How's this for an example of KT service?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Sigmeister, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Sigmeister

Sigmeister New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I bought a first generation P3At from KT quite a while back. It was a great gun, you know all the reasons why. Well it was stolen from from truck one night. I replaced it with a Gen2 because it served its purpose like no other gun can. Well after nearly three years my local police department calls up and says they have recovered it! I go and pick it up ( I never thought in a million years they would actually give it back to me, but they did). It looked like it had been on the floor board of an old pickup truck the whole time. It seemed to operate though. I took it to a gun shop who test fired it with no problems. I tried cleaning it up myself with a wire wheel. Knocked the rust off and it didn't look too bad, but quite a bit of pitting. I call up KT and ask them if they will refinish it and check it out for safety and operation. They say "send it in, we'll let you know if there will be a charge". Well I did, with a long letter explaining the whole scenario. About three weeks later I receive it, refinished, checked out and ready to go, all without charge. Now that's what I call service. Good old American taking care of business.

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    WOW!!! very cool...Welcome to KTOG ;)

3. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    That's excellent service, way above and beyond anything KelTec was obligated to do. One reason I decided to buy a P-3AT instead of an LCP was reading on this site about the service KelTec gives it's customers. After over 50 years of owning literally scores of firearms of all types I have only had one experience with a factory service department. That experience was with Taurus about 16 years ago, and it was  bad, very bad, and worse.

4. 9mm

9mm Banned

Dec 6, 2008
    I like cool stories like this thanks, wouldve been cool to see a pic of when u just got it back. Congradulations

5. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Kel Tec service is unsurpassed.

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to the forum! I'm not at all surprised by your positive Kel-Tec experience. If nothing else it just makes good business sense.

Take care...

7. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Great story, glad you got your gun back.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    And now you have a spare.   :cool:

P.S.  Get a lock box for the car.  I use this one and it works well.  The larger size (only marginally larger than regular) will hold a P11 and a P3 + an extra mag for each.  It hides well under the seat cabled to the frame.  It isn't Ft Knox but it will surely thwart a smash and grab, and then some.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045006228564a.shtml

9. Sigmeister

Sigmeister New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Here's what it looked like before KT refinished it, pretty rough.

[​IMG]

I don't have an after photo. The refinish didn't completely fill the pits but it looked very respectable.  

I'll never be sure if I did the right thing, but I sold it. I already had a Gen2 (the replacement) in mint condition and a friend offered me $175 for it. Yet with all the history I may regret it more than any other gun I've ever sold. The $175 and $38 bucks bought this "home helper" for me from Dicks. It was $319 marked down to $259 because nobody would buy it, I got them to knock $26 10% off for a couple of scratches and used their Club card with a double coupon that gave me enough points for a twenty dollar gift card. Who could pass up that deal? And for those who hate the finish, it comes in quite handy here in the desert of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

10. Stealth52650

Stealth52650 New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    They are the best out there as far as taking care of you.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    BAD KARMA! :eek:

After 3 years that gun came back to you and you sold it?

I think that is very bad medicine. :-/

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    On a purely metaphysical level I have to agree.  That little bugger should have had a very special place in your heart after coming home - kind of like the prodigal son.  But then again I might also always be wondering if that one ever was used to hurt someone   :-/  Ouch.  This fence hurts.

-Scott

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    In truth, I understand that most folks see guns as an inanimate object, a tool. Personally, I pretty much never sell them - only buy them. :)