I have a proble with Field Striping...Help please

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jasonsweeney, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jasonsweeney

jasonsweeney New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    When I first got the P3at I made sure I knew how to strip it and clean it. It worked perfectly. I went a had a great time shooting it. very Accurate and only 1 jam. I went home to clean it and when I popped out the assembly pin and pulled forward on the barrel something clicked and now it is stuck tight as a drum. I cannot figure out how I did this. The slide is stuck in place and will not move forward or back. I hate to send it back into Kel-Tec since I am sure I am missing something here. I know I am doing it right, I did pull the right pin. It’s as if a spring popped inside and has jammed it up. i can't figure out how to take it all apart now with our removing the slide. Anyone heard of this happening? Any ideas?

2. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Re: I have a proble with Field Striping...Help ple

Hi jasonsweeney, Welcome aboard.
    I had the same problem.
    The recoil rod slipped off of the notch on the barrel.
    I was lucky, a little playing with it, it came apart.
    I now, as the slide is sliding ferward I hold the spring.
    To keep the rod in the notch, works every time.
    Have fun with your new friend.
    Charlie.

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

Welcome Jason and it's good to hear from you Charlie. You may have tried this already but wiggle the slide back and forth, and side to side to see if anything will move. My P11 did this very same thing last night as I was trying to take it apart and I figured out that the barrel had slid forward at the wrong time. Like Charlie said, sometimes the guide rod can lock everything up and sometimes it's something you wouldn't even think of, like the barrel. Let us know how it goes for you.

4. jasonsweeney

jasonsweeney New Member

Jul 25, 2009

Thank you both. good news is I did get it off. The bad news is that I had to remove some of the other pins that should not have been removed in order to do it. Like the hammer pin, which now I cannot get back in. So, long story short I have cleaned the gun and called Kel tec and spoke to Bill. He recomneded I send it in, which I did this morning. Hope I get it back soon because its the best back up I have ever used. (except for this hickup) I trust Kel Tec will fix it. On another note, since Mike Williams has left, who is the gun smith down there?

5. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Hate to break it to you but it will be gone for 6-8 weeks most likely. I had mine a week and had to send it in, and its been gone a month now. I hope I get it back closer to the 6 weeks than 8!

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

you spoke to him.