Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scraping together my pennies for months in order to pick up whatever gun struck me first. I dropped by my LGS on my way home from a hospital visit this afternoon. My buddy that owns the shop posts his inventory online for folks. In that list was a Ruger SR-22 pistol and a Walther P-22. I've looked at the Walthers for years and just never felt compelled to buy one.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good time to look at the two side by side since I've never seen or held the Ruger before. The Ruger is clearly a copy of the Walther. This is no secret. Ruger hasn't released that many "new" designs the last few years as Kel-Tec owner full well know. That said, Ruger really did a good job on this one.

There are several reasons why I haven't bought the Walther. The barrel, recoil guide rod, recoil spring, and mad release design are just four of those things. I found I really liked the things Ruger did with those things. I liked the Ruger SR-22 pistol so much that I carried it out the door.

I admit I am one that has been very critical of Ruger. But I have to say, although I never dreamed that I'd like the SR-22, I kind of knew I was going to buy it as soon as I held it. I really can't explain it but it just feels more substantial than the Walther P-22. My buddy pulled out a scale and the Ruger weighs one ounce more but the weight isn't it. I really can't explain it. I just like it.:D

I'm going to run out to the range tomorrow with a selection of ammo from my cache plus some CCI Mini-mags I bought. Ruger claims it will digest anything. Friends with the Walther have all told me the P-22 needs Mini-mags or other hot ammo to run reliably. I'll post my results tomorrow. I hope I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats on the new Ruger pistol :) I don't think you will be disappointed on your purchase.
I like the reports I have seen or read on that firearm. I'm looking forward to yours.
Gunblast.com you've got to like that guy. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsDwOAeQqGw[/ame]

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
There are several reasons why I haven't bought the Walther. The barrel, recoil guide rod, recoil spring, and mad release design are just four of those things. I found I really liked the things Ruger did with those things.
If all these things are different, how is the Ruger a copy?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haertig said:
That is a good point as it was in the other thread where you make the same point. Still, the schematic shows the extent of the copy as it does between the LCP and the P3AT. IMO, Ruger really perfected this design. Of course I may be singing another tune after I go to the range tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I bought one to design a grip set, but it's kind of growing on me. I was planning on selling it once I finished with the grips, but I just really want to take it out and shoot it. I like the feel of it better than the Walther, and in my opinion, the sights are far better. I just wish it had a threaded barrel. Now that I've found a few places to get it threaded, it may be a keeper. I'd like to hang on to it as a snake gun for my little fishing get-aways, and to keep with me while mountain biking. It's a pretty nice little gun.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Congrats!

Yeah, this is the gun that I decided to buy for my son's 11th birthday. Like you, it was between the Walther and the Ruger. I'm still a little peeved at Ruger for the support of the Clinton legislation but, what the heck, Bill's dead now. The things that put it over to the Ruger for me were:
  • My son liked the trigger better
  • Ability to digest wide variety of ammo
  • Ease of field stripping and cleaning (made the boy do it himself)
I think it was the right choice.

I know you're gonna like it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
It's not a copy in the way that they copied the P3AT.

It really looks to me like Ruger bought a Walther P22 and pressed it into clay then built up from that. Externally, it looks almost exactly the same and it's almost exactly the same size.

You're right that there are many internal differences and important controls are different too (particularly the Safety).

More than any other recent design, I'd say that Ruger didn't so much copy as take some important design cues from the Walther and then, actually did go on and "innovate" with the design. Yeah, I know. Shocked me too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
This Ruger is one of the guns on our research list for the wife's .22 pistol. She decided she wants one - a .22 pistol that is. I would be very disappointed to find out it's just another copy. I have stayed away from Ruger for many years due to their copying, and (much earlier) anti-black-rifle stance (except for their OWN black rifle!) I was just starting to think about cutting them some slack and potentially buying one of their guns. Used ones have always been fine with me, just not new ones. It's good to hear that this new Ruger, while possibly similar to the Walther, is not a complete blatant copy of another gun.

Actually, I don't think the Ruger looks that identical to the Walther. I think the Walther looks better. From what I've read, the Ruger might have the edge in internal design and robustness however. The jury is still out on that one though.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Actually, I don't think the Ruger looks that identical to the Walther. I think the Walther looks better.
From 15 feet away, they look identical to me. Then again, my eyes aren't near as young as they used to be. <insert grumbling here>

From what I've read, the Ruger might have the edge in internal design and robustness however.
They could have exactly the same internal robustness, but the ease of field stripping the SR22 as compared to the complexity of field stripping the P-22 counts a really bunch.

The jury is still out on that one though.
There have been a lot of reports of the P-22's zamak slide cracking. I've also been pointed to a few threads of accelerated wear on the SR22's aluminum slide, particularly at the hold-open. I guess we'll see.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Nothing wrong with that particular Kool-Aid IMHO. ;)

We currently have more than twenty Rugers in our household... more in our collection, in fact, than from any other single manufacturer except S&W.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I really like my SR 22, have about 700 rds thru it no issues at all.
Nice shooting, dead on sights for me out of the box.
I put reminton gold bulk thru it mostly, but also federal, winchester and cci. Again, ate everything. Easy to clean, and easy to carry if need be.
I cant compare it to Walther, dont have one but have handled one in store.
I liked the feel of the ruger better is all I can say. The two grips they give you with the ruger was a nice feature.
I like Ruger and of course all guns, but this SR 22, GP 100 and my kinda new SR 556 are all great shooters.
Hope you like your new gun.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I made it to the range today. I spent the next five hours putting 1000 rounds through the little Ruger. I used Federal, Federal AE, Remington, Fiocchi, CCI and Winchester in it. Of that, I used several different types of ammo including a box of Remington Subsonic which was flawless. Except for the occasional faulty round, all but one ammo was great. I will never use Federal AE ever again. Every other round was undercharged and would not cycle the Ruger. I will be contacting Federal. I bought a brick of it and I want my money back.

The little Ruger was just a pleasure to shoot. That is why I spent five hours shooting it. :D

On another note, I got to shoot the fabled SR1911 that no one can get. The guy who had it was a Kimber snob. The SR1911 was a gift from his father for his completing law school. The guy actually looked at me and said he had no idea that Ruger even made a 1911. He was VERY surprised that it was such a quality firearm. He was actually serious. I guess with law school, he spent the last three years in a cave. I got the impression that had I had $600.00 he would've sold it to me right then, right there.

Anyway, he let me put seven rounds through it. I put all seven in under one inch at 7 yards one handed. :D I fell in love. Too bad, I have little chance of finding one. I hope I run in to the guy who had when he takes to a gun shop to trade it in on one of his beloved Kimbers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's good to hear nice range reports on the little Ruger. In rimfire, it isn't much more expensive to shoot the better ammo from leading manufacturers especially if you are shooting a auto loader rifle or pistol.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kent1955 said:
It's good to hear nice range reports on the little Ruger. In rimfire, it isn't much more expensive to shoot the better ammo from leading manufacturers especially if you are shooting a auto loader rifle or pistol.
The only ammo that gave me real trouble was the AE. It was so bad I doubt my old Marlin 60 would have functioned with it either and it will usually run with ANY ammo until it gets really dirty. Sadly the Marlins don't have as many aftermarket options as the 10/22s do.

I really liked the Remington subsonic load. I think I'll use that round when I'm first teaching my youngest daughter to shoot it. She's thirteen but she's tiny. She's a head and a half shorter than her peers where my oldest was a head taller than hers at the same age.

I'm now looking at buying a tactical 10/22. The one that comes with the ATI folding buttstock. My dealer says he can get it for my for less than three bills. That's a fantastic price considering the fact he wants $ 310.00 for a regular 10/22 with a very cheap black plastic stock. The ATI tactical stock costs over $ 100.00 by itself.

The ATI folding stock is also a collapsible stock which will shorten the length of pull for my daughter. I had originally wanted to get one of those really small Rossi 22lr/.410 shotgun combo guns but my buddy says that everyone he's sold one to has had all kinds of trouble out of them.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
That's a fantastic price considering the fact he wants $ 310.00 for a regular 10/22 with a very cheap black plastic stock.
I thought 10/22's were more like $189 (on sale). If you're talking about the stainless one with the black plastic stock, maybe $225 or so. But $310?! That seems quite high to me. Maybe I'm behind the times. I bought a new stainless one for my son about 1-1/2 years ago and I seem to remember it being $225-$250. Somewhere in that price range.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. In general, the reports on it look favorable. It looks like you got a good shooter. Good that it feeds assorted types of ammo too. I have not had the chance to examne one. Might check one out at Academy Sports next time I get there. I have looked at theWalther and have seen used ones turn up at gunshows pretty oftern now. I am not really impressed with the Walter. Also had the ISSC gun for a while. I was definately not impressed with that gun.Been hung up on the :Ruger Mks for years. It's hard to break old habits. But I am usually willing to try another Ruger.

The most I have of any brand is Ruger. So the possibility of an SR-22 would be good, but it would most likely be used. I just buy used guns most of the time, no other reason. I am assuming it will be a good while before one turns up at a show, but you never know. The reports on the gun seem to be good. I am also assuming that there will not be many turning up used at good prices for a while if the guns are truly reliable.

Well, I might just have to give some thought to swapping one of my Ruger Mks. Kinda hard to do.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Ruger Soup

I also have a SR22 over 1200 RDS not a burp.The LCP has 600RDS not a burp.
I wont have a unreliable gun . You dont need a fluff and buff or try differant ammo and they can't say limp wristing as a excuse for a non reliable gun .

Attachments

·
Banned
32 Posts
No cracked slides or broken ejectors. no double ejectors and no trips back and forth to mother ship .Let the name calling start ?????? But I know your jealous

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
No cracked slides or broken ejectors. no double ejectors and no trips back and forth to mother ship.
None here either. Check the list below the flag.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts