Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so im one of the ones with the flawless PF9. I found some ammo that my gun just does not like. Hornady seems to be a round that she has issues with. I've tried the Steel Match (FTE, and No Fires), zMax (FTF), TAP (FTF).

Im using just Gold Dot from now on, they are great, they feed and eject every time.

I use the Hornady TAP in my Glock 22 (.40 cal) and they have been super! I think the KelTec just has a personal preference.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I think it might have something to do with the rim size of Hornady's casings. It was mentioned in another thread on here regarding a FTE fix and tuning the extractor that Winchester and Hornady ammo tend to use slightly smaller casings for some reason that are ever so slightly too small for the extractor to really grab, whereas others made by Speer and Federal (I think Federal owns Speer, anyway?) generally don't seem to have this problem in the PF9. Because of slight variances in manufacturing, this is part of the reason why some PF9's (and any other gun) will eat up anything and others only like certain loads. There are some things you can do to "tune" the extractor so it will feed more types of ammo if you really want it to shoot Hornady and certain others reliably, but if you'd prefer to leave it as-is (I would), then just shoot what you know will feed, fire, and eject reliably in yours.

In hand-cycling my PF9, the only ammo I had where it failed to grab the case and pull it from the chamber was with Hornady Critical Defense, so I probably won't be considering that as a carry round in it. ALL brands (except crap like Wolf and Tulammo) work flawlessly in my P11 and my SW9VE, though, so after I just got my PF9 yesterday, I took the Speer Gold Dot 115gr standard pressure out of my SW9VE and loaded it with the Hornady Critical Defense so I could save the Gold Dots for the PF9. A trip to the range next weekend will reveal just how picky my PF9 is or isn't, so I'll know for sure whether it prefers Gold Dots or whatever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if you'd prefer to leave it as-is (I would), then just shoot what you know will feed, fire, and eject reliably in yours
Im right there with you! I cant trust a weapon that is not reliable 100% of the time at the range. its that simple, and with the Speer it is. I'm also a firm believer in "Practice what you preach" which in this case means that I shoot at the range what I carry everyday.

Now, with that said, I still have a good bit of "bulk" 9mm from the gun show that throw down range for trigger pull practice and grip training and have not had an FTF or FTE with, but they often don't fire. Not firing is ammo so I don't factor that into my reliability calculations.

All in all, I love this gun, and it is my daily carry with the GoldDots. I still use the Hornady TAP in my Glock because it seems to like them (and they are cheaper than the GoldDots).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts