Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What a beast. Not bad for being 45 years old. Did you buy it new?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The company I worked for bought it new, and I bought it a few years later for 10% of the original price. Also have the 48" tiller attachment.

Reactions: fez

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I need info on the 6 speed trans. It's a Peerless Tecumseh. I was going to drain the fluid but can't locate a plug. Also need to know what fluid? Some say it's 80-90 gear lube others say it's packed with a grease and must take trans apart.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Here a link to the Tecumseh service manual. You may have to dig a little to find your specific model. Looks like some have oil & some have grease. If grease you might just leave it alone.

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Te...m_-_Transmissions_&_Differentials(691218).pdf

Here are a couple of links to owners manuals I found when searching for "Craftsman 2006 DLS 3500 owners manual"

https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0306108.pdf

http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/craftsman/craftsman_lawn_mower_product_list.html

Have a good weekend fez,

Jim

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for that info. I'll take the battery and battery case out again and see if there are any numbers on top. If not it's crawling around time. LOL. Shifts fine just want to keep with maintenance as the gent who had it can't remember what was done anymore.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
If it's actual grease it probably is "lifetime" lubed. I noticed one of those pdf had pictures of the units for ID. Have fun playing with your new toy.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can see it's going to be kinda like having another car to maintain. More involved then my walk mower. I did come to realize that at 73 it's going to be less wear and tear on me. It was a work out with the walking mower in this fla heat. I broke up the mowing into 2 days now. I thought of it as couple of days of exercise. The one time I used it so far I did the complete lawn in about the same time it took me to do half the lawn and I wasn't used to maneuvering it around. The back was easy. Flat with hardly anything in the way. The front is more intricate. Slope going into the drainage swale and things to get around. Got into a tight spot once and couldn't back up or go forward. Son had to assist with a push. Got to see what works best. Back up here go forward there etc. Turning radius is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Hey, maybe I'll hot rod it like I see some guys do. LOL.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok. I found out it is an MST trans and uses 16oz of 80-90 gear lube. When you take the battery out there is a pulley on top of the trans. Under the outer edge of that pulley is a rubber plug. I was thinking of pumping out the old fluid and refilling with the same amount that came out as I can't figure out the proper level and don't want to over fill. By the way if the fluid has been in there a long time should I leave it alone? I know with an automatic trans in a car there could be problems if you change old fluid.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
If it doesn't smell bad I'd just leave it alone. If the unit doesn't show signs of leaking the level should be ok.

BTW, that top pully is where the trans one the Kohler powered mower I have is shot. Nearing wallowed out inthe trans case. Someone before I hauled it up from Brad's place probably dumped the clutch a lot at higher revs. It was used when he got it & he had an idiot kid mowing for him toward the end. Mower is beat up but the motor is good.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts