Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a new thread. My daughter has a cleaning service and most of her clients are old and use a lawn service now. I thought one of them may have a rider they don't use. One did. A Craftsman 2006 DLS 3500 46in. Was sitting for 3 years but the fuel was emptied before is was stored. Had new blades. I changed the oil. Cleaned out the carb. New battery. A little play in the steering but runs and cuts fine. Has one intermittent problem though. Turn the key and nothing for 2 seconds or turn it off then back on then it cranks and starts. I cleaned batt cables and every connection I could find. New fuse. Starter solenoid maybe?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Did you clean the connection of the ground wire to the frame? I added a star washer to ensure a good connection.

Reactions: fez and RAT76

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did that. I got a solenoid coming. The old one was the original. Had a 2006 date. Couldn't hurt. LOL.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way sometimes I get no clicks. Sometimes 1 or 2 clicks and sometimes rapid clicks. The batt is putting out 12.6 volts. I should have tried starting by bridging the 2 posts but for got to do that. I think if it starts that way the solenoid is bad. My electrical diagnostic skills are not the best. LOL.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds similar to the problem I had. On my tractor, the problem ended up being a wire from the switch to the solenoid was bad. I cut a piece of outdoor extension cord to the proper length and replaced the wire. If you have access to the solenoid, bridging the main posts and having it turn over will tell you that the switch wiring or a safety switch or the ignition switch or the solenoid are faulty.
If bridging the terminals doesn't turn it over, the starter or wiring to the starter are the problem.

Reactions: fez

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Fez, I think I've got you covered.

IMG_20200910_113807.jpg

This is for a DT 3000 18.5 HP. I checked the P/N & it fits yours. You need/want it it's yours for postage. I bought a 2007 for parts & this came with it. It wasn't the starter that was the problem. Broke rod.

PM me your address, in the mean time I'll see what shipping will be.

Jim

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that's the one. The original Briggs and Stratton engine was replaced with a Kohler engine. Different starters. Mine mounts different. Nice offer though. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Dang! I remember reading that now. One of mine has the Kohler, the one that runs real good of course. LOL

You take care fez.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think his Briggs blew a head gasket or he ran it with no oil. Anyway a lot of folks prefer a Kohler.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the battery was pretty new. However, the sticker on the side states 2015. He used it until 2017 then took it out but left it on his concrete garage floor. Not a good way to store a battery on concrete. I was talking to our electrical tech in work and he said just measuring across the terminals and getting 12.6 reading is not enough. The amps could be depleting. I forgot to bring the old one to work for him to check. He said it's from 2015 just get a new one. I did and between the new solenoid and batt it starts like a champ.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of today’s batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems.

These days, the problem of car battery electrolyte seepage and migration has been all but eliminated. Says battery manufacturer Yuasa, “Nowadays, containers are made from a solid plastic that does not allow any current to flow through it, so the batteries do not discharge, even if they sit in a few inches of water.”

Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk’s Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never did test it under a load. An old battery can stratify the electrolyte and the volts will be good but poor amps under a load. Probably what happened. Interesting info about the concrete.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who's familiar with leveling the mower deck? Most info says to measure the end of the blade to the floor. Why not just measure the edge of the deck to the floor?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Who's familiar with leveling the mower deck? Most info says to measure the end of the blade to the floor. Why not just measure the edge of the deck to the floor?
Because the blades and the deck may not be square to each other.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
They probably want you to set the cutting height, which is determined by the blades, not the bottom of the deck.
You need measurement points on the deck the same distance ahead or behind the axis of the blades, as there is an intentional tilt from rear to front (about 1/4", so when the blade is at the rear it isn't dragging on the already cut grass). And it is the blades that matter; if the deck gets bent the bottom won't be square to the blades.
If you measure to the blades, be sure that the tips are all at the same height when you rotate them past each other (they can get bent if you hit a big stick or something). Then measure to the blade tips when they are at the sides so you aren't affected by the rear to front tilt.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I just leveled the deck, then tweaked it if it was cutting a bit off. I imagine your deck edge is not banged up. ;)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
You check height of blade tips, not the edge of the deck. Blades can become bent.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The deck is good. I'm getting some high streaks in the grass. It's not uniform so I'm thinking it's me not overlapping when I cut due to my unfamiliarity with the rider. Only used it once.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The deck is good. I'm getting some high streaks in the grass. It's not uniform so I'm thinking it's me not overlapping when I cut due to my unfamiliarity with the rider. Only used it once.
I think you are right. I had to level the deck on my 45 year old tractor last month; it gave a zig-zag finish as one side was an inch lower than the other.

P1000464.JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts