I can't decide, HC P-11 or blued-slide P-3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Axeman, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Today I stopped in at the LGS where I recently bought a P-3AT after weeks on a waiting list for any and all KelTec models, and I found a hard chromed P-11 lying in the showcase. I paid $269.99 for my P-3AT just 3 weeks ago,  and he now  has a HC P-11 tagged at $259.99.  My original plan had been to buy a 9mm either a P-11 or P-9 whichever came in first, but after waiting for a while I decided to take whatever KT came in first and that resulted in buying the P-3AT.

His helper says it's priced lower because KTs are easier to get from the factory distributor now and demand has slacked off.  My first thought was to try haggling out a trade-in deal with my almost new blued P-3AT traded in on his HC P-11. The owner was very busy with other customers, and while waiting I decided not to jump into something until I thought it over. Now I am undecided, I have bought a set of scarce .380 reloading dies and have scrounged up approx 150 empty .380 brass cases, and I have an order of 250hard to find round nose .355"  diameter bullets in shipment.  The bullets would work in the P-11, but I would have to locate another batch of brass for the 9mm and buy another set of 9x18mm dies if I can find a dealer somewhere on the net with a set in stock. What to do, make do with the more concealable .380 for pocket carry, or lose some bucks on the .380 dies and brass and then lose some more bucks on a swap-out deal with the LGS?  As my thread title says, I can't decide. Anyways, it's very late and my mind is too sleepy to make a good decision, so I'll just wait and see if anybody has some good advice by tomorrow afternoon. The P-11 probably won't stay in that showcase more than a day or two because the shop was crowded with customers and looky-loos when I was there for an hour or so this afternoon,  and most of them appeared to be serious buyers.

BTW, the LGS also got in a shipment of .380 Gold Dot ammo today, but I didn't buy any because I didn't know if I would be trading in the P-3AT.  I probably should have bought a couple of boxes anyway since they would be easy to resell if it turns out that I don't need them, although the helper guy said ammo is becoming more available too. I wish somebody would tell Walmart that.  No WM I have been in for the past 2 or 3 months has had any popular caliber handgun ammo in stock, and the clerks don't know when or  even  if any will come in.

2. hump

hump New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I already have a P3AT and P11 but if I find a HC for that price I will own it also. HC P11's are very hard to find around here.

3. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    I would like to have both guns myself and the price is right for that P-11, but my mad money is at a low point right now and I need to stock up on reloading components as soon as they become available again. It's not like I really need another gun, I have 15 here at home at last count and I have 2 more out on loan to my nephew.  Now that money is a scarce item around here and my wife is in and out of the hospital every few weeks she's asking why I needed the P-3AT. I told her I needed it because I didn't have one and the gun store did. I'm not sure that would work again if I brought home the P-11 without trading in something else for it.

4. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Go talk to the guy.... what do you have to lose? ;)

5. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Each pistol has its purpose (if not, you can come up with something ;)). Keep the P3AT; you will wish you kept it later, and just have to buy another one. Save up for the P11, it will be worth the wait.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1
    If I had to pick only one of my ccw's to keep it would more than likely be the P3AT. I dont leave home without it. There will always be more P11s anyway, maybe you will find a good deal on a used one.

CJ

7. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    [quote author=CH link=1236921415/0#3 date=1236957911]Go talk to the guy.... what do you have to lose? ;)[/quote

Oh I'll be in there again soon, probably  around the first of next week. When the owner isn't busy with a paying customer I may do a little exploratory haggling to see if he's in a mood to do some serious horse trading. Actually,  his $259.99 price for a chrome  P-11 is as good as it's ever gonna  get around this area, and I probably should grab it now and think about selling the .380 later by way of a newspaper want ad if I decide I can do without it.

On the other hand I may just keep both, who knows what's coming next?  If the Magic Kenyan  gets his way on a gun ban  a  K-T of any model may be worth a couple thousand greenbacks a year from now, and  ammo  may be going for 5 bucks a round if you can find any.