I just ordered a CT Laser Grip for my P3AT!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ClayMan, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I just ordered a Crimson Trace LG-430 Laser Grip for my P3AT!!!! ;D

I ordered it right from Crimson Trace:

https://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/ShoppingCart/tabid/138/Default.aspx?addtocart=p.53

Here are some pics (stolen from the CT forum http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33695.0, thanks ;))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't wait for it to arrive. I'll be sure to let you all know how it works out.

I also just ordered a couple of the 1-round mag extensions because I think I'm going to need a little more hand grip due to the CT laser grip. I'll try it out with a regular 6-round mag and with the 1-round extended mag and see what happens.

I have been carrying my P3AT in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and I love it (http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html). I carry it in my front pants pocket and it just dissapears...the perfect CC gun and CC holster. And because this holster is inexpensive (I think I paid $17 at a gun store), I might modify it to fit my gun with the laser grip if the laser grip turns out to be a keeper.

BTW - I'm a new member to the forum, but I've been a KT owner for some years now. I originally had a P32 and then bought a P3AT when they first came out. I've got a 1st generation with hard chrome and I love it. I had the hard chrome on the P32 as well. I sold the P32 after I got my P3AT and it proved completely reliable. I have had no failures of any kind with my P3AT right out of the box...no fluff and buff, no break-in, or nothing.

2. David_the_Gnome

David_the_Gnome New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It looks great, I'd buy one for my new P3AT except that I only paid $200 for the gun itself. :eek:

3. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    David_the_Gnome - "It looks great, I'd buy one for my new P3AT except that I only paid $200 for the gun itself."

You say that as if it is a crime that a great gun only cost $200 ;)

I actually think its great that I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for a quality gun. So, now its even easier for me to justify spending money on accessories since I didn't break the bank buying the gun!

4. Logan

Logan New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Looks like a great addition. Let us know how it does.

5. clayflingythingy

clayflingythingy New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I have a CT Laser on my primary CCW. I like it. If you have never used a laser it may take a couple hundred rounds to get used to it. It did me.

Please provide a full report on it.

thx

6. haroldohio

haroldohio New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    ClayMan;

I looked all over the Crimson Trace web site and can't find the laser grip for the P3AT. Its not listed under 'products'. I tried your link but I can't figure out how you got there. The Crimson Trace forums have not announced that its available yet.

7. orangehole

orangehole Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I am on a mailing list from Crimson Trace. They sent out an email a week or so ago saying it is avaiable. I am debating CT vs Arma laser. I prefer CT products and the extra $50 isnt that much if a concern but I am waiting for another guinea pig to try this out and hear some reviews.

8. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    There was a thread about the new CT laser here:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194013725

The general consensus was that the ArmaLaser is a better laser at a better price. The Armalaser has a zero pressure instant-on switch (no mechanical switch to keep pressure on, or to wear out), holds 4 batteries instead of 2 (less frequent changing), has a master kill switch (no master switch on the CT), the shape breaks up the outline of the gun better when it is concealed, there are already holsters made specifically for a P3 with a mounted ArmaLaser, and the Armalaser is only $159. I was initially impressed with the design of the CT laser, but after comparing the features, IMO the CT would only be a bargain if it was actually priced much less than the ArmaLaser, but certainly not at $50 more.

But as they say, to each their own. Competition is never a bad thing in business. The consumer will always win.

9. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    The website is goofy...you can't find this laser on it.  I received an email from CT (like someone else said) with the link.  All you get is a "shopping cart view" as if you are going to order it.  There aren't any pics of the laser either.  Its not very "user friendly", but I suspect they are working on getting it set up normally like their other products.

10. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I have a CT on my 357 and a Armalaser on my P3AT. After having experience with both types, I am going to buy a CT for the P3AT as well. 2 critical design factors make the CT better IMHO - 1. control - the laser is on only when you press the button, not every time you put your finger in the guard. what if I need to shoot something without shining a light on it? 2. reliability - I have had several occasions when the Armalaser would just not sense my finger. Had to clean the sensor off, wipe my finger off - then it would turn on. I wouldn't want even a BUG to behave that way. Another nice thing is that the amount of finger space taken up by the CT appears to be less than the space you give up with the Armalaser. I won't know that for sure until I try the CT, though. Finger extension sure looks like a requirement, though. Their web site is fubar, so I'll try ordering by phone tomorrow.

11. armalaser

armalaser New Member

Jul 14, 2006

Wheelguy, your touch sensor should definitely not be acting like that. You should have it go on 100% of the time you touch it. Which generation is your unit? The Gen 3 touch sensors have had a pretty flawless track record so far.

12. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    The website is goofy...you can't find this laser on it. I received an email from CT (like someone else said) with the link. All you get is a "shopping cart view" as if you are going to order it. There aren't any pics of the laser either. Its not very "user friendly", but I suspect they are working on getting it set up normally like their other products.[/quote]

The web site has been updated, you can use this link to check it out.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/KelTec/tabid/298/Default.aspx

13. haroldohio

haroldohio New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Are there any holsters available for the CT Laser Grip for the P3AT or P32?

14. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Heck I got the fever,I just ordered one also.Discovered they,re made in Wilsonville,Oregon.Just a short distance from where I live.I,ll have it on friday.I,ll keep you all posted...

15. haroldohio

haroldohio New Member

Sep 11, 2004

I've got the fever too and some left over Christmas money to spend. Now what I need is a holster for that laser. In Ohio you can't pocket carry without a holster when you are in an auto. Anyone have any ideas what holster would work?

16. CTC promised delivery this Friday?

17. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    UPS 2nd day,shoot(no pun intended) if I was,nt so busy I could have driven there and picked it up.My busy time of year however...

18. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I.ll be darned my new laser showed up today.Had it sent 2nd day showed up in one. Will try to give it a go this weekend let y,all know....

19. ClayMan

ClayMan New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Well everyone, I'm sorry to report that I decided to cancel my order for the CT Laser Grip.  :'(

So two Sunday nights ago (the day after I placed my order for the CT grips), I was restless with my thoughts focusing on my P3AT and the laser grips.  So the best cure for that was a trip to the range (I belong to a club with a heated indoor range with 24/7 access).  Of course I brought along my P3AT in addition to some of my other guns.

My P3AT had been completely realiable with no malfunctions ever due to the gun (I had a box of crappy ammo that gave me problems once, but it was absolutely the ammo and not the gun).  But that night, after shooting a few mags off, the gun all of a sudden quit firing!  I was getting light firing pin strikes!  The primers were getting hit lightly...enough to leave a small dimple, but not enough to ignite it.  And it wasn't the ammo, i.e. hard primers, because I had 4 different brands and I had the same problem with all the ammo.  I field stripped it and found no apparant problems.  I had been shooting some Wolf ammo, which although fairly good quality and consistent, is pretty dirty.  So I flooded/flushed the firing pin with about half a can of RemOil and that, I believe, has fixed the problem.  I guess some carbon or something gunked up the firing pin.  But I didn't have very much .380 ammo with me and I only had about 2 mags of ammo to run thorugh it after "fixing" the problem.  So, because my confidence in the gun is now compromised, I decided to cancel the laser grips until I can regain my confidence in my gun...I need to run a few boxes through it without issues to be confident again.

But I would like to give my appreciation to CT concerning the whole thing.  I sent an email requesting to cancel my order that Sunday night.  I was pleasantly surprized that they received my email, cancelled my order before it shipped, refunded the money to my credit card, and sent me an email response, all first thing on Monday morning.  Talk about customer service!  Especially for a cancellation.  Kudos to CT for their commitment to customer satisfaction!

So I don't believe my problem is specific to my gun or P3ATs in particular.  I simply had a problem that is common to most semi-autos...they need to be kept clean and lubed to function well.  I have to take some blame for this issue because its probably been a while since I squirted some RemOil in the firing pin assembly.

Here's another thread "Trusting your P3AT for Defense" http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1198166842