Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, I might be new here, but I have certainly been around the block a few times. Why bother with the washers? Just mail the slide back to Keltec for replacement. Probably cheaper than a bag-o-washers too. What am I missing? ???

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
p3at said:
...Why bother with ....? Just mail the slide back to Keltec for replacement.... ???
Same way I feel about grease, what is that all about :eek:

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Well I for one like the washers. They serve a few purposes (to me). One , my P3 was starting to form a ridge (peen) and the reports were that several people were getting the same problem with their replacement slides. When I fix it I don't want to do it several times. The washer also acts as a buffer . On this small powerhouse I feel it will give added life to more than just the slide. It also acts like a permanent lube the the guide rod.
And far as I can tell they don't stink but this thread title ..... is not very welcoming

G

·
p3at said:
Seriously, I might be new here, but I have certainly been around the block a few times. Why bother with the washers? Just mail the slide back to Keltec for replacement. Probably cheaper than a bag-o-washers too. What am I missing? ???
whatever floats YOUR boat ;D

·
Registered
449 Posts
burley said:
One , my P3 was starting to form a ridge (peen) and the reports were that several people were getting the same problem with their replacement slides.
A lot if not all P3ATs start to form a ridge on the top part of the guide rod hole. I think this is completely normal and caused by the guide rod pushing upward when the slide cycles backward and the barrel drops to accept another round. Many may be misinterpreting this a the start of peening. Mine has this and it stopped many rounds ago. Yours may truely be peening, but hard to tell without a look-see.

burley said:
And far as I can tell they don't stink but this thread title ..... is not very welcoming
Relax burley, it's a take off from a line in a movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madres, with Humphrey Bogart.
"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges." I found it amusing. ;D

Welcome p3at < Now that is going to be confusing around here.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

"Badges? We ain't got no badges...I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"--Gold Hat
"The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (1948 )

But I do like pasta......

G

·
;D

I love this board!

But dang... I guess I won't ever make it to retirement with these anti-washers threads all over the place.

Maybe I should drop the outrageous $5.00 price of admission to what... a self addressed stamped envelope???

Any way...
P3AT... Glad to have you here.

I would consider the fluff and buff, good clean and lube.

golden loki fluff and buff

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

new gun prep
http://1bad69.com/keltec/newgunprep.htm

dissasembly
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

lubrication hints/tips
http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#Lubrication

Oh.... and another link just for P3AT:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Frien...TF8&s=books&qid=1184939430&sr=8-1

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Just to clarify, my thread was in no way intended as a criticism of those who use washers! I considered it and just figured, hey, not worth the effort...principally because I would likely screw it up anyway! ;D I in no way think using washers is a bad idea, on the contrary, I admire your guys' inventive spirit. I'm just convinced that I personally ought to leave it to the masters!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
One reason to use the washers is that is just another option.

Another is - - One forum member returned his slide(s) five times before he got a good one (they kept sending him bad ones). A washer would have been a lot less frustrating and a lot less expensive (shipping charges).

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
peaceful99 said:
A lot if not all P3ATs start to form a ridge on the top part of the guide rod hole.  I think this is completely normal and caused by the guide rod pushing upward when the slide cycles backward and the barrel drops to accept another round.  Many may be misinterpreting this a the start of peening.  Mine has this and it stopped many rounds ago.  Yours may truely be peening, but hard to tell without a look-see.

Relax burley, it's a take off from a line in a movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madres, with Humphrey Bogart.  
"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges."  I found it amusing.    ;D

Welcome p3at  <  Now that is going to be confusing around here.
I know the line in the movie; how am I to know he's kidding/how do you know that I 'm not?

I do know about peening, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
But dang... I guess I won't ever make it to retirement with these anti-washers threads all over the place.
I got the washers in the eventuality that I may need them. Unfortunately, my retirement will now be delayed another year. :'(

Seriously, though, I'll probably never be able to retire, because my wife spends more money than I can bring in. I'm glad I have them, the washers and the wife, that is (just in case she sees this).

G

·
nicneufeld said:
Just to clarify, my thread was in no way intended as a criticism of those who use washers!  ...

Another Pulp Fiction Favorite quote!

Butch: So we cool?
Marsellus: Yeah, we cool.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
JFB said:
My P3At won't cycle properly with just oil. A little grease on the rails and hammer interface.....works like a charm. YMMV

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
RAT76 said:
My P3At won't cycle properly with just oil.  A little grease on the rails and hammer interface.....works like a charm.  YMMV
While there are always exceptions, I think most KT pistols benefit from some strategically placed grease. It is harder for a light slide to overcome friction than a heavier one like those found on most pistols. :-/

G

·
JFB said:

RAT76 said:
My P3At won't cycle properly with just oil.  A little grease on the rails and hammer interface.....works like a charm.  YMMV
Now my turn to  
 I think JFB was being a bit facetious about not using oil grease!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.