I could not get 200 rounds thru my P3AT today...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Makarov_9x18, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Because it was so dadblasted cold! I know I told you all that I would report back after 200 rnds but I could not wait to try'r out.  The wind was from the north at 20mph and the snow was blowing and flying everywhere.....But my new P3AT was absolutely flawless with the mixed bag of 75 rounds I did throw down range...I fired off 50 WWBulkpack of 95g plated flatnose and 25 Wolf 92g JHP, each fed and extracted perfectly. Mixed them up in the mag and nary a bobble nor hitch.
    Just got done cleaning the little pistol and there were no surprises, none of that nasty slide peening issue, no galling, no metal shavings, nothing at all negative to report other than my hands got danged cold and my buddy Arthur is showing up to supply his usual unwanted pain in the joints. Must have a second mag, this reloading one over and over has to end, who has the best service and price??

You folks still rock, so does my KelTec!

jb     :cool:

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Re: I could not get 200 rounds thru my P3AT today.

So when your palms burn and blister, you can blame frost bite. ;D

3. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Congrats on the succesful first outing.

Just a word of caution, if the wolf is steel cased I wouldn't shoot anymore of it in the P3AT.

4. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas

makarov - i haven't seen a one P3 mag since i bought mine a month and a half ago. posted on a few forums that i wanted one and have had very little response. only one retailer (gander mtn) had one but i wasn't going to pay no 30 bucks for a stinking little magazine!

5. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007

zeke: It was steel cased Wolf, will this create a problem with my P3??

jb

6. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

The standard answer is commie ammo for commie guns. No offense meant given your name.

I'm suprised that you didn't have any problems with FTE's. I'm pretty confident that KT suggest you only use brass cased ammo.

I know Wilson shoots some Blazer aluminum 9mm in his KT's but I'm not sure if he does in the .380.

My concern is that you may wear a groove in the little shelf opposite the extractor. These guns are right on the edge of the envelope of preformance for their size. It doesn't take much play in the extractor (like loosening 1/4 turn) for FTE's to show up. A groove in that area would have the same effect. I doubt you did any damage with 25 rounds, but I would avoid the steel case stuff in this gun in the future. Not trying to throw you into a "Did I ruin it" frame of mind, just a word of caution.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Not necessarily, but if you ask KT, they will not recommend steel-cased ammo.  It tends to be harder on the extractors.  The casings expand when fired but do not contract as readily as brass.  They tend to stick in the chamber somewhat and are harder on the extractor.  With bigger, beefier guns/extractors, it is not as much of an issue but these featherweights need every advantage.  I would stick to quality, brass cased ammo.  Having said that, your pistol passed a good test.  :cool:

8. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007

Well see now, I learn something every single day I am still on this earth! I will let my Mak eat the rest of the Wolf and feed my P only brass. This is why I visit forums before and after I make a purchase, whether it is motorcycles, trucks or guns. After doing this for years, one gets an understanding about forum behavior, both good and bad. A well monitored forum keeps the rants in check and allows a free exchange of useable information. Maturity and exposure allows one to understand what is valuable and what is BS.

Thanks!  jb

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Yup, save that Wolf for your Mak.  That's all my IJ-70, SKS and AK eat.  They, of course, were designed around steel-cased ammo. Granted, there are lots of folks that shoot steel-cased ammo in a variety of guns with no issues. But with these little light Kel-tecs, I don't go courtin' no trouble. ;)

10. jocko

jocko Guest

blazer aluminum and commie steel cases are a big difference. The aluminum won't hurt the 380 kt, the steel cases will in time cause issues. Stay away from the steel cased ammo. Buy brass ammo first choice but I have shot the aluminum cased cci ammo with zero failures.

11. jocko

jocko Guest

Maks will eat anything. Just sold my top of the line German Mak today, super handgun, went bang every time, a real peace of work.

12. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005

Steel cased ammo puts more stress on the extractor.

My 1G P3AT shows brass markings above the ejection port on the slide.  Brass slamming into steel will leave a cumulative few molecules of brass with every round.

Now imagine steel slamming into steel at high speed.  The steel in the Wolff cases is no doubt softer than the steel of the gun, but will mar the finish of the gun as well as add other stresses.

She's your baby, feed her the good food.

--Plex

13. jocko

jocko Guest

u didn't hurt it, shooting 25 rounds of steel in it is like running a tank of regular unleaded gas in a car that only runs on Premium. do it alot and see what happens :'( :'( :'(