoot the oddball stuff, even if overhead costs to make, move, stock, and sell it are higher per box. When that's not true for a particular type, it'll simply no longer be made. As long as a type remains in somebody's catalog, you can bet that they are finding it profitable to produce. That's the silver lining of the higher relative per-round price of, say, .32 ACP: paying that premium helps induce ammo companies to continue to make it, stores to stock it etc.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I never understood why .32ACP was more expensive to make when in fact it uses less raw materials to produce...smaller bullet and case, less powder...once you get the dies and machinery setup, you would think it would be a lower cost-per-round to manufacture...

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I never understood why .32ACP was more expensive to make when in fact it uses less raw materials to produce...smaller bullet and case, less powder...once you get the dies and machinery setup, you would think it would be a lower cost-per-round to manufacture...
In short ... it's supply and demand. It's not as common of a caliber, and ammo companies feel it necessary to charge more to make it worth their while to do all of that aforementioned retooling of their production lines from whatever more popular caliber(s) they produce. It's not strictly about the company's actual cost-to-produce-per-round. After all, I can't imagine there's all that big of a difference in actual production cost between, say, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, and .44 Special, but there's always a pretty huge price difference between the three when you go to buy a box or two. It's a culmination of several factors that determine pricing before it even gets to the retailer, and materials cost isn't necessarily the biggest.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Lately I've been buying from Norma directly and the ammo has performed well. It was 27.99 last time purchased. Plus free shipping for orders over 150.00.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Before the panic I was getting Fiocchi for $15-$16 a box although it wasn’t hard to find it as high as $30 a box. Last order I placed in the fall was for four boxes of Fiocchi 73 gr. fmj from PSA for $30 a box. Needed a few small AR parts so helped justify shipping costs. One other place had it in stock for the same price, everyone else was at least $10 more. Some place I’ve never dealt with called Ammo Freedom has Fiocchi for $27 a box in stock.

Never ran a ton of ammo thru my P-32 but started to run thru more when I got a surplus Beretta 81.
I do see PMC and S&B for 10 to 15 cents cheaper but I’ll pay more for Fiocchi. Magtec shoots closer to POI than anything else in my P-32 but it’s more than Fiocchi.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Not to hyjack a thread but the caliber I’m most pissed about is the sanctions on russian ammo. My 7.62x39 collection is starving! I’m itching to shoot my long guns that run this… I used to could afford
to shoot that caliber all day… now I feel like the creedmore guys did couple years ago.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Because they can. They set prices by what people are willing to pay.

Most people with .32 ACP guns are not shooters, they buy 1 box of ammo and it lasts them 5 years or more. That's the reality. People on a site like this are obviously different, but in the minority of the big picture. So the manufacturers can charge more because the typical .32 guy NEEDS 1 box of ammo, and doesn't much care what it costs because he probably won't be buying another one. And since there is also less demand, there is less production and competition.

Although these days Vista Outdoors has a near-monopoly on ammunition manufacture in the United States. And they are acting like it. No primers, and selling nearly all their consumer production to big box retailers and now direct to the consumer. They won't even open any dealer accounts. Why bother discounting to dealers when they can reap retail prices and triple profits selling direct? They are really killing the industry - local shops won't survive without ammo sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts