I love my P-3AT and P-32........but

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Sockeye, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sockeye

Sockeye New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Like most of you, I love my P-3AT and my P-32, however, with the ongoing ammo shortage problem, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.  It seems to me that from time to time 9 mm, 40 mm and 45 mm ammo is more readily available.  There are some really nice, small and light weight CC handguns in the marketplace right now that use the more available ammo.  Almost weekly, another one pops up.  With the shortage of .380 and .32 ammo, it may almost put the sales of these wonderful guns out of business. This is not just a Kel-Tec problem, but Bersa, Ruger the other .380 handguns out there, problem.  Perhaps it's time for the gun manufactures and ammo manufactures to come together in an attempt to resolve this ongoing problem.  After, one cannot exist without the other.

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The ammo shortage is getting better, I found some 32acp at my LGS a week ago or so. They had 10+ boxes in stock of mixed fmj and jhp. I have also found some .380 online at a fair price (sold out now).
    Give it some time it will fill the stores again.

CJ

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Was at a Walmarts in Naugatuck, CT this past Sunday, they had some .32 ACP ammo but unfortunately no other center fire handgun ammo.

Take care...

4. jnn7404

jnn7404 New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I agree .45 are almost always available. But give it some time .380's will be back. If nothing else keep the kel-tecs and get you a .45 for the time being. I have my eye on either a springfield xd40 sub compact. It's a .40 cal with a 3" barrel and comes with a 9rd and 12rd magazine or a Smith and Wesson mp40. Its hard to find a good .45 in a sub compact with the same specs.

I wish I had a time machine then I would've beat all the hoarders in the hoarding game!

5. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    .380 ammo is the most expensive round around here, more expensive than .45, if they have any.   :(

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Besides the lack of ammo, another, bigger reason, I've got my full size 45 back out is the every day reporting of home envasions by groups (4 or 5) and robberies outside of buisnesses. If it continues, I might open carry a carbine.

Any one else seeing a sudden increase in armed crimes

7. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    This is exactly why I am once again purchasing handguns after a 30 year lull. Every week there is at least one report of a day-time home break-in, even with people at home at the time. Their dogs are being shot. the homeowners pistol whipped or worse. Minute markets are being held up, sometimes multiple times. And lots of bank robberies, car jackings, etc.

8. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Its not that bad here... although 2 hours ago my parents were eating at Village Inn and 3 shots were fired... Apparently BGs were breaking into cars in the parking lot when the cops arrived and there was a fire fight. I don't have any more facts than that, and that my parents were stuck in the parking lot for a long time. I don't have a .45 yet, saving for one, probably a Glock 21.  My PX4 subcompact or P3AT will suffice for concealed carry. The .45 will be for home security  >:(
    BTW, back to this thread, I bought a box of Hornady .380 last weekend, nearly passed out when they told me they had some at Peterson Firearms in Albuquerque.

9. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    In light of ammo shortages I think Keltec should offer a P3AT sized 9x18. Shoudl be an easy conversion and MAK ammo is still fairly easy to find.

10. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    No way. I will be in abq this weekend. Maybe I will swing by. How much were they?

11. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I just checked, they were $18.35 for 25 rounds Hornady Critical Defense .380
    But I have no doubt its all gone.

12. Cincy_Ron

Cincy_Ron New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Sockeye makes a good point. I've been stopping at various Walmarts regularly and haven't been able to latch on to any .380 at all. Got an email from cheaperthandirt that they had 50 round boxes of .380 for $18.10 a box. For availability it said "Plenty". I logged in an hour after I got the email and they were out of stock again. I would think that at some point the lack of ammo would start to affect sales at Kel-Tec...

13. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    This is bad. I don't see it getting better here in Central FL. It's bad that some people are sitting on thousands of rounds, and I can't find a box or two of .380 FMJ to break in my P-3AT (much less a 25 rd box of +P).

While I was out and about today, I stopped at 5 Wal-Marts in the Tampa region. No .380 at all. No 9mm. No +P of any caliber. The total of what I saw at all 5 Wal-Marts was: 10 boxes of .357 WWB. 2 boxes of .38 sp WWB. 3 boxes of .32. 2 boxes of .25, and enough .22 LR ammo to start a war. Plenty of shotgun shells, and some .223. No ideas or estimates when some .380 may come in.

I guess if I want ammo bad enough, I'll have to buy some at $30 for 25 rds at the gun show next week. I saw American Eagle and WWB .380 for almost $40 a box at the last show a couple of weeks ago. I found it for $18 a box on-line, plus about $14 shipping, per box.

14. randyr5

randyr5 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    I have had pretty good luck lately finding 9mm and 40S&W at Wal Mart. Got 500 rnds of 40 ($12.47 per 50) and 800 rnds of 9mm ($8.97 per 50) in the past couple of weeks. All FMJ target/practice stuff. No 380, although they say that they have been getting it in but it sells quick.

15. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Another visit to WalMart today. :( Only pistol ammo they had was .25 auto, and the guy said it has been that way for some time...

16. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    Our local Wal-Mart seems to never have ammo when I'm in the store but there is a sign that states that there is a three (3) box max. purchase. I was told by the clerk that that is the company policy. Seems like maybe it is not.

17. randyr5

randyr5 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Our local Wal-Mart seems to never have ammo when I'm in the store but there is a sign that states that there is a three (3) box max. purchase. I was told by the clerk that that is the company policy. Seems like maybe it is not.[/quote]

It varies from store to store. I was in one with a 3-box limit, but all the others around here have a 6-box limit per day.

18. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009
    I can't even find any to fulfill a one box limit. Several times we've "just missed" some 9mm, but no .380 since I bought my P3.

19. randyr5

randyr5 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Same here on the 380. I just ordered a couple of boxes from Cabela's. Both on back-order. Don't know when I'll get them.

20. zero-niner

zero-niner New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    The Ammo Shortage is why I have not bought a P-3AT and looking at the PF-9 now. I have plenty of 9MM Ammo and Components.

CR ><>