Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh there's improvement to be had from them, no doubt. There's gas exiting the barrel, and that can be utilized, but there's far less gas involved in the recoil of a shotgun.

That's also a very tailored test showing how much they can improve things with a well controlled shot being taken, as being strapped to the ~2.5 pound gun-bench and strapped down with bungies adds quite a bit of vertical recoil control to begin with, akin to a shooter with solid down-force that takes a step back with every shot.

That test is akin to calipers for gauging body fat: It's effective as a relative test to show which brakes are better than others, but you putting a V6 on a Benelli isn't going to reduce the muzzle rise instantly to 0.1" for example.

And when you're comparing spending $140 or more for the better performing muzzle brakes, versus $20-40 to add several ounces of barrel or mag-follower-cap weight, or changing ammo types to tailor the recoil to yourself instead, it's all tradeoffs. For raw cost? The added weight generally matters more, as changing the gun-to-projectile weight ratio scales recoil to the same amount. So the lighter the firearm the more added weight helps.

For comparison? The KSG/KS7 is roughly 2/3rds of the weight of the Veyr 12 in that video. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the V6 Brake and I like it a lot. When I first got my stock KSG years ago (no muzzle brake or butt pad) and tried to sight it in, my shoulder was done after only four 1oz slugs. Now with the V6 brake, the felt-recoil is very tame, and even more so with a Limb Saver pad. I was able to take a 4-day training course with the V6 brake and my shoulder lasted the whole course (which by the end of the four days was 175 rounds of bird shot, 255 rounds of 00 buck shot, and 70 rounds of 1oz slugs). I could go all day long with 1oz slugs now and actually enjoy them! I haven't compared the muzzle rise before/after, but I don't think there is enough barrel length for the compensator ports to push the barrel downward like what was seen in the video mentioned earlier on the VEPR 12. But then again, I didn't have the KSG on a bench slide either, but against my shoulder while standing (torso tends to pivot about lower back during recoil).

But rather than mention obvious things that would seem understandable, I think it would be more helpful to point out things that aren't as obvious. For one, the muzzle blast might be close to pointing towards your neighbors, if they are standing at your side, and even more if they are standing up next to you and you are down shooting prone. So it would be good to remind them of your muzzle blast area. A few times my classmates mentioned feeling the blast. I felt it a few times myself when I had them try my KSG with the V6. I could feel some particles from the plastic wadding, nothing painful, but good to have eye protection on as always. Another thing, a few indoor ranges may not let you shoot a shotgun in the range with a muzzle brake, only outdoors. Thirdly, I didn't permanently thread lock my muzzle brake on purpose because I like to be able to take it off in cases that I need or want to, such as at indoor ranges. It hasn't been a problem and it hasn't shifted, but it may make it more challenging to find a (crush) washer that is just the right thickness to get it to clock properly upwards.

To be honest, it was the massive recoil of the stock setup, and the convincing comparison video that sold me on the V6 brake. I also spoke directly with the designer of the V6 (Pat Harrington) before buying it from him.

I haven't tried the howitzer brake to compare, but would love to try.

(Personally, I actually am a bit fascinated with muzzle brakes / compensators. I also have an XD-40 V10 that is ported. But the most effective muzzle brake / compensator I have is an Ares Armor Effin-A on my rifle. If over-tuned, it works unbelievably as effective as shown in the online videos!)

Hope this helps your decision. If you need more testimonial on the V6 brake, just let me know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
What is the best muzzle break for sub 2000 g2 9mm? How effective is a muzzle break? Thanks and post picture if you can because I would like one that also looks cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I

it also helps with sholdering the KSG if you are 6'3". I have the extended + a limb saver.
I know it's been a while for this post, BUT, i just ordered the extended butt pad from Keltec. What size limbsaver works with the extended?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know it's been a while for this post, BUT, i just ordered the extended butt pad from Keltec. What size limbsaver works with the extended?
Same size, just sits back a little further so it doesn't 'shade' the M-Lok holes on the butt-stock at all so you can use a sling attachment there without issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate all the info on this thread. Thanks for all the food for thought.

I'm not a huge fan of the V6 muzzle brake, partly because of the looks, but also because the ports seem to point more directly back toward the shooter. Has anyone had that experience, especially as compared to the Howitzer 70?

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know of a comparison between the Hi-Tech Howitzer 70 and the Mcarbo Sherman Tank muzzle brakes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate to pee in the Wheaties, but reduction of recoil by 70 percent, on a 12gauge shotgun, with the use of a muzzle brake, resorts to physics only found in The Twilight Zone.
I saw someone on YouTube test it and they basically said that with shot, it did shit... but with a slug, it was noticeable better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
II'm not a huge fan of the V6 muzzle brake, partly because of the looks, but also because the ports seem to point more directly back toward the shooter.
I like the looks of the V6 and it's on Kelteks website so they must support it. Supposedly it pushes the nose down, not back at you.

I find it bullcrap that ALL of these companies throw out numbers saying 30%, 55%, 80% less recoil. Put it on a rail with a sensor and PROVE it. It's all marketing and macho bullcrap.

I have no idea how the "Howitzer" which seems like 97% air does a better job than other muzzle brakes. The "Howitzer" was designed for large shells on a freaking HOWITZER cannon! A brake on a cannon can't be universally suitable for a shotgun, pistol, or rifle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just saw some Russian muzzle brakes. They say they are made to a Vepr-12 and Saiga-12 standard. But it says any 12ga can use them with a thread adapter. As in what for example?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts