Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the extended lower rail by Hi-Tech Custom Concepts http://www.hitechcc.com/product/HTC-107X.html

They also have a non-extended rail, both the same price. I like having the extra inch, and also think it looks better aesthetically on my KSG, but that's because I have the Howitzer muzzle break sticking out.

Quality seems top-notch to me. No issues whatsoever adding attachments. I've been very happy with it.
Guessing it's pretty much just an easy slide on, on to the stock rail of the KSG? Thanks for all the feedback so far!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're welcome!

One edit to what I just said: there isn't a spacer for every bar, there are only two or three. Just so you aren't expecting to get more than you should.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Some guy had his vertical grip break off his lower rail and blew his hand off. Read here https://www.thegunwriter.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

I've also read that he was using an already-broken grip, but better safe than sorry IMO.
A whole lot of misinformation when you dig down thru the details.
The injuries were predictably devastating.
The first guy's VFG slid off the front of the rail. The rail didn't break.
https://www.thegunwriter.com/17484/a-devastating-accident-with-the-kel-tec-ksg/
TWG said:
"The attorney cites the compact nature of the KSG, and the fact there is nothing on the rail to “prevent the grip from sliding off.”
They also noted alleged problems with the forward grip: “Nothing but a polymer nipple secures this grip to the rail — this nipple partially sheared off during first use.”
Clearly a problem with the grip, not the rail.
The second guy had his grip "break off of the rail".
https://www.thegunwriter.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/
It is unclear if the grip broke, was already broken, or the rail broke.
Matt Stanek of Kel-Tec said:
"Kel-Tec, he said, is not taking any “direct action” as a result of the injury.
He was unaware of any lawsuits filed against Kel-Tec stemming from any injuries with the KSG."
This speaks volumes. I'd say the grip broke.
All of pics of broken rails posted here were obviously not from shooting but from an extreme sideways force applied to the VFG on the rail.... like putting your foot on a long VFG and trying to unscrew the really-really-tight barrel nut with a wrench:rolleyes:.
The bottom rail is polymer not metal. If you want a metal one, add it.
I have yanked, tugged, jerked, and viciously-cycled mine with all my might for years to no ill effects. I believe along with KT and the grand lack of lawsuits, that there is nothing unsafe about the factory bottom rail. Accessories do need to be carefully mounted on it though, just like any other rail.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree with BH. Pick a strong VFG, preferrably with a long clamp and 2 mounting bolts, and consider it good to go with a Gen 2 lower rail. It took me awhile to accept that. IMO the KSG needs a VFG to run optimally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
after reading this about the lower rail and what I read on another blog, I called kel Tec and talked to Sean. He said that several years ago they replaced the rail with one this is metal reenforced and is not necessary to buy this type.
For you that are interested about the magazine followers they are suppose to be good for about 2,000 rounds. Sean recommended to take the mags apart and remove the parkerizing by either steel wool 00 and 0000 and then use a dry lubricant in there before shooting the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
545A8347-8764-4A20-98A6-53B0B66F5E25.jpeg
i can’t find good comparison data to see which one deals best with recoil.

Thanks in advance
J
I couldn’t find any real comparison data either... I did purchase the Howitzer70 and tried it today... a buddy and I shot a box of slugs and a couple boxes of #7 shot, all 2 3/4 inch. He had to move farther behind me from the blast... I do like it. No I don’t see 70% reduction, definite reduction. Feels more like a push, not a sharp kick. My 458 SOCOM kicks more. I would recommend it, I did purchase the steel option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 37052
I couldn’t find any real comparison data either... I did purchase the Howitzer70 and tried it today... a buddy and I shot a box of slugs and a couple boxes of #7 shot, all 2 3/4 inch. He had to move farther behind me from the blast... I do like it. No I don’t see 70% reduction, definite reduction. Feels more like a push, not a sharp kick. My 458 SOCOM kicks more. I would recommend it, I did purchase the steel option.
Thank you for bringing this thread back on topic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Hi-Tech Crusher short breacher and the melee pyramids on the front of mine. To even out any ridiculous recoil i may have issue with, i bought the extended butt stock pad and don't find recoil being a problem for me. I really don't feel, it being a shotgun, that any of the compensator/muzzle brakes on the market to be enough of an improvement to warrant the added weight and mass. I would recommend the extended buttstock pad though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I've shot my KSG with no recoil reduction mechanism and got my @$$ handed to me. It's the first shotgun I've ever owned so when I pulled the trigger the first time, the rise and recoil dug into my cheek and shoulder so much that I had to take a good break in-between loads. I had a headache the rest of the day too.

I invested in a limb saver AND a high-tech howitzer muzzle break. It will be interesting to see the compounding recoil reduction at work. Hopefully, the break is everything that everyone is saying it is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I
I don't mean to derail the topic again but i feel the extended buttstock pad to be a better choice if you don't have one.
it also helps with sholdering the KSG if you are 6'3". I have the extended + a limb saver.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So, I've shot my KSG with no recoil reduction mechanism and got my @$$ handed to me. It's the first shotgun I've ever owned so when I pulled the trigger the first time, the rise and recoil dug into my cheek and shoulder so much that I had to take a good break in-between loads. I had a headache the rest of the day too.

I invested in a limb saver AND a high-tech howitzer muzzle break. It will be interesting to see the compounding recoil reduction at work. Hopefully, the break is everything that everyone is saying it is.
I am guessing the "headache" was because of the force shock on your body and is a Chiropractic issue. Likely you were miss aligned to begin with. I always tell new shooters to "...just let it happen..." -(oddly enough thats also my pickup lines. o_O)- I also tell them to hold tighter on the slide hand. And relax slightly with the scary black ghost gun pistol grip of death hand to give the gun recoil a different path to take. Its something i learned. I also tell them it jumps! Its going to send that 7/8-1oz slug screaming out of its muzzle at 1,000 mph. And that is a lot of energy to hold onto.

:yum: My KSG is a slug eater.

Reactions: Ancientnoob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I came across this thread while searching for the V6 for the KSG and I'm wondering if anyone here has actually shot with it?

Btw, I read this entire thread and it's good to hear a few of you are happy with your Howitzer70 which I was already familiar with, but I'd love to hear any available feedback on the V6 because I prefer it's aesthetic and it also appears to possibly look more durable to impact or drops (comparing the steel versions of each or the aluminum versions of each, but not aluminum vs steel in either direction).
Thanks from my brand new (to this forum) asss.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I toyed around with the idea of a muzzle break. Mostly because they look cool. I'm not "Sold" on the whole recoil reduction theory, but I can't really attest to it because I have never shot a shotgun with one on it. I have put 600-700 rounds through my Stock KSG25 with no complaints about excessive recoil. 3" 00B, slugs, target loads, but mostly 2 3/4" 00B. Of course the KSG25 is quite a bit longer than the KSG so I'm sure there's a difference in felt recoil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I saw a YouTube of someone shooting with a KSG and then a KSG25 immediately after, and his followup shots with the 25 were significantly faster... probably partly from the extra weight/mass diminishing the recoil. Check out the video linked earlier in this thread for an awesome comparison of various muzzle breaks and how amazingly effective they actually are.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Honestly yeah, the math doesn't support major benefits from a muzzle brake or other recoil compensation tool at the end of the barrel for almost any shotgun that's not an NFA. Shotguns just don't have the chamber pressures or gas volumes to have anything left to work with after a foot to foot-and-a-half of barrel.

Handguns benefit greatly due to how short their barrels are, and rifles due to how powerful their charges are; the larger the "flash" you pick up looking down the length of the gun as it goes off (compared to the diameter of the barrel) the more you benefit from end-of-barrel recoil compensation. The alternative is all about adding weight.

And the KSG/KS7 are both light-weight shotguns for their capacity. A Benelli pump with a mag tube extension (so it's 7+1) can end up weighing 9 pounds loaded compared to just under 6 for the KS7; the KSG there's just no comparison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly yeah, the math doesn't support major benefits from a muzzle brake or other recoil compensation tool at the end of the barrel for almost any shotgun that's not an NFA. Shotguns just don't have the chamber pressures or gas volumes to have anything left to work with after a foot to foot-and-a-half of barrel.

Handguns benefit greatly due to how short their barrels are, and rifles due to how powerful their charges are; the larger the "flash" you pick up looking down the length of the gun as it goes off (compared to the diameter of the barrel) the more you benefit from end-of-barrel recoil compensation. The alternative is all about adding weight.

And the KSG/KS7 are both light-weight shotguns for their capacity. A Benelli pump with a mag tube extension (so it's 7+1) can end up weighing 9 pounds loaded compared to just under 6 for the KS7; the KSG there's just no comparison.
I appreciate you taking the time to write that and it's all good info (and I've also seen other similar info shared like this regarding muzzle brakes on shotguns), but judging by what I saw in the video that was shared earlier in this thread, the math/physics (that are actually being considered) apparently don't account for all of the results that are shown.

Here's that link again in case you missed it earlier in this thread. If you don't want to watch the entire 27-minute video you can skip to 5:33 for the bare muzzle test, and then skip to 18:40 for the GK-03 followed by the V6 tests which were the two final and also best results. It's unfortunate they didn't test the Howitzer70 (or the very similar M*Carbo Sherman Tank, which has been discontinued). I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after watching if you're up for sharing again.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts