I have a new P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by whit101, Jul 7, 2008.

1. whit101

whit101 New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    First I don't understand how to post a new supject.  So, Im tagging on to "Failure to Feed".

I have a new P3AT and have fired about 150 rounds, all ball...right out of the box.  No fluff No Buff.  Although that preocess looks very cool.

At 30 yards, shoot 7 rounds, bad guy gets 5.  

Let it cool off.  

Yet, I need a trigger mod to lower the pull Lbs.  Who can do it?

Whit

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    OK. I moved yours from the one you posted in. so you now have "started a new subject"

You can use the modify button to change the title to what you would like

When on the P3AT page that list all its post
    at the top of the page you will see button "start new topic"

3. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Normally the p3at trigger is only a little over 5 lbs. That long trigger pull & wt is only safety. Shooting it & dry firing w/snap caps helped mine smooth out a lighten a little. Check at top of forum, think there's some info on "fluff & buff' on helping trigger?

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Well, the easiest way for you to improve accuracy is to shoot from a reasonable distance.  This is a SD pistol, not a target gun.  30 yards is about 4 or 5 times the appropriate range for this gun.  Most folks practice with these guns at a distance of a few feet to maybe 10 yards.  Where I shoot, the pistol range is 7 yards.  If you put 5 of 7 shots in a man-sized target from 30 yards, you are doing quite well.  

As was said, the DAO trigger pull is the only safety on this gun and 5-6 lbs is not a bad trigger for this application.  There are pistols with DA triggers that are 2-3 times as heavy...  no kidding.  For instance,  the new Ruger LCP runs about 1 pound heavier than a P3 while the NAA Guardian has a 10 pound trigger pull.  Practice, and up closer.  ;)

5. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
     Ditto the 30 yard info.  It's always fun to see what you can do, but 30 yards is a loooong poke for a DAO mouse gun.  I have had small pistols like snubby 38s that shot very well at that range, but never a DAO.  As DAOs go, the trigger on the P3AT is very good.  I've shot some that were just impossible to shoot well.  The Fluff and Buff is a must do if you intend to shot the gun seriously.  It will improve the trigger feel, most likely drop the effort required, and improve the function.

If you get past that and still feel a lighter trigger would help, talk to Two Pistol Packer.  He has a drop in kit that lightens it up.  I have one on order.

IMO the stock trigger is quite usable.  Having a lighter pull may or may not be in your best interest.  If you are skilled with pistols in general and can practice on a regular basis you will likely benefit from it.  If you rarely shoot and have little experience with other pistols, then the safety afforded by the stock pull is a good thing.  Again, just my opinion.

David

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Pack's trigger mod is for the P11

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    There's an LHS kit for all of them - P11, PF9, P32, P3AT.

8. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

9. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I know I'm a newbie, But I've searched and cannot find the answer I'm looking for. What does LHS stand for? and what does it do for my 3AT?

10. Not just your opinion David-  I do not want to have to explain to an itchy district attorney or a jury why I had a "HAIR TRIGGER" on a self defense gun.

Range guns--- you bet... My slicked up glock 17 has about a 2.5 lb trigger!  But I would never use that for self defense.

11. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    It stands for "light hammer spring" and it lightens the trigger pull, but does not change the travel length. It's Two Pistol Packer's mod, send him a PM for more information.

12. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    It stands for "light hammer spring" and it lightens the trigger pull, but does not change the travel length. It's Two Pistol Packer's mod, send him a PM for more information.[/quote]

^^

Thanks much.  I appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.  
    [​IMG]

13. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
     I agree NAS.  In a defensive situation the adrenaline is flowing and really light triggers can be a liability, especially to minimally trained individuals.  Luckily the P3AT also has a long stroke so I feel quite comfortable going lighter on it.

It should be noted that N2PP has carefully engineered more than the hammer spring to get both safety and reliability from his kits.  I have done this sort of thing in the past, but believe me it takes a bunch of work to get it done right.  The mass and spring load on the FP must be matched to the new hammer spring profile.  That must also be calibrated to prevent inertial discharge if the gun is dropped.  If I remember right the 2PP kit doesn't discharge until a perfect muzzle strike is delivered from 8 feet.  That is actually BETTER than the stock gun.  Correct me if I'm wrong 2PP.  As much as I like doing this stuff, I'm happy to just write a check and get a kit that is already thought through and tested.

14. Black_Prince

Black_Prince New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    DUH??? I don't get it. The Kel-Tec is a last stand pistol. It is NOT a target pistol, but I see where people are reloading it and wanting nets to catch the brass. I see where people are shooting it at 30 yards or putting laser sights on it. This little pop gun is made for sticking it in the bad guys ear and pulling the trigger 7 times real quick. The FBI stats show most gunfights occur at 7 yards. You DON'T NEED sights at 7 yards. If you can't hit a man sized target at 7 yards, you don't have any business with any pistol.

15. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Ah, but some of us LIKE to play with our toys. 100 yards is way out there for a .45 cal pistol but I do like shooting at clays on the 100 yard berm with my P90. Heck I even hit one once in a while. ;)

16. NEEDS vs WANTS.... besides... I am not here to tell people what THEY NEED... I am here to report what [highlight]my experience is[/highlight].......

and for a littel lightedhearted BS.

Newbies that stumble in here can some times start out rough around the edges then eventually de-burr.

But then again ... some grow on us even if they are HARSH and RUDE!  ;)

Maybe one other KTOGER will understand and appreciate my last line... while others will assume I am talking about them!  ::)